Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #41
mikester

Default Re: Trailering question

Just do everyone here a favor, have a friend follow you with a video camera just in case things go wrong ! We here at GJ want to see it before it goes on liveleak.com
mikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #42
Falcon67

Echoing what others said about tongue weight. At least 10%, better 15% of the total weight (load plus trailer) on the tongue. When I run with the race car, I'm dragging 5200 lbs. I run 700~800 lbs on the tongue.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #43
wssix99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interex View Post
Absolutely not.

You need to get at least 10% of the load on the tongue or risk a serious accident.

^^^^ Yes! The trailer will handle it, but in order to be safe, you'll need 7-10% of the weight on the tongue.

If you are heavier on the tongue, your front tow vehicle wheels will lift off the ground giving you reduced control.

If you are lighter on the tongue, your trailer will fishtail as you go down the road. (Worse at higher speeds.)

Also, you should be sure to cross your chains.
wssix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #44
terry603

1900 lbs.. two snowmobiles on a trailor with 8" wheels go down the road all the time
terry603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #45
xtremek

I had to drive 60 miles with a tail heavy load. Stayed as far off the beaten path as I could and took it real slow. The normal hour drive took 2. Pulled over whenever anyone came up behind so that I wouldn't hold them up. Constantly checked the trailer in the mirrors and paid close attention to the feel of the tow vehicle. Try your best to load the 10% on the tongue, if not GO SLOW. I was able to cruise 40mph on the smooth roads, otherwise about 20mph. Strap tight. If you have to go tail heavy, DON'T RUSH. And try to be polite to those around you when going slow. Be careful. Enjoy your lift.
xtremek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #46
Motofixxer

I will also agree with almost everyone, weight is fine, length is probably fine. What I would be concerned with is the weight and pounds per square inch on the decking. My lift had like two blocks under the whole length of the posts. So half the weight on each block. Put some steel or extra lumber perpendicular to the decking, or couple layers of 3/4" plywood under it depending on your trailer design and frame.

Click Here for INFORMATIVE Legal Info and videos

Our INALIENABLE Right to Travel Defined Legal Style

Don't Talk to Cops (PLEASE WATCH, Important for any and all Law Enforcement Encounters)
Motofixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #47
HeadsUp

Well I'm sure everyone is waiting to hear about what happened. Sorry to disappoint but it went pretty smoothly. By the time I got to his shop my buddy already had the lift loaded on one of his 6' x 10' trailers. The lift was strapped down using a pair of 10,000lb straps and centered to evenly distribute the weight. The lift was made of pretty rugged angle iron so I was comfortable with the fact it wasn't going anywhere. Getting it home was the easy part. Getting it off was another issue all together. Took 2 hours to get it off. One hour to come up with a plan of attack and other for the actual removal.

Thanks for everyone's post. Some were pretty entertaining.

Last edited by HeadsUp; 05-09-2012 at 06:37 AM.
HeadsUp is offline   Reply With Quote