Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
e-tek

Default Entire Lift set up/use - reposted

...I'm finally getting the hang of this site and the categories, so I re-posted this thread here. My apologies for wrongly posting it in Free Parking and inserting it into another lift thread - my bad.

I finally got my lift delevered a few weeks back, but got the lions share of it put togther on what was the BEST Father's Day EVER!!! Then, yesterday, I put my first car on it - my Galaxie. I had to widen it from the initial narrow set up spot - so I'm already using it's extra capacity!

So, other than a few VAGUE bits in the instructions (like the air hook-up), it was fairly straight forward. Especially after reading the MANY lift threads on this site over the past 6 months - they helped a lot - Thanks!!

As for the air hook-up, the instructions didn't show the air button or where the air hose connects, but after some CSI work we where able to find the button and figure it out.

I had a friend who had done a few lifts helped me all day and I sure appreciated it!

Of course once we had it all together, the posts straightened plumb (had to move a couple posts a bit with a 2x4 and hammer) and the hydraulics connected, we noticed the entire unit was cock-eyed in the shop.

It was easily remedied with the caster kit, so, although I had said in another post maybe save your money here as you may never move your lift, I take it back, because even if you have to move it a couple inches you'll need the casters.

I was able to put them together, connect them, lower the lift all the way until it was on the big wheels and easily move it square in the shop, then remove them again. I made a rack on the wall beside the lift to get them up and out of the way when not in use.

Gotta say - I`m thrilled. Everyone who`s seen it, again a couple guys with experience, thinks it`s HEAVY DUTY. It`s so heavy duty in fact, that the oil-drip trays are made of heavy stainless...

...these could easily have been made of plastic to save money and weight...or even aluminum.

The only thing I think I might change is how the jack x-bar (youngest is standing on it) moves on the ramps. The roller jack - of course - has rollers that make it glide along the ramps, but the x-bar justs rests metal on metal, which not only takes all the paint off both surfaces, it tends to bind. Maybe once all the paint is scraped off it`ll be easier to move...Or I`ll fab up some rollers. As well, if you open it up to the wide setting, the jack beam and the drip trays are useless...they only fit at the narrow setting.

I`ll be running cars up and down the new lift in the coming weeks, so I`ll update it then. The only problem I have now is: which car goes on first - The Galaxie to do the power steering... Or the 46 Merc to weld a beam...or...

The wifes 240Z SP-2 racer.....

e-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:49 PM   #2
e-tek

Default Re: Entire Lift set up/use - reposted

Here's the first car to go up - my 67 Galaxie. Now I can finally pull the steering gear for a rebuild and get power steering back! I was going to pull it in the pit in my front garage, but I knew it'd be MUCH easier on the lift - plus more fun!

Plenty of head room!

... shop dog....
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-24-2008, 02:54 AM   #3
ovilla

Looking good! How tall are your ceilings?
ovilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:09 AM   #4
Kevin54

Quote:
I was going to pull it in the pit in my front garage,
How about a pic of the pit? I know before long I am going to have to do something due to arthritis limiting crawling around under a vehicle. I would like to get a lift, but if I do it calls for some major ceiling/roof and /or wall work. I wasn't wanting any more MAJOR projects but I may have to get into one more
Kevin54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
Minitucking

Man i hate to tell you but somebodys hand is stuck up the exhuast pipe on that galaxy!! LOL Nice 4 post bro. cant wait till i get my lift.

Garage Build
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16359
Minitucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
gsport

nice write-up.... looks like you done a good job.... i'm just about ready to pick up my lift, probably the second week of july... jim
gsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
Crusty Nut

Dude, I know your stoked to have a lift but this is like the 4th time I've seen you post this cut and pasted thread on 2 different websites. I can only guess there are more.
Crusty Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:43 PM   #8
e-tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Nut View Post
Dude, I know your stoked to have a lift but this is like the 4th time I've seen you post this cut and pasted thread on 2 different websites. I can only guess there are more.
Oh I'm stoked alright - but at least I aint Crusty!
DUDE, What the heck do we do on these sites? We post stuff we do for others to see and we look at stuff others have posted....or so I thought!
Old 06-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #9
e-tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin54 View Post
How about a pic of the pit? I know before long I am going to have to do something due to arthritis limiting crawling around under a vehicle. I would like to get a lift, but if I do it calls for some major ceiling/roof and /or wall work. I wasn't wanting any more MAJOR projects but I may have to get into one more
Kevin - I'll get some pics of the pit up soon...but really, it's just a square hole in my garage floor with 2x6's on top! It must have been a bitch to build too - the original owner told me they went to all the trouble of covering it with a thin plywood and cement to pass inspections, then smashed though it afterwards.
The pit is a great second choice and very useful. It's just easier (and more fun - toolwise!) to use a lift than to get down into the pit, not to mention getting up and down for tools and parts...
Old 06-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #10
SteveU

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-tek View Post
Kevin - I'll get some pics of the pit up soon...but really, it's just a square hole in my garage floor with 2x6's on top! It must have been a bitch to build too - the original owner told me they went to all the trouble of covering it with a thin plywood and cement to pass inspections, then smashed though it afterwards.
The pit is a great second choice and very useful. It's just easier (and more fun - toolwise!) to use a lift than to get down into the pit, not to mention getting up and down for tools and parts...

Do you have trouble with your pit getting water in it? A buddy of mine has one & gets water in his so that you have to pump it out. Put the headers on my camaro using it but the lift is easier
SteveU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
revlover

My favorite are those warning labels... priceless.
revlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:58 PM   #12
e-tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveU View Post
Do you have trouble with your pit getting water in it? A buddy of mine has one & gets water in his so that you have to pump it out. Put the headers on my camaro using it but the lift is easier
No trouble with water in my pit. It must have been sealed with something and it's VERY sandy around here...It can get a little moist however. I was storing stuff in there for a while and noticed some mold on a seat...I should have used some air-dry. Tommorow I'm off and I get some pics of it for ya - I'll start a new thread.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:14 PM   #13
e-tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovilla View Post
Looking good! How tall are your ceilings?
11' - enough room for a convert or sedan, not quite enough for a truck...

Much as I love this lift ...A couple things are drivin' me nuts....As I said, it goes to a wider setting, which is perfect for my Galaxie - and I'm guessing would fit a lot of cars, so I'd like to leave it there - but at this width BOTH the Jack Platform and the oil drip pans don't fit.... had they made the drip trays rectangular they would have fit both widths... and the Jack Platforms could have gotten some extenders to fit both widths...what are other guys doing about this?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:56 AM   #14
jcs_in_ky

Does your RJ-45 jack telescope in and out to match the width of your ramps or is it fixed? My RJ-6 has lots of adjustment in it to match different ramp positions on my HD-12 and I thought yours worked the same way.
John
jcs_in_ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #15
e-tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs_in_ky View Post
Does your RJ-45 jack telescope in and out to match the width of your ramps or is it fixed? My RJ-6 has lots of adjustment in it to match different ramp positions on my HD-12 and I thought yours worked the same way.
John
Just happened to notice your question was never answered John - sorry!
The jack platform that came with my lift was a fixed jack platform, incorrectly included in my shipment. I contacted Jeff and - of course - he shipped the expandable one in short order. Another reason many like BP so much!
As for the actual Rolling Jack - I don't have one yet. Jeff had said he would get me one before Xmas, but haven't heard back yet - I'm still using a bottle jack and stumps....hoping to get one soon though.
Cheers.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #16
c39er

I built a shop pit also. Has fresh fan forced air in and out of it- an absolute must!!!! A floor drain in the bottom. Shop air ect. 4 heavy steel grates to close it up and so I can drive on it. Good lighting in it too. If I built one again I would have made walk down stairs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sHOP%20WORK%20PIT%20002_1 (Small).jpg (26.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg sHOP%20WORK%20PIT%20011_1 (Small).jpg (45.9 KB, 102 views)
c39er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #17
Ray-CA

Send a message via Yahoo to Ray-CA

"the x-bar justs rests metal on metal, which not only takes all the paint off both surfaces, it tends to bind. Maybe once all the paint is scraped off it`ll be easier to move..."

I glued some old mouse pads on mine. They slide pretty easily and don't gouge the paint.

Ray
Old 01-13-2009, 11:26 PM   #18
e-tek

Where did you glue these mouse pads?