Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
tball

Default Racedeck...ordering Monday and need any last minute advise!

So, I am ready to pull the trigger on a Racedeck floor. After thoroughly researching all floor options for what seems like months, I have decided I'm going with Racedeck. Ease of installation, appearance and the incredible customer service......and, I haven't even purchased yet....is amazing. My only remaining questions are;

Diamond or Tuff Shield? I'm going with a simple graphite and alloy 2' checkerboard. The gloss finish entices me but concerns me as to how difficult it will be to keep its appearnce as opposed to the duller finish of the diamond.

Underlayment or not? I am so incredibly picky and the noise scares me a bit. Advise from those that have and have not?

I live in northern Indiana, lot's of snow, ice and salt. The garage has excellent drainage at the threshold and about a 2" slope over 21'.

Thanks, in advance, to all that provide feedback.

Tim
tball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
RaceDeck1

Default Re: Racedeck...ordering Monday and need any last minute advise!

Hi

Thank you for choosing RaceDeck!

I will try to answer some of you questions here but you can always call us to discuss as well.

Underlayment - 98% of our customers do not use an under-layment as it could effect the performance of RaceDeck's drainainge and air-flow design and noise is really not an issue, every floor type has their own unique sound. With that said, if you do decide to use one.... we recommend using a synthetic type landscape material that allows moisture to escape ( found at any home depot / lowes). We also recommend trying to just using the area you are going to walk first. ( high traffic, or path to doorway). Either way, you can add or take away easily.

TuffShield Vs. Diamond - that is really choice for you based on how it looks, both will perform well. FreeFlow is also a good addition ( as a parking area) for snowy climates

We look forward to seeing your new garage!
Proudly made in the U.S.A / All under "1" roof - ISO 9001:2008 Certified for Quality

"Imitation Is The Sincerest Form of Inferiority" insist on Genuine RaceDeck® Flooring

"All Garage Journal Members Get Exclusive Deals"

http://www.racedeck.com - 800-457-0174
"My Garage Makes Me Happy™
RaceDeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-12-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
danieldolin

I can tell you from my experience with the floor so far, the regular diamond has a finish that is more glossy than I expected when I ordered. This was a nice surprise as I was expecting a dull floor not going for the tuff shield. I think that in a normal "non show" garage, the tuff shield would have been overkill. The noise does not bother me, you get used to it.
danieldolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
TigerGA

Place the RD tiles in the sun for a few hrs then install. You want to install the tiles when they are expanded.
TigerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
RaceDeck1

All good tips above ...there are some install tips & video on our site here http://www.racedeck.com/install.html and can always call us while you are installing as well

Thanks for choosing RaceDeck
Proudly made in the U.S.A / All under "1" roof - ISO 9001:2008 Certified for Quality

"Imitation Is The Sincerest Form of Inferiority" insist on Genuine RaceDeck® Flooring

Old 05-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
tball

I took the plunge and ordered last week. RD customer service was great and it shipped and arrived as promised. I decided to go with the Tuffshield as they claimed it was a bit easier to clean. I'm now awaiting my rather extensive Gladiator cabinet order to ship so that I can transfer from old cabinets to new and then install the RD. I've trail fitted a number of pieces to get a look and it does look awesome. I'm going t go ahead and purchase a roll of landscape fabric just in case I start to lay it and find the sound that annoying. I'll post some before and after pictures when I complete. Thanks for all the inout this journal provides!
Old 05-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
RaceDeck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post
I took the plunge and ordered last week. RD customer service was great and it shipped and arrived as promised. I decided to go with the Tuffshield as they claimed it was a bit easier to clean. I'm now awaiting my rather extensive Gladiator cabinet order to ship so that I can transfer from old cabinets to new and then install the RD. I've trail fitted a number of pieces to get a look and it does look awesome. I'm going t go ahead and purchase a roll of landscape fabric just in case I start to lay it and find the sound that annoying. I'll post some before and after pictures when I complete. Thanks for all the inout this journal provides!
Thanks for choosing RaceDeck, Look forward to seeing your new garage

Old 05-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
tball

The big weekend is soon upon me. Gladiator delivered tomorrow, son home from college to help, two cases of Coors Light, a couple of sixes of Corona and I am ready! Cabinets first then flooring. Hopefully have pic's. to post early next week.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
RaceDeck1

Have Fun creating your new garage!

Old 05-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
Dan Metzler

Where did you order your Gladiators from? Keep us posted on pics please! Oh and a review on the cabinets would be great!
Dan Metzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
Docholiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post
So, I am ready to pull the trigger on a Racedeck floor. After thoroughly researching all floor options for what seems like months, I have decided I'm going with Racedeck. Ease of installation, appearance and the incredible customer service......and, I haven't even purchased yet....is amazing. My only remaining questions are;

Diamond or Tuff Shield? I'm going with a simple graphite and alloy 2' checkerboard. The gloss finish entices me but concerns me as to how difficult it will be to keep its appearnce as opposed to the duller finish of the diamond.

Underlayment or not? I am so incredibly picky and the noise scares me a bit. Advise from those that have and have not?

I live in northern Indiana, lot's of snow, ice and salt. The garage has excellent drainage at the threshold and about a 2" slope over 21'.

Thanks, in advance, to all that provide feedback.

Tim
So what about the water that gets trapped under the tile? Mildew? I will want to clean the floor from time to time? I want to install some as well but this is my main concern
Docholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
RaceDeck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docholiday View Post
So what about the water that gets trapped under the tile? Mildew? I will want to clean the floor from time to time? I want to install some as well but this is my main concern
I see you have asked this same question on two other threads , so I am guessing you are very concerned with moisture issues in the garage. Feel free to call us with your specific garage details and concerns and we can get you the right product for your garage enviroment.
As I mentioned in the other threads, water can not get "trapped" under RaceDeck, the patent understructure stands 1/2" tall and is completely channeled throughout so water can flow freely and air can circulate eliminating mold & mildew ( and our material is non-porous Poly-Pro and mold will not grow) . Now if you have a floor with deep birdbaths where water will puddle. the only way to fix that is to level out your entire concrete floor.

Last edited by RaceDeck1; 05-29-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
tball

I ordered the Gladiator direct. Perhaps a bit higher price than Sears but they were so incredibly helpful. I'll post before and after pictures when I finally finish.....it is taking longer than anticipated! The cabinets and their Geartrack mounting system are awesome. I did receive two cabinets that had very small dents but are in such a position that they cannot be seen. I did order all of the welded cabinets and not the ones you must assemble. I have checked the quality at Lowe's of the un-assembled and they do not compare to the welded units. All in I have 14 cabinets, the large work bench and the Gladiator refer. Cabinets are all up, tools are almost into said cabinets and with a little luck I'll install RD floor this weekend. Biggest decision right now is do I lay the floor out in a checker board of two by two or more in a picture frame with a border and main field? I have chosen Tuffshield in the graphite and alloy colors which, by the way, are an incredibly good match to the Gladiator product! I am also not using any fabric as under-layment. I can always change if the noise bothers me. Hopefully pic's. on Monday!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
tball

So, floor went in and here is a pic of the semi finished garage. One small problem though! Either RD, Coors or Captain Morgan measured incorrectly and I need an additional 22 tiles! Will finish this coming weekend and post full before and after pic's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg man cave.jpg (66.0 KB, 160 views)
Old 06-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
RaceDeck1

tball - Looking good, give us a call today and we will get your 16 right out. Thanks for choosing RaceDeck

Old 06-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #16
NoPizzaTonite

tball - So did ya use the mesh under the tiles? I saw your thread too late, but I didn't use mesh under mine and while the clickety clack from the tiles was kinda strange at first (especially when walking on them with only socks on) - I kinda got used to it.

Just curious what you ended up doing. Your install looks great!
NoPizzaTonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
tball

No Pizza, no I did not. The sound is a little strange but I don't really mind it at all. I was going to put the landscape stuff down on the high traffic areas but I forgot to pick it prior to install and thought I'd give it a go without. No regrets at all! Ordered the necessary RD that I needed this morning and should have it here by Friday so the install will be final minus the finishing touches of pictures and accessories.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #18
tball

OH, and thanks, No Pizza for the compliment.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #19
RaceDeck1

looking forward to seeing your new garage completed, thanks for choosing RaceDeck

Old 06-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #20
tball

Getting closer! Will finish this weekend