Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #21
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Default Re: White Oak Trees (Should I sawmill them?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazfink View Post
Maybe a local tractor/steam club would know of a saw mill or even have one on their show grounds and could saw the lumber for a "donation" to the club.
Those are about a thing of the past around here. Since one exploded a few years back at a fair with fatalities, I believe the operators now need a state boilers license to run them.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #22
Jackfre

On e you get set up with a sawyer, have him cut to maximize qtr sawn. I did this with some large wh oaks years ago any made a lot of furniture with it. Currently finishing an oak/mahogany trestle table for my daughter. A few years ago I took all the end pieces and cut them into wedges. Gave bags of them as Xmas gifts. Some folks were kinda befuddled at that but a lot came back asking for more.
Jackfre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #23
theoldwizard1

Quarter sawn is definitely preferred for furniture makers. You get a lot less lumber out of a log when it it is quarter sawn.

You can dry it yourself by storing it off the ground with wood strips between each layer. If it is stored outside, put a tarp on it. It you live in an area with termites or carpenter ants, spray the ground around your stack a couple of times a year. Use an oil based paint on the end to minimize cracking.

You should also rotate the stack every 6-12(?) months.
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #24
madosta

Well here's one of them on the front of a JD 510... lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tree.jpg (150.4 KB, 86 views)
madosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #25
KEH

Making progress! That JD loader is the real thing, that is a heavy tree. there are tables for figuring the weight,but I'm not familiar with them. Looks like you could get an 8 or 10 foot cut off the bottom and make good, straight grained boards. On the rest of the tree with the forks in it, if you have a good sawyer and are lucky at getting it sawed the right way, you will get some furniture grade crotch grain short boards. Then if you are lucky again the boards will dry without cracking.

KEH
KEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #26
BigMike782

I had a 20" walnut log that I raised off the ground and painted the ends.I took it to a steam museum to have sawn.The sawyer hit a nail and offered to throw it on their burn pile......nah just set it in my truck and I'll pay the tooth charge and go be my way.Found a guy with a WoodMiser,100.00 an hour and 23.00 per blade that gets damaged.125.00 later I have a nice stack of beautiful walnut that has air dried in the barn.Just found a company that will plane it for doughnuts.....winner,winner chicken dinner
The WoodMiser guy said it would have sawn better green but I am VERY happy with how it came out.I stacked and stickered it and never moved it from that point forward.If it is stacked well and stickered there should be no need to need to turn it.
BigMike782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #27
madosta

I found a local WoodMizer thanks to a suggestion via this awesome forum of awesome dudes! I'll let you know what I end up doing!
madosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #28
Bib Overalls

Rough sawed white oak planks are the preferred material around here for heavy duty trailers that carry bulldozers and equipment. They are treated from time to time with used motor oil. Prevents rot.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratpoison/

When I am dead and gone a new owner will walk into my 99% completed dream shop and say "this place has potential."
Bib Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote