Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
shamrock12

Default Wire weld vs. paper tape nail clips

I'm using someone's Bostitch 28 degree wire weld nailer but need nails that are ring shank. Just about every store I've checked only has smooth shank nails. So I then checked Menards and they have Pneu-Fast nail clips but with paper tape. Can paper tape clips be used on a wire weld nailer?
shamrock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
jkeyser14

Default Re: Wire weld vs. paper tape nail clips

I think you will run into jamming issues if you try. Home depot sells the nails (2000 count box) if you have one by you.
jkeyser14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
djkeev

Proper nail angle and proper head?

Try it, I never have but I know that I HATE the tiny pieces of wire flying off at me! Paper I wouldn't mind so much.
djkeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkeev View Post
Proper nail angle and proper head?

Try it, I never have but I know that I HATE the tiny pieces of wire flying off at me! Paper I wouldn't mind so much.
If you are behind the nailer, you shouldn't get hit by anything. If you are nailing sideways in front of your face like the idiots on TV, you are asking for a nail in the face. Little pieces of wire are nothing compared to a nail that rips through your carotid.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
carhunter

I hadn't heard of the wire-weld nails before, and bought a case of 2000 12d nails at a whole sale auction dirt cheap. The thought was I could break the paper apart and have some cheap nails (don't own an air nailer)...But they're all welded together!

Waha! I'm still trying to find an easy way to split 'em up.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by carhunter View Post
I hadn't heard of the wire-weld nails before, and bought a case of 2000 12d nails at a whole sale auction dirt cheap. The thought was I could break the paper apart and have some cheap nails (don't own an air nailer)...But they're all welded together!

Waha! I'm still trying to find an easy way to split 'em up.
A pair of old tin snips. That's what I use when I need to snip a couple off for hammer usage.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
ryaninmichigan
Banned

Try amazon. I am a plastic collated guy myself
ryaninmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
djkeev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
If you are behind the nailer, you shouldn't get hit by anything. If you are nailing sideways in front of your face like the idiots on TV, you are asking for a nail in the face. Little pieces of wire are nothing compared to a nail that rips through your carotid.

In real life construction one at times needs to hold a gun in a less than conventional manner. You are dreaming if you think that you will always be behind the gun.

Dave
djkeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
casperz

I've been using nail guns (real life) since the mid 90's, crawling all over roofs and walls and have never found a need to have my head anywhere but behind the gun. Anyone that does it on a regular basis is seriously asking for trouble.
casperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
shamrock12

Ok, thanks for the advices ... going back to topic ... I need them ASAP so buying online isn't an option for me right now. The nail head and angle of clips are the same as wire weld clips ... just being held together by paper tape instead.

Is wire weld harder on the nailer to push the nail away from the clip? I mean, is there a difference in the design of nailer body that is required in order to accompany wire weld clips?
shamrock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
wnstwolf

Shamrock,
I have the Bostich full head Framing Nailer and 99% of the time use Bostich brand 28 degree wire weld nails with zero jams framing an entire house and even after droping the gun 2 stories into concrete basement floor.
Ran out and instead of going to big box I hit local True value who did not have Bostich brand but I believe Rockwell or something. Third row jammed and was a total PITA to clear. Wire weld 28 degree just different brand. Went back with Bostich brand and all has been good. I find the paper bands are for the new Paslode type of gun (cordless) I just picked one up and it's the cats meow but off topic...

Wire vs. paper may work but if it does not you are left with a mess. Just my .02
Old 07-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
MoonRise

Use the size/type/angle/collation-method of nail that works with that particular gun.

I can't recall seeing guns that could take wire-collated OR paper collated. Wire-collated usually seem to be coil roofing nails and nailers. Paper-collated is 'other' stuff.

OK, checked the Bostitch website, they do make wire-collated 28 deg stick framing nailers. I'd RTFM and make sure you get or use the 'correct' fastener for the gun and the task at hand.

http://www.bostitch.com/default.asp?...5FFRAM%5FNAILS
MoonRise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkeev View Post
In real life construction one at times needs to hold a gun in a less than conventional manner. You are dreaming if you think that you will always be behind the gun.

Dave
I hope you never hit a knot seen only from the backside and catch a nail. I'm not dreaming that it has happened. I've had a few hundred finish nails turn the corner and almost come back at me 180 degrees. Fortunately most don't leave the wood, just stick out in a reminding manner.

Framing nails don't bend so easily, so behind the gun is pretty much fail safe. Looking at the side of the gun, not so much.
YMMV.

I own all the guns and staples seem the safest. But, they aren't called for much.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #14
Mister Moose

I have a Bostich framing nailer, and a guy on the framing crew I hired borrowed it. Put a clip of paper tape nails in it. Jammed and cleared a few times, then jammed badly. He promised he'd get it fixed and get it back to me. Never saw the gun again.

Paper tape nails in those guns - not recommended. There's something slightly different in the nail spacing or something.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #15
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moose View Post
There's something slightly different in the nail spacing.
Nailed it!
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote