Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Lighting & Electrical

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #21
Zeke

Default Re: Microwave

I've seen several microwave/convection combos. The heating elements are causing the trippage. New high end micro/convection can use both processes at once cooking the food from the inside while also cooking from the outside.

These things might be the wave of the future. They ain't cheap.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #22
Charles (in GA)

Micro/convection combos used to be common. I have a real nice, about 25 year old Quasar combination unit. I really liked it. Great for baking a small batch of biscuits or a small pizza, or broiling a steak. It worked great till part of the touch pad ceased to function and its too old to get parts for, so a perfectly good microwave is junk. I've noticed a resurgence popularity for the convection/microwave combinations.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #23
Highbeam

Regular non-countertop microwaves take lots of juice. I installed a seperate 20 amp dedicated circuit for my microwave I installed to replace an old vent hood. Fairly certain the instructions required the 20 amp dedicated circuit.

Even if that bugger only uses 15 amps aren't you supposed to oversize the circuit? The microwaves do plug in but they are essentially hardwired.
Highbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #24
Speedy Petey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
Nope, directly from a sampling of microwave oven specifications... The rating on a microwave is the magnetron's output power, not the oven's input power.
I guess I can't see how an appliance (ANY appliance) is rated for a certain wattage, yet draw more current that what is on the rating plate.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #25
Speedy Petey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbeam View Post

Even if that bugger only uses 15 amps aren't you supposed to oversize the circuit?
No, you are not "supposed" to oversize anything. Circuits are sized according to the load served and the condition of the appliance. Fixed in place, shared circuits, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbeam View Post
The microwaves do plug in but they are essentially hardwired.
Plug-in is plug-in. Hard wired is hardwired.
Fixed in place or not is a similar thing.
It either is or isn't.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #26
pop pop

OP should check the instructions as stated. My unit is also a convection/microwave and is on a 20 amp dedicated circuit as it required. Great appliance too!
pop pop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #27
rburke65

What does the mfg. tag on the back of the unit say? For how many watts is it rated ?
rburke65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #28
Fred43

Exclamation Re: Microwave

Sirsloop,
I have fifty years as an electrician and 37 years as an Electrical Contractor - shop owner.
Your reasoning may be correct in that the microwave might not draw enough to overload a 20 amp circuit. There are three other factors to consider beside common sense. It is in the NEC that any outlet added to a Kitchen, Dining area or Dining room be wired to 20 amp capacity. Secondly if you are doing this work without an inspection it is best to play it safer than just meeting code so that there is less chance of problems. Thirdly, if there was a problem resulting in an insurance case, at least they cannot blame this work if installed correctly. Liability is a big thing with Wire inspectors, insurance adjusters and fire marshals. For $5 extra dollars of materials -Please BE SAFE!!!
Fred
Fred43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #29
nehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
I guess I can't see how an appliance (ANY appliance) is rated for a certain wattage, yet draw more current that what is on the rating plate.
So you buy a 35" television... The width of the television itself is not 35 inches. The 700 watt, 1100 watt, etc., rating of a microwave is the output power and the label (should) say that clearly. Or you buy a stereo amplifier with 200 watts output, it will draw much more than 200 watts when you are driving it to full output, as it is not 100% efficient. Same for the microwave...

As to power consumption ratings, there is always a label/plate on the back near the cord that lists exactly how much power it draws from the outlet.

30 x 60, oops, 30 x 72 (it got larger!) with a Rotary 10K lift.

http://www.peterhipson.com

AM General H1 NA Wagon (95)
AM General H1 Turbo Wagon (99)
Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi
Saab Turbo Convertible
VW Cabriolet
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #30
Speedy Petey

Quote:

As to power consumption ratings, there is always a label/plate on the back near the cord that lists exactly how much power it draws from the outlet.
THAT'S my point. It CANNOT draw more than the rating plate states. Not unless there is a problem with the unit.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #31
nehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
THAT'S my point. It CANNOT draw more than the rating plate states. Not unless there is a problem with the unit.
You leave me (and I think others) confused. No one is saying it is drawing more than the name plate states. What I say is that a nominally rated 1100 watt microwave oven (which is what you will see on that sticker when you buy it...) draws much more than 1100 watts input from the line. There are many inefficiencies in the system (transformer, magnetron, etc.) that waste input power. IOW, the thing is never, ever going to be 100% efficient.

30 x 60, oops, 30 x 72 (it got larger!) with a Rotary 10K lift.

http://www.peterhipson.com

AM General H1 NA Wagon (95)
AM General H1 Turbo Wagon (99)
Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi
Saab Turbo Convertible
VW Cabriolet
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #32
Speedy Petey

Quote:
You leave me (and I think others) confused. No one is saying it is drawing more than the name plate states.
Well it seemed to me that is exactly what you were saying here:
Quote:
Just for the record, most microwave ovens (non-convection, just the typical microwave oven) are between 60 and 70% efficient. So a 1100 watt rated microwave would draw about 1800 watts of current from the line, or with a nominal 120 volt circuit, 15 amps (assuming 65% efficiency.)

No worries. I get the impression we both know what we're talking about, but are expressing it differently.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #33
sirsloop

might as well put a GFCI receptacle on there... dont want little Jimmy to spray the receptacle down with the dish hose sprayer thing and get zapped ya know while we are in the mood to spend some cash and all! HAHAH
sirsloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #34
sberry

I have seen good micros trip a 15, if its built in I would certainly want a circuit, an extra wire and breaker doesn't mean squat in most cases. When I moved to older home only made a couple wire changes but one was running a piece of 12/3 for 2 new circuits on the counter tops. Most heavy draws I use these circuits, straight from the panel, not hooked in the existing building wiring with who knows how many junctions, etc.

I also do not have an issue with the cheap recepts, have hundreds of them in service, even some with fairly high duty cycle and cant recall the last time I had a problem with one.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #35
Fudog

I thank everyone for the input and I will be putting a dedicated circuit in with a 20 amp breaker. Thanks!
Fudog is offline   Reply With Quote