Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Lighting & Electrical

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
rmadursk

Default Starting compressor with light switch

I am somewhat lazy and occasionally forgetful.

I try to remember to turn off my compressor when I leave the shop to save electricity but I don't always remember to do so. Left unattended/unused the compressor runs about once every 5-6 hours. I could try to elimanate all of the leaks but there are probably 100 joints in the lines plus 8 drops with quick connects. When I installed it every joint was checked with soap for leaks but over time I some must have developed. It only leaks down to about 100 psi. I thought about adjusting the pressure switch but would like to know that if something blows (and I've turned off the lights) the compressor will not run on.

So, I want to only have the compressor running if the lights are on. That way it will only be running when I need it.

If you live in the Clarksburg, WV area and would like to do this for me send me a PM, otherwise I am looking for suggestions, pointers to products, other threads (couldn't find any with a few searches).

Thanks,

Ron
rmadursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
BFBOB

Default Re: Starting compressor with light switch

Easy. Hook up the coil of a relay (contactor, motor starter) in parallel with the lights. Connect the N.O. contacts of the relay in series with your compressor switch. Then, the comperssor won't run unless its switch AND the lights are on.
Make sure the relay has a 120 VAC coil, and the contacts are rated to handle your compressor's current.
BFBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
BFBOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFBOB View Post
Easy. Hook up the coil of a relay (contactor, motor starter) in parallel with the lights. Connect the N.O. contacts of the relay in series with your compressor switch. Then, the comperssor won't run unless its switch AND the lights are on.
Make sure the relay has a 120 VAC coil, and the contacts are rated to handle your compressor's current.
Here's a schematic to shed some light on the subject:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CompRly.pdf (19.6 KB, 86 views)
BFBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
rlitman

I've got a whole house style vacuum hanging in my shop for dust collection. To turn it on and off, I have a furnace fan relay, with a 24V transformer powering the coil. I have thin wires that I've taped to the vacuum hoses, with a switch at the end, that controls closes the low voltage circuit on the coil, to turn the vacuum on.

The same thing would work well for a compressor.
So long as you're only starting the motor with this, and you leave the internal pressure switch to do the job of stopping it, this setup should last a really long time.
rlitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
rsanter

Have the switch feed a relay or contractor and you are set.
Pulling direct through the switch will be very short lived

Bob