Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
bRIZZAd

Default Mounting Wall Cabinetry Questions

I would like to install some metal wall cabinets (four sets in total) lengthwise across the back wall in the garage, however - I have some questions due to inexperience

I am curious about the proper way to mount them. Their instructions are of course, straight-forward in telling you to locate the studs & use the supplied lag-bolts (4 total, one for each corner of the cabinet).

My studs are located 24" apart on centre - whilst the cabinets are 26" wide in total. Their pre-existing perforated strips go to a maximum of 24" apart, which is fine.

So installing ONE cabinet, I could ensure it is mounted to TWO studs, using all 4 lag-bolts. However, every cabinet thereafter would not align such that they could be mounted to two studs. I would only be able to mount it to one stud with two lag-bolts.

What is reccommended in this kind of scenario, to achieve four sets side-by-side whilst ensuring it is safely mounted to the wall?

Last edited by bRIZZAd; 05-10-2012 at 11:14 AM.
bRIZZAd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
6th Gear

Default Re: Mounting Wall Cabinetry Questions

I'd do a french cleat: http://www.newwoodworker.com/frenchcleat.html

What I do for a living: http://6thGearAdvertising.com
6th Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
MadMechMaster

It's probably outside of the cabinet makers recommendations, but I would look at securing each cabinet to its neighbor with screws, and drilling my own holes in the back for the studs if needed. I would bet that some of those other holes will line up with studs anyways.

Basically, put them where you want them, and see which holes line up to studs. I don' think that it needs to be exactly symmetrical.
MadMechMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
bRIZZAd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMechMaster View Post
It's probably outside of the cabinet makers recommendations, but I would look at securing each cabinet to its neighbor with screws, and drilling my own holes in the back for the studs if needed. I would bet that some of those other holes will line up with studs anyways.

Basically, put them where you want them, and see which holes line up to studs. I don' think that it needs to be exactly symmetrical.
I considered joining the neighbor cabinets - I'll have to drill these holes myself & get some hardware to do this. Easier with wood cabinets, but this is only 24 gauge steel, so it should still be easy to drill through I'd imagine.

The cabinets, will definitely only align so they mount to a single stud unfortunately, here is what the cabinetry layout will look like, and where the studs are (dotted vertical lines):

Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
vartz04

french cleat them. Or just run a 2x4 length wise behind them and then screw into that 2x4.
vartz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Octarine

The way I most preferred to hang them was to install 3/4" plywood on the wall under the drywall wither in between the studs or to notch the studs. Then you can screw away to your hearts content

Barring that, French cleat is the way to go. Take the time to level it and is strong and fast.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
pattenp

I would do as suggested by MadMechMaster. I would get some very long wood screws and try to anchor the corner of the cabinet at the railing to the corner stud by screwing in the screws at a 45 degree angle. With the cabinets bolted together they will be plenty strong.
pattenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
dittle fart around

If you don't want to do the french cleat thing, just run a 1x4 horizontally across nailed to the studs. Line them up where the mounting holes go. If you don't want to see the gap between 1x4's on the end go with plywood cut to the size of the wall cabinets. Looks like the foundation steps out from the drywall so there's going to be a gap for the tall locker anyway.

The cabinets look like NewAge/Coleman products. Nice choice.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
bRIZZAd

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I suppose it is also worth mentioning, now that Octarine mentioned 'plywood' - that this wall is shared with the interior of the house - so by code, there would be OSB/plywood behind this drywall. It is quite solid & this might explain some of the weird'ish depth reading off the stud finder too. That being said - locations where I wouldn't line up with a stud, a bolt would still bite being that it is going into more than drywall.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
akdiesel
Alliance Member

Plywood might be the easiest to use, but I used some of the 7/8" unistrut/superstrut with the slots on the back side. You could mount the unistrut to the studs every 24" and then mount the cabinets to the strut where ever you want on that channel with the unistrut nuts.
You could also include this to hold your upright cabinet as well to the wall. They come in 10' lengths.
akdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
Steevo

If you have OSB behind the drywall, then just shoot each cabinet into the wall with about six truss-head screws.

I don't need chrome. . . . I like tools with "patina".

My Workbench Build Thread

My Idaho Shop Build Thread

My Shop Photo Gallery

Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
ddawg16

If you do in fact have plywood or OSB under your drywall...then your good to go...

But...it helps to understand what the forces are....

If it was me....I would run a 1x1 steel angle along the wall where you want the bottom of the cabinets to be. Anchor that to your studs with the lag bolts.

Now set your cabinets on top of that steel angle....just run a couple of screws in the top into the drywall....this is jus to hold it temporairly....

Next...run another angle across the top anchoring it to the studs. Now drill through the angle into the top of the cabinets and put in some machine screws.

The angle at the bottom is going to carry a majority of the weight. That is the one that needs to be reallly secure. The lag bolts should be about 1/4" in dia and go into the stud at least 2".

The top is only there to keep the top from tilting out...Those lag screws can be smaller but need to also go into the stud at least 2" if not more...you want good pull strength.

"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

In Progress...2-Story Addition link
2-Story Garage Complete My Garage Build Link
Home for.....
84 CJ7 - With a 'few' modifications.. My Jeep Build Link
And my wife's art Studio...
and 3 kids with more energy than we have...
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
bRIZZAd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
If you do in fact have plywood or OSB under your drywall...then your good to go...

But...it helps to understand what the forces are....

If it was me....I would run a 1x1 steel angle along the wall where you want the bottom of the cabinets to be. Anchor that to your studs with the lag bolts.
Thanks DDAWG16 - that is a good suggestion. I could leave these in after mounting & things would not look all that out of place either. I may go this route to get things moving...
Old 05-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #14
bRIZZAd

Managed to find a photo (terrible quality mind you) of the garage "pre-drywall" during the build and it is indeed covered in plywood behind the drywall.

Good sanity check.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #15
coolreed

I am a Big Fan of the French Cleat. I highly recommend using them.
coolreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #16
ODIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdiesel View Post
Plywood might be the easiest to use, but I used some of the 7/8" unistrut/superstrut with the slots on the back side. You could mount the unistrut to the studs every 24" and then mount the cabinets to the strut where ever you want on that channel with the unistrut nuts.
You could also include this to hold your upright cabinet as well to the wall. They come in 10' lengths.

+1

One of the best ways to go. Will allow you to adjust the cabinets in the future if you need to for additional space or other accessories. HD sells this stuff or go to unistrut.com. Hope this helps.

Ody
ODIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #17
mbatarga

+++ french cleat
mbatarga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #18
Boomer343

As suggested I would run some 1 X 1 x 1/8 angle along the bottom of the cabinets but I would use aluminium as it is easier to cut and drill plus it should blend in without painting etc.
Boomer343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #19
bRIZZAd

Wall cabinets are now underway! Thanks again for all your help guys!

- I used the supplied lag-bolts in the studs to support a slotted steel angle @ the base of the cabinets as suggested by a few members here. Worked great for levelling, & I will leave in place for support afterwards. What is exposed below on the wall will be covered by slatwall soon anyhow.

- Each cabinet is supported by two lag-bolts into a single stud, top & bottom where they ended up lining up. Since the backing was plywood behind the drywall, I used 4 additional truss-head screws in each cabinet too. Very solid.

Last edited by bRIZZAd; 05-11-2012 at 03:14 PM.