Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
LA1Z24

Default Make the jump. Maxidas DS708 --> Solus Ultra?

So this morning I got the idea of maybe selling the DS708 on ebay and going for either a new Solus Ultra off the truck and make payments, or wait for a deal on one through ebay. I was in love with the DS708 last year when I got it. I did my research, and it was great. But recently it's been letting me down more and more. Plus my year of updates are about to run out.

I see a lot of guys on ebay saying things similar to, "I just got it, and am selling it because we have 2 other scanners in the shop and this never gets used". Sounds fishy to me unless there's something inherently wrong with the units that people don't like?

Are there any Solus Ultra users here? What do you think of them? What about any Maxidas users?
LA1Z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Jester69

Default Re: Make the jump. Maxidas DS708 --> Solus Ultra?

We have a Modis and a Solus at work.... I don't like using the Modis at all. It does a ton more stuff, but it's bulky and it's user interface is too convoluted. I like the Solus a lot, but can I ask what you intend to use it for? Is this for home use or work?

Can I recommend a Mac Taskconnect? I picked one up on Ebay for 200, it does basically everything my Solus does (doesn't work on older, non OBD2 vehicles) and it updates online for FREE. It's small enough so I keep it right on my tool cart, and there are no keys to mess with.... just plug and play.

http://www.techshopmag.com/issue/art...ontentid=85198

Since I bought it last year, I only had to go to the Solus on two different occasions. I use this thing a ton.
Jester69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Mike.ASC

Send a message via Skype™ to Mike.ASC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
So this morning I got the idea of maybe selling the DS708 on ebay and going for either a new Solus Ultra off the truck and make payments, or wait for a deal on one through ebay. I was in love with the DS708 last year when I got it. I did my research, and it was great. But recently it's been letting me down more and more. Plus my year of updates are about to run out.

I see a lot of guys on ebay saying things similar to, "I just got it, and am selling it because we have 2 other scanners in the shop and this never gets used". Sounds fishy to me unless there's something inherently wrong with the units that people don't like?

Are there any Solus Ultra users here? What do you think of them? What about any Maxidas users?
How much would you be asking for it , I have been considering buying one .
Mike.ASC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
FiendFX

if i had money, i would opt for solus ultra
FiendFX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

How has the Maxidas let you down?

I have the Solus Pro at work, can't speak for the ultra but, the Solus Pro is ok. There simply isn't an aftermarket scan tool that equals factory level tooling regardless of whose name is on it.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
LA1Z24

This will be used in a large shop. I'm sorry but I don't have very high hopes for that Mac Taskconnect. Thank you though. We have a Modis in the shop, which is fully updated, but it's soooo slow, and too bulky. The other tech, has a Solus Pro, which he likes. But it's his.

The MaxiDas is a great scanner. But some things it lets me down. This week, 3 BMW's all gave me an UNKNOWN ECM error. They also fixed that error this week with an update...But seriously this was not some special BMW. Just regular 3 series. Couldn't connect for crap. I see on eBay a used MaxiDas is selling for about 1100-1300, so somewhere in there. It also has updates till 12-2013.
LA1Z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Reality Sucks

We have a verus and a Solus at my shop and to be honest i love the solus its great, very fast start up and works well for smaller tasks, It doesn't do scope work but its a great little tool. Only problem ive had is hooking to suzuki's for some reason even with the updates some it will work some it wont. The versus is nice, but it is big and bulky and very slow and it freezes up alott..Ide go for the solus if i was looking for one.
Reality Sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
Richym76

What's wrong with the 708 I've just ordered one to replace my x431 diagun that was stolen.
Richym76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
The MaxiDas is a great scanner. But some things it lets me down. This week, 3 BMW's all gave me an UNKNOWN ECM error. They also fixed that error this week with an update...But seriously this was not some special BMW. Just regular 3 series. Couldn't connect for crap. I see on eBay a used MaxiDas is selling for about 1100-1300, so somewhere in there. It also has updates till 12-2013.
Hell the Maxidas goes new on Amazon for $1280. Why buy used at that price. Every aftermarket scan tool will hit a factory proprietary information wall sooner or later. I don't know how well the Solus does European though.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
Mike.ASC

Send a message via Skype™ to Mike.ASC

I've seen it as cheap as $865.00 new .
Mike.ASC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
cammok5

has the maxi das let you down in any other ways over the time you have had it. ive been looking into getting one. looks real good for the price. would you recomend it?
cammok5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
dankicksass

I have a Solus and can't stand it. Slow, slow, slow. If I was going to buy a new tool right now, I'd look hard at the Pegisys laptop system. Honda uses it OEM, and over there it seems real nice.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
blown94conv

Do you have a Solus or a Solus Ultra? 2 totally different platforms.
blown94conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
vssjim
Alliance Member

I have no complaint with my MaxiDas and would pay for the update and move forward and don't forget every scan tool will let you down at some point. Did you call customer service or use the feeback sevice when you had a problem. I have found the people on the customer service from Autel ok, but from Snap on not very helpful and kind of ugly when they had a problem they didn't like to admit to it or fix it.
vssjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:23 AM   #15
Richym76

Quote:
Originally Posted by vssjim View Post
I have no complaint with my MaxiDas and would pay for the update and move forward and don't forget every scan tool will let you down at some point. Did you call customer service or use the feeback sevice when you had a problem. I have found the people on the customer service from Autel ok, but from Snap on not very helpful and kind of ugly when they had a problem they didn't like to admit to it or fix it.

I would agree. Had lots of scan tools inc dealer level and they all let you down,,, at times. Got the Snapon verdict at the min on demo and it has less coverage than my diagun had
Richym76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:40 AM   #16
Seanbev24

I personally own an updated Modis, but I usually grab the shop's Solus Ultra unless I need a scope or the Solus is being used. It's fast, not as bulky as the Modis, and doesn't need keys. We have factory level scan tools for most European stuff, so the Solus is my go-to for everything domestic and Asian.
Seanbev24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:37 AM   #17
shurik06_83

maxidas might be slow if ur running the older operating system i did a big update a few weeks ago and it faster then ever

as for slow if you do a full scan of any car it will take time as the bus system on the cars computer is not very fast

and bmw is a pita unless you go out and buy a bmw computer but my 708 will come threw every time after trying different models , because bmw sold cars in north america saying its a 95 but really the computer its running is the same as the 1990 in germany , we got their old junk so to say

and as for updates running out its not a big problem as long as some one has the new files and can post them u can download them and load them up to the sd card using the usb sd reader u got with your maxidas

If anyone needs updates i can download them and post them and help you figure out how to load them on your sd card
shurik06_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #18
xurusaibobx

for european cars i found the Autoland sciencetech Iscan2 is very good and really fast!

the maxidas i didnt care for the slow boot up but all scanners running a windows based are super slow.

launch new scanner is suppose to be really good too
xurusaibobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #19
FiendFX

Solus pro is slow, not the Ultra
FiendFX is online now   Reply With Quote