Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
johnny1290

Default Is there any more affordable thread locker that compares to locktite?

After throwing my driveshaft since I didn't use locktite on that bolts that go into the yoke(live and learn) I thought about it and the reason I don't use it on all sorts of stuff is just how dang expensive it is!

Is there anything cheaper that works similarly? I've seen some at HF but don't know how good it is, anybody know from experience?

Or maybe there's a cheaper place to get the real stuff than the local autozone? I haven't looked at ebay, maybe that's the trick to stock up before you need it!

Anyway thanks in advance!
johnny1290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Stuey

Default Re: Is there any more affordable thread locker that compares to locktite?

Any worthy alternative will likely have a similarly high cost.

How much do you need? I found that larger quantities via industrial supply isn't much cheaper than what you can pick up at Lowes or HD.

Amazon 50-70%-off Tool Deal-Finder
Stuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
wrenchr

Send a message via AIM to wrenchr
Default Re: Is there any more affordable thread locker that compares to locktite?

Do you have enough threads to install a locking washer?
wrenchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
wrenchr

You could wire tie them to!!
Old 08-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
wrenchr

Drill a small enough hole thru the bolt head and get some metal wire and thread a piece thru each bolt connecting them with wire.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

I've been using the sticks - picked up one of the blue and one of the red a few years ago. I find them easier to use than the little vials - just wipe the bolt across the stick and you're set.

They're about $15 ~ $20 each depending on where you buy them. As I said, I've had them for a few years and still using them. I also see that they now have anti-seize sticks and some other formulations.

As you found out with your driveshaft, I'd say the price is cheap insurance.
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
Moose-LandTran

Send a message via AIM to Moose-LandTran Send a message via MSN to Moose-LandTran

Permatex is cheaper, and very good stuff too.

As for the price, a bottle of Loctite may run you $30-40 (i don't know what it costs your side of the pond) but it'll last you, and you'll get your money's worth out of it. When you consider the amount used on each bolt, and how long a bottle lasts. Unless you use it everyday, it'll last you years.
Moose-LandTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
DHCrocks

so the sticks are just as good as the liquid? doesn't it dryout.
DHCrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
Moose-LandTran

Send a message via AIM to Moose-LandTran Send a message via MSN to Moose-LandTran

You never got new brake caliper bolts with the dry threadlock on them already?
Moose-LandTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
JayL

Send a message via Skype™ to JayL

Please advise which vehicle bolts need Locktite.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #11
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

DHC: I cap my sticks when not in use, but they're still as gummy as the day I bought them after several years.

Jay: Typically the shop manual will tell you which ones get threadlocker.
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #12
DHCrocks

thanks PAT, I'll have to try those when I runout. the liquid one get's a little messy sometimes.

So is the stick the preferred type, I use the liquid but niticed they had a gel and stick too. one more thing, does the stick come in red and blue?
DHCrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #13
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAToyota View Post
DHC: I cap my sticks when not in use, but they're still as gummy as the day I bought them after several years.

Jay: Typically the shop manual will tell you which ones get threadlocker.
What he said.

I have been using the blue Loc-Tite gel and it works great. Less waste. I don't remember it being that expensive. However, I would really caution anyone to 'cheap-out" on something as critical as thread lock. The consequences could be tragic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:17 PM   #14
wrenchr

Nascar crews saftey wire's bolts!!! That is what I was suggesting.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:48 PM   #15
Charles (in GA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
Please advise which vehicle bolts need Locktite.
I'll bet the drive shaft that came loose was a Ford. The Fords with the aft u-joint with the flat flange and four twelve pointed capscrews holding it to the differential flange, must have locktite on the threads. My father had the transmission in his '84 LTD (Fairmont sized car) rebuilt about '90 or so and they didn't use locktite on the threads of those rear driveshaft flange bolts. Soon after we started hearing a clunk when you shifted to reverse from park, or from drive to reverse, and I found the bolts loose. I bought new ones (the original ones were damaged by that point) and the new ones had been pre-locktited.

More recently I replaced the clutch in my '91 Ranger and was smart enough to use locktite on those bolts when I reinstalled the driveshaft, no problems.

The sticks are a very good idea, since the bottles go bad after a while, and I had resorted to buying the tiny tubes of the liquid.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #16
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

After all of the recent problems with everything from imported toothpaste, pet food, to tires, would you really want to cheap out on something that is critical enough to want to use a thread locking compound on?
I would watch the sales, look at the sticks or gels to reduce waste, and compare reputable brands.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:01 AM   #17
ImportTuner

I have both the Permatex red and blue plus the Loctite red and blue. Never noticed any difference between the brands ...
ImportTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:39 AM   #18
wantedabiggergarage

I tend to buy my antiseize, and loctite compounds, from a damaged freight store, for less.

For LOW torque stuff, my father has used nail polish that my mom didn't like. He would probably use it on the car to, if he did his own work (only oil changes, and putting on the snow tires).
wantedabiggergarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:14 AM   #19
tatra

heard about the nail polish thing and have used it in a pinch too with no probs..............also notice a lot of waste when others use loctite..............just remember, a lil' dab will do ya..............
tatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:09 AM   #20
Detroit Diesel Man

Example: Nut backing out of a yoke on a Trans and losing the yoke,the driveline and possible the rear input bearing. Cost of repair approx $600.00
Cost of a bottle of Loctite that would prevented said loss. $30.00

Lesson Learned "Priceless"

DDM