Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Parc Ferme

Default Epoxy + Urethane ??

Hello everyone. First post!

Lots of great info on this site. Im glad i found it.

Im going to coat my garage floor with epoxy, but i dont know if i need/want a clear urethane top coat over grey epoxy. I would appreciate some wisdom from folks that have done DIY epoxy coatings with and without urethane top coats. The urethane im looking at effectively doubles my project cost. Im trying figure out if im going to get that much benifit for the cost.

If you dont have urethane, do you wish you did? If you put a top coat down, do you think it was worth it?

How has your coating faired over xxx years?

Performance differences between bare epoxy and the top coat.

problems/issues with the urethane - application or performance.

The garage is used for working on cars and motorcyles and general tinkering. Have small mill/drill and plan for a welder in the future. i have made a sub-hobby out of dropping tools.

Any other general epoxy/urethane comments would be great too.

Thanks!
Parc Ferme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
GarageFlooringLLC

Default Re: Epoxy + Urethane ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parc Ferme View Post
Hello everyone. First post!

Lots of great info on this site. Im glad i found it.

Im going to coat my garage floor with epoxy, but i dont know if i need/want a clear urethane top coat over grey epoxy. I would appreciate some wisdom from folks that have done DIY epoxy coatings with and without urethane top coats. The urethane im looking at effectively doubles my project cost. Im trying figure out if im going to get that much benifit for the cost.

If you dont have urethane, do you wish you did? If you put a top coat down, do you think it was worth it?

How has your coating faired over xxx years?

Performance differences between bare epoxy and the top coat.

problems/issues with the urethane - application or performance.

The garage is used for working on cars and motorcyles and general tinkering. Have small mill/drill and plan for a welder in the future. i have made a sub-hobby out of dropping tools.

Any other general epoxy/urethane comments would be great too.

Thanks!
I like a aliphatic urethane for many reasons. I like the look, I like the performance. It seems likes your epoxy is protected and in my opinion it is a lot easier to buff and recoat urethane and keep the floor looking new. Aliphatic is less likely to yellow or crack. Check with Legacy DCS or one of the other epoxy guys here. There are a lot of good ones on this forum.

Thank You!

Justin Krauss
President
Toll Free: 800.956.4301 Ext 203
Garage Flooring LLC
524 30 Road Suite A
Grand Junction CO 81504
Justin@garageflooringllc.com
Twitter: @garflooringllc
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/garageflooringllc

GarageFlooringLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
LegacyIndustrial

Urethane benefits:
UV protection for your epoxy (yes it does help slow the yellowing process even though it's clear)
Extra abrasion resistance
Extra chemical resistance (sometimes double the protection)
Seals flake
Extends the gloss
Excellent medium to carry skid-resistance material (really the best way)

If you are going through with the epoxy do not skip the urethane you will regret it.
100% solids clear epoxy topcoat is NOT urethane and will not offer the benefits that urethane does.

If you want a thicker clear choose a polyaspartic urethane and place at ten mils over your flakes.

Hope this helps your decision.
LegacyIndustrial is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
thegarageguy

Like I tell my clients......its like painting your car and not putting a clear coat on it. Polyurethane or polyaspartic will give you better stain resistance, uv protection, scratch resistance and make your floor last that much longer. Don't let anyone tell you different.

www.bodenkraft.com
Serving NY, NJ & CT

Follow us on:
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Bodenkraft
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/Bodenkraft
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/bodenkraft/
Instagram: http://instagram.com/bodenkraft
thegarageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
AlphaGarage

A good epoxy w/o a clear coat still offers a lot of benefits. Eliminates concrete dust, makes spills easy to clean up, makes overall clean up much easier, looks god, smooths out rough concrete, hides flaws, offers protection from dropped items etc.

We have a client who runs a race fab shop, serious floor punishment (he's posted pics here before, I'll see if I can find 'em). With his first facility, since he knew it was temporary, they decided to not use a clear coat. Just recently they moved into a new 6,000 ft2 shop, and again opted to not have a clear coat. The topper is that for the LiquaTile color they went with white both times.

It won't look as pristine for as long a time, but they'll still benefit from the other features.
Fred@AlphaGarage.com 877-333-GARAGE (4272)

<br><br>
AlphaGarage is offline   Reply With Quote