Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
e30bradley

Default MoS2 grease?

I am rebuilding the shifter in my brother's Volkswagen golf and my bently manual specifies MoS2 grease.. I can't find any online?. All I find is trans and engine additives. can someone send a link for some good weatherproof heavy duty Molybdenum disulfide grease ...or whatever it is Thanks.
97 Ford Ranger 2.3 2wd (D.D. build in progress)
99 Volkswagen Cabrio (Build in progress)
e30bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
Octarine

Default Re: MoS2 grease?

Check out Honda Moly 60, that might be close. It's a 60% moly paste that is very good for high strain gears as the moly is absorbed by the metal and still protects when the paste is flunk off. The regular moly paste in most auto places is like 3-5% moly only.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
e30bradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
Check out Honda Moly 60, that might be close. It's a 60% moly paste that is very good for high strain gears as the moly is absorbed by the metal and still protects when the paste is flunk off. The regular moly paste in most auto places is like 3-5% moly only.
thanks for the reply. But I would prefer something available on amazon.. free shipping is nice to lol.
I'm guessing this is very similar?
http://www.amazon.com/Yamalube-Molyb...6106794&sr=8-1
I can't justify paying $7 to ship something that costs $7..
Old 05-04-2012, 02:11 AM   #4
TransAmConvert

Molykote BR-2
TransAmConvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
spoolgarage

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-SEPTLS...sim_sbs_auto_1
spoolgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:55 AM   #6
Torque1st

Check your local auto parts store. Moly EP grease is not hard to find.
Yes, I am insensitive and yes, not politically correct, and yes, Im sure I offended someone,... -Busted_Knuckles (Me too, plus I am old, tired, and grumpy!)
Read "The Marching Morons" Here
"Works" <> Safe, Good, or Right
"You can't fix stupid." -Ron White
Torque1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
e30bradley

would napa or autozne have high quality, high percentage grease? like a high percentage of the actual stuff suspended in good grease? thanks for the suggestions online but I don't want to pay the shipping fees for a small purchase of grease.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
bcook07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque1st View Post
Check your local auto parts store. Moly EP grease is not hard to find.
+1...you are not re-building the space shuttle here.
bcook07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
RECox286

I'd bet that the VW Stealership would have exactly what you are looking

for. Possibly !

Uncle Bob
RECox286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
bcook07

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECox286 View Post

for. Possibly !

Uncle Bob
yah right...you know they are going to autozone or oreillys and getting it.
bcook07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
chris142

The black grease for Ford Disc brakes has Moly...Thats why the grease is black. It's about $3.99 for a 1/2 qt sized tub.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
Lotek

Don't overthink this one, it's just regular moly grease from the auto parts store. Not a high pressure, high temp situation, damn near anything that won't drip out will work.

Recox, just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living?

Another example of when God turns to Darwin and says "I thought you were going to fix this s@#t".

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

"I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! Ah, it's great to be male!" -Calvin

Last edited by Lotek; 05-04-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
rlitman

Funny, I just made some moly grease the other day.
I was working on a spring powered airgun, and it required a special moly paste (regular grease has oils that can diesel combust in the piston causing damage).
I just squeezed a little silicone grease into a dish, dumped a spoonful of molybdenum disulfide powder into it, and mixed it all up. Had to have been about 80% moly when I got done.
It started out super tacky (as the high vacuum silicone grease is tar like thick), and just got more and more slippery as I mixed it between my fingers.

Years ago, right after Molycorp reopened their mine out west, 1lb packages of moly powder were on eBay for really reasonable prices. I watched about 20 auctions get bid past what I was willing to spend, before I won one at around $25.
Nowadays its more like that for a couple of ounces, but the stuff is really handy to have around, and goes a very long way. An ounce is plenty to do a whole lot of things with.

I've also suspended it in naphtha to dry lubricate camera shutters, and other sensitive parts which must be completely dry.

Here's another source:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183...ly-powder-6-oz

Moly is a fantastic lubricant on steel against steel sliding surfaces. Offhand, I can't think of something that prevents steel on steel wear better (although the graphite contaminant that is often in it does cause wear) and it works in a wider thermal envelope than any grease. Not necessarily so great on other setups though, as it doesn't plate itself so well to yellow metals.

But, all that aside, the manual specified by the OP is almost certainly referring to moly fortified chassis grease. The black stuff. This really isn't something special, and can be found at just about any auto supplier.

Edit: Oh, and if you're really nuts, tungsten disulfide is actually a better lubricant, and as moly's price has risen so much, if you're going to buy one or the other, the tungsten might be the better choice.

Last edited by rlitman; 05-04-2012 at 09:25 AM.
rlitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #14
larry_g

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...003_0283400916

On the napa site...

lg
no neat sig line

Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
larry_g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
e30bradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcook07 View Post
+1...you are not re-building the space shuttle here.
I still want to use the correct grease. The books specifies it for a reason and I've read horror stories about lithium and silicon grease getting stiff and gummy. I think lithium is bad for the bushings too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECox286 View Post

for. Possibly !

Uncle Bob
Yes they would, But I was their yesterday looking for a bunch of parts and the wanted insane prices.. example $93.13 per quart of gear oil. $7.98 for the DRL bulbs ( find them online for .80 each, made in Germany). $58.91 for a thermostat.. Got one made by the same company in Germany for $18. aftermarket ones available for $10.
..they would probably want $30 a gram for the grease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcook07 View Post
yah right...you know they are going to autozone or oreillys and getting it.
No probably not. I have a few different moly greases, just none specify what percent they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
The black grease for Ford Disc brakes has Moly...Thats why the grease is black. It's about $3.99 for a 1/2 qt sized tub.
probably a low percentage at that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
Funny, I just made some moly grease the other day.
I was working on a spring powered airgun, and it required a special moly paste (regular grease has oils that can diesel combust in the piston causing damage).
I just squeezed a little silicone grease into a dish, dumped a spoonful of molybdenum disulfide powder into it, and mixed it all up. Had to have been about 80% moly when I got done.
It started out super tacky (as the high vacuum silicone grease is tar like thick), and just got more and more slippery as I mixed it between my fingers.

Years ago, right after Molycorp reopened their mine out west, 1lb packages of moly powder were on eBay for really reasonable prices. I watched about 20 auctions get bid past what I was willing to spend, before I won one at around $25.
Nowadays its more like that for a couple of ounces, but the stuff is really handy to have around, and goes a very long way. An ounce is plenty to do a whole lot of things with.

I've also suspended it in naphtha to dry lubricate camera shutters, and other sensitive parts which must be completely dry.

Here's another source:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183...ly-powder-6-oz

Moly is a fantastic lubricant on steel against steel sliding surfaces. Offhand, I can't think of something that prevents steel on steel wear better (although the graphite contaminant that is often in it does cause wear) and it works in a wider thermal envelope than any grease. Not necessarily so great on other setups though, as it doesn't plate itself so well to yellow metals.

But, all that aside, the manual specified by the OP is almost certainly referring to moly fortified chassis grease. The black stuff. This really isn't something special, and can be found at just about any auto supplier.

Edit: Oh, and if you're really nuts, tungsten disulfide is actually a better lubricant, and as moly's price has risen so much, if you're going to buy one or the other, the tungsten might be the better choice.
thanks for all the great info

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...003_0283400916

On the napa site...

lg
no neat sig line
Thanks for the link

Last edited by e30bradley; 05-04-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
pop pop

Look for the Moly EP grease that meets the Ford Spec. It came out in the 60's and absoutely will stop wear on poorly lubed parts.
pop pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
Torque1st

Thanks for the shooting supply link for MdS. I will probably run down to the Bullet Hole and pick some up. I have been mixing graphite into lithium grease for years for a special lubricant. The high vacuum silicone grease may be harder to find locally but I have a few places to look.

MSDS:
www.rosemill.com/v/html/msds/Bemol_MoS2_MSDS.pdf
Yes, I am insensitive and yes, not politically correct, and yes, Im sure I offended someone,... -Busted_Knuckles (Me too, plus I am old, tired, and grumpy!)
Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #18
e30bradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque1st View Post
Thanks for the shooting supply link for MdS. I will probably run down to the Bullet Hole and pick some up. I have been mixing graphite into lithium grease for years for a special lubricant. The high vacuum silicone grease may be harder to find locally but I have a few places to look.

MSDS:
www.rosemill.com/v/html/msds/Bemol_MoS2_MSDS.pdf
thanks for posting the MSDS.. I'm not interested in it but maybe someone else is. and I picked up some ford spec moly grease made by valvoline... It doesn't even say it has molly in it though.. Or what percentage. I don't remember exactly what it says. I might just end up using the Honda M-77 mos2 paste I have. does anyone know what percentage that is? It is black grease but has lots of silver particles in it so I'm guessing its a high percentage.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #19
Torque1st

The silver particles may be graphite. Google the ford spec number and see what you can find.

I used my graphite mix on my old VW bug shifter.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #20
chris142

since that moly bearing grease can last 50,000 miles in a wheelbearing spinning millions of times a day I'm sure That your shifter application will be a walk in The park for it.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disulfide, grease, molybdenum, mos2, volkswagen