Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
OldCarGuy

Default OldCarGuy’s New Toy Shop

When the last of the little ones left the nest I decided it was time to downsize the house and upsize my garages. I purchased a country home in the center of 6 acres of trees in June 2004. It took months of red tape and didn’t start digging until the first of November. I pulled all the permits, purchased all the materials, subcontracted out parts of the construction and tackled a good part of it myself with the help of several friends over the past 12 months.

I added a 30x50’ garage attached to the existing 26x30’ side entrance garage. It has 12’ ceiling height one 18x8 2” thick (14.8 R Value) Wayne Dalton garage door with 3’ high lift and a LiftMaster jackshaft opener. All the walls and ceilings have 5/8’ fire rated drywall. The walls have R-19 and the ceiling has R30 insulation. I installed an Amstrong Thru-the-Wall combination ducted forced air gas furnace and electric air conditioner with 64,000 Btu heating and 29,000 Btu cooling.

I added a 36” man door to the existing side entrance garage and increase the door to 8x18’. The old 7x16 door just wasn’t wide enough for two large SUV’s.

There are a total of 15 double 8-foot fluorescent light fixtures. The center three are controlled by a four-way switch located at each door. Three switches at the front door control 6 lights, while three switches at the rear door control 6 lights.

There are two 50’ long 1” main airline runs with ½” drops along the walls, one with a reel. All 5 of the garages have underground connections to two central 5-HP air compressors with coalescing filters and a refrigerant dryer located in the pole barn.

It took 45 gallons of Sherman William’s epoxy coating for this addition and my two other unattached garages (3,500 square feet total). I just finished that last week and was an experience in itself. I’ll get to that in the flooring section once I resolve some issues with Sherman Williams.

A 42” steel door opens to 48” wide steps that will take you to the 16x50’ by 7’ tall storage area.

I was going to leave it unfinished. But decided it wouldn’t take too much effort to add 6” insulation and 5/8 drywall to the 8” ceiling rafters and 48” high knee walls. Four eight foot double tube fluorescent light the area. No heat,, not yet at least.
OldCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote