Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > Garage Sale > Product and Vendor Reviews

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
proudnonna

Default The best floor jack for the money

I am looking to buy my husband a decent floor jack for Christmas. He is a mechanic and works on a lot of cars, so i really need advice on the best floor jack for the money. Please keep in mind I don't have a lot of money. Thank you for your time.
proudnonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
SMKS

Default Re: The best floor jack for the money

What is your budget?
SMKS is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
GeorgiaHybrid

Also need to know if you would like an American made or Asian made jack.
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
proudnonna

I really don't want to go over $100. I would really not to go over $ 50 if thats even possible? Which ever is better? But probably American would be the better choice for us. Thank you for your time.
proudnonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
SMKS

You won't get an American jack in that price range.

At those prices, your best bet will be Harbor Freight. Their jacks are all Chinese, but so are most of the other brands, unless you specifically look for USA made examples.

My next jack will probably be a HF jack, when my current Chinese Craftsman jack dies. Likely the HF units are made by one of the same companies that makes many other brands. They appear very similar to some other models sold under other brands.
SMKS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
bczygan

If he works on a lot of cars, and
some of these are trucks, you need a higher capacity jack, like a 3 ton. If this work is at a shop or a home shop, then weight might not be an issue and a steel jack will do the job. An aluminum jack is out of your price range anyway.
One choice is to keep an eye out for a used jack on CL. Might find a US made one there. But you would have to know what to look for and how to check it. You are probably better off buying a new Asian jack. Harbor Freight has a nice 3 ton steel rapid pump jack that weighs 74 pounds and coupons are available for it in all the motor sports magazines for $69.99.

Correction...I'm told the 2.5 ton is a better jack:

Last edited by bczygan; 10-22-2012 at 11:55 AM.
bczygan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
48Classic

Another location to check is Northern tools I like them better that harbor freight with similar prices. The other question is low profile or standard jack. low profiles are great for smaller cars however some do not go high enough of some suvs or trucks. When looking at the jacks online look at the minimum height and the max. Good luck, your husband will always thank you for the gift...
48Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
GeorgiaHybrid

One more comment. If this is for home use, make sure he has some good jack stands. Never count on the jack holding the car in the air unless you plan on collecting on his life insurance.
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
48Classic

you got that right especially with the cheaper jacks...
48Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #10
davesnothere

The arcan jack from costco is a little more than you want to spend, but is a great jack for the money.
davesnothere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
bczygan

For the jack stands, HF has a $30 coupon out for the 6Ton ones right now/
bczygan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
kunkernator

I recently purchased this jack
http://www.amazon.com/Powerzone-3800...1034072&sr=1-1

I have to say it is EXCELLENT quality, have not had a problem with it, and it works great. For $150 (a little out of your price range) you can't beat it. And if you have Amazon Prime like me, I had it the next day for $4 shipping.
kunkernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
JerryC

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesnothere View Post
The arcan jack from costco is a little more than you want to spend, but is a great jack for the money.
I second this. It used to be $99 now it's a little over $100.
JerryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #14
PDM

Not to put a damper on you spirit (great when wives will spend money on tools and cars for their guy !!) but don't be too set on purchasing budget jacks unless you have purchased a really good insurance policy on hubby.

Jacks are for lifting heavy items (read cars squash human beings when they fail) so if you love your other half and need him to continue to be in your life - then I'd suggest upping your budget a bit so that you can invest in a larger stronger jack that can support 2500 - 3000 lbs. I've borrowed an "inexpensive" jack before in a pinch from friends at the track and have seen it instantaneously fail on me before dropping my racecar back down to earth with my 5 year old son not more than 10 feet away as this happened. Scared the living crap out of me (racecars can be replaced) lives cannot.
PDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #15
JerryC

Exclamation Re: The best floor jack for the money

To further drive home the point made above...
I had the same jack for 20 years that worked flawlessly. I jacked up the car, set the jackstands finished the job and the jack would not lift the car off the stands. You never know when it will fail.
I bought a $50 jack to get the car off the stands and that jack failed on the third use. The Arcane I got from Costco is a much better built jack.
JerryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #16
toolmantechie

After reading all of the positive posts about the Arcan jack I bought one from Costco today for $99. The lift capacity, and low to high lifting range were major factors in my decision. I already have 4 floor jacks, but I needed something better to lift the back of the Kwik Lift ramps.
toolmantechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
Ride_there

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmantechie View Post
After reading all of the positive posts about the Arcan jack I bought one from Costco today for $99. The lift capacity, and low to high lifting range were major factors in my decision. I already have 4 floor jacks, but I needed something better to lift the back of the Kwik Lift ramps.
I also bought a Arcan jack this week. I came home with a XL35, 3.5 ton low clearance high lifting jack. Should fit any vehicle I own.

When I lifted the 109 lb jack into/out of my trunk I thought I may have bought more jack than I needed. After using the jack that night to swap on my winter wheels/tires. I am very impressed. Had the length to reach the lifting points on my mustang.

It is on sale at Northern Tool
Ride_there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #18
kerryt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_there View Post
I also bought a Arcan jack this week. I came home with a XL35, 3.5 ton low clearance high lifting jack. Should fit any vehicle I own.

When I lifted the 109 lb jack into/out of my trunk I thought I may have bought more jack than I needed. After using the jack that night to swap on my winter wheels/tires. I am very impressed. Had the length to reach the lifting points on my mustang.

It is on sale at Northern Tool
I have the same one. Love it, do not love carrying it.
kerryt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #19
DSLTRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesnothere View Post
+1 Arcan is a very sturdy jack(3.5 ton?), low profile, and is well made. They are at Costco regularly for $99.
DSLTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #20
Bruce4310TX

I really dont see much difference between the new style HF chinese jacks and the Arcan chinese jacks quality seems to be the same and HF price and coupons are a better deal. Any seal can fail at anytime its better to use a jack thats over rated for the job. And its funny when people like Northern tools better cause there HF tools are painted red not HF orange same stuff.
Bruce4310TX is offline   Reply With Quote