Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Mikefromcny

Default New computer time...Which mac would you buy?

Hi guys, so after my '05 thinkpad had finally died, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new mac. Really the only thing I do is email, surf the net, forums etc. No games, video editing, photoshopping, Facebook, twitter or anything like that. My parents have a mac mini, Its a refurb and has been great.

I originally wanted a macbookpro...until I saw the price. I am thinking a iMac or a mac mini and ipad2 for the same money. Anyone here have a similar setup? I can't believe I'm about to spend to almost as much as my truck cost ($1600) The most attractive thing about the macs is they just work. I'm tired of reformatting my hard drive ever 4 months because something happened and losing everything. I'm not too savvy to handle viruses and what not on a PC either.

I've looked on craigslist for some used ones but its not obvious to me if they're any good, too old, was a bad model etc.
Any pros or cons of either setup or thoughts ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
1994 Chevy Camaro Z28 LT1 A4
Mikefromcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Default Re: New computer time...Which mac would you buy?

I just got my wife the 13" MacBook Air. She likes it a lot, and we got the $1100 model. You pay a premium for the Apple stuff, but the overall design is a lot less frustrating to work with.

Then again, going from Windows to Mac is a little like having a Corvette and then getting a Porsche. They're similar enough so that you think you can just go to work on the new one the way you did with the old. But there are also going to be a lot of slight differences that make the transition frustrating.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Stuart in MN

I've had a Macbook Pro for several years and have been happy with it. They do sell refurbished computers on the Apple website, you could check there for a better deal.
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
SweetD

What about a tablet? Aside from Apple iPad, there are some really nice Windows-based tablets out there now for a few hundred bucks - you doing word processing?
SweetD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
cglasgow

I'd go with the MacBook Pro 13" 2.5GHz (without retina display). Starts at $1200. Upgrade it to 8GiB memory and add a 750GB harddrive and you're at $1400 but you've got a good machine that you won't quickly outgrow and will last you for years.

For another $100 you could step up to the base 2.9GHz machine with the same specs otherwise. You'd probably not notice the faster processor in most cases, however.

EDIT: In fact, apply the extra $100 you save by not getting the 2.9GHz machine and put it into an Apple TV. Then you can easily stream stuff from your MacBook to your TV.

Last edited by cglasgow; 09-16-2012 at 03:09 PM.
cglasgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
930dreamer
Super Moderator

Are Apple laptops that nice? We average a new computer every 3-4 years. My current 2008 HP 18" laptop has no sound and the cd/dvd drive is in-op. Restoring didn't help either.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Larry_AZ

Definitely buy a refurbished machine from Apple, and save a few bucks.
We bought a refurb 27" iMac a couple of months ago. Love it. Awesome machine. Takes up very little desk space, nice big screen, does everything my wife needs (I have my gaming/geek PC in the spare room), but not very portable.

If you want portable, the Air and the MBPro are both awesome machines, but you do pay a bit more, and smaller screens.
Tablets are a good option, but they are not a laptop/desktop replacement...yet. Great for traveling and on the go, but the onscreen keyboard and using them in the sunlight can be a pain.

Refurb iMacs:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ls/mac/imac/27

Air 13"
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...macbook_air/13

MBPro 15"
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...macbook_pro/15

Have a good day,
Larry
Larry_AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
Stuart in MN

My Macbook Pro is the little one with the 13" screen; it would nice to have a larger screen, but if I'm at my desk I plug it into a standalone monitor which works fine (for that matter I've plugged it into my 42" TV and that worked fine as well - no problems configuring, it was plug and play.)
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
joeswamp

I bought a MacBook air about a year ago and don't think I could ever own a conventional laptop ever again. The thing is so light and takes up so little space that it's no trouble to take everywhere. One of the best designed products I've ever seen.
joeswamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
acer66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetD View Post
What about a tablet? Aside from Apple iPad, there are some really nice Windows-based tablets out there now for a few hundred bucks - you doing word processing?
A tablet seems to fit the OP's needs pretty good, I just got an IPad and the only time I go to the laptop is when I need flash
but I only have it for a couple of weeks.
acer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
kiatech

Wait, your going from a thinkpad to a mac?
kiatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
donmillerx

+1 MacBook Air.

https://www.facebook.com/CJForgeBlacksmith
donmillerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
Shadowdog500

I picked up an iPad about a month and a half ago. I use it for just about everything, and love that it is so easy to take with me everywhere. If you go this route get the 3G model.

Chris
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #14
Mikefromcny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiatech View Post
Wait, your going from a thinkpad to a mac?
Yes, mine was an '05 T60 bought used from a friend in '08 or so. It worked alright for a few years, but usually would require a system restore every 3 -4 months. Never kept much important on it, kept everything on a flash drive.
The battery would only last for about 1.5 hours and the screen developed "dying pixels". I didn't think it was worth fixing

I think I've settled on the mac mini. I will buy a decent monitor for it. Those iMacs sure look sweet, but if I ever had an issue with the screen it wouldn't easily be fixed, I can just plug a new monitor into the mini. The macbook pro and air are also tempting but for the $$ I could buy an iPad and mini. My plan is to have the mini in the house with a larger monitor at my desk with a MOUSE, thats why I don't have just an iPad lol. The iPad will be great once the 3rd gen gets marked down for garage use.

Thanks again for all the info guys
1994 Chevy Camaro Z28 LT1 A4
Mikefromcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
Sureshot

I have the air and love it. I have a dropbox account to hold larger documents etc. I have found the memory to be more than ample but I do not keep alot of video or pictures and have never filled a hard drive on a machine ever.
Sureshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #16
donmillerx

For what it's worth…
I've previously owned (2) different Mac mini's and (2) iPads.

I just sold both Mac Mini's along with all of the other extra stuff that I "needed" for an office… The monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, subwoofer, web cam, printer etc. even the desk & chair, haha.

And I rarely even touch the iPad now that I have a Macbook.

There is definitely something to be said for living more minimalist & being totally mobile.

That said, both mac desktops, displays and all the different gadgets have definitely served me well in the past and to each their own.

https://www.facebook.com/CJForgeBlacksmith
donmillerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #17
canuckian

I'm typing on a 1st year mac mini at the moment which, by my math is about 6 or so years old. it's never given me one problem and still runs like a top. It does slow down lately after a few hours of use depending on what I'm doing and requires a reboot but that's not bad compared to some of the PC's I've owned and support on a daily basis. The only reason I'm replacing it either with a new mac mini or an Imac is that It's now outdated and won't accept anymore updates or plugins. I'll still keep it and will store manuals and whatnot on it.
People can say what they want about mac but I support Windows based PC's 8+ hours a day and that's enough for me. At home, I want something that's trouble free and simple to use. Also have an Ipad 2. wonderful little gadget.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=244275
canuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
wmartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930dreamer View Post
Are Apple laptops that nice? We average a new computer every 3-4 years. My current 2008 HP 18" laptop has no sound and the cd/dvd drive is in-op. Restoring didn't help either.
One good use for an old laptop is to put Linux on a USB thumb drive and boot from that.

You end up with pretty good security since it's not Windows + every time you power cycle the computer it has a fresh state.

Really, what most people could stand to own is a $75 old netbook with a Linux setup.
wmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
bullfrog123

2- 24" Imacs (3 yrs old)
2- Refurbed macbooks (kids') (probly 6yrs old)
1- 13" Macbook pro (3yrs old)
1- original Ipad (2 yrs old)

All this equipment is for my biz and home/rec use. Replaced ALL windows based crap and never looked back!!!! Everything flat works when I want it to and no buying a bunch of unneeded software to run in the background to slow me down. Also in this time I have never had a need to reboot or update 8 times a day like Windows does. The investment at first is a bit shocking but it does pay for itself in the long run.

Other thing I like is all these devises talk to each other without adding this or adding that to make them work together. We also have 4 Iphones and these just add to the versatility and ease of things working together.
bullfrog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #20
SuperSocket

This thread is reeking of incorrect information. If you guys want to get an Apple product because you like it then fine... but there is no reason to spread BS around to justify why you spent so much money on a product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefromcny View Post
The most attractive thing about the macs is they just work. I'm tired of reformatting my hard drive ever 4 months because something happened and losing everything. I'm not too savvy to handle viruses and what not on a PC either.
Every 4 months? With that I would be inclined to think it's more of the user than it is the computer.

Macs also are prone to Viruses, they are not immune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post
I bought a MacBook air about a year ago and don't think I could ever own a conventional laptop ever again
There are other companies that make smaller, lighter, and slimmer laptops that aren't Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckian View Post
People can say what they want about mac but I support Windows based PC's 8+ hours a day and that's enough for me. At home, I want something that's trouble free and simple to use. Also have an Ipad 2. wonderful little gadget.
If you supported them so much you wouldn't have the slightest issue with running a Windows system at home as you claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrog123 View Post
Everything flat works when I want it to and no buying a bunch of unneeded software to run in the background to slow me down. Also in this time I have never had a need to reboot or update 8 times a day like Windows does.
Unneeded software? Like what?

Reboot and update 8 times a day? I would think that this is also another user issue, not so much as an OS or system issue.
SuperSocket is offline   Reply With Quote