Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #61
Wheelchairjer

Default Re: The Ultimate Creeper - "The Human Hoist"

As a person that suffered a spinal cord injury recently in my life I have wondered how I can get under the car again. I see this as a practical answer to that problem. Il will also sit me back up so that I can transfer back into my chair unlike a regular creeper which requires me to get on the ground. I hope to see this on the market sooner rather than later.
Wheelchairjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #62
Casey.chandler

What I would do to have one, I have been in a mechanic family all my life. U can tell you, as I get older, the cheaper looks more and more out of interest. I just seen this thing on the history Chanel. I'd pay $1000 for one... No doubt!!

Casey
Casey.chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #63
Heaty

thats a radical chair for 1000.00 it sounds a lot but if you think about it, a heavy duty snap on creeper is 429.99 after tax almost 500. This chair has a lot of functions, and mechanical parts to work so 1000.00 isnt much at all to me. P.S. itll make a good F*** chair
Old 12-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #64
vintagefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
Air is compressible like a spring, not good at all for holding you in the same spot or staying there, plus think of the fun if it were to stick in one position for any reason and then unstick.
I'm not sure if you've had experience working with air cylinders and related control systems, I worked with them quite a bit due to peculiarities of a previous job.

I know what you're saying, but the system I would build would function more similarly to the gas cylinder on an office chair. You could bounce up and down on it a little bit, but it wouldn't go flying up if you got off, or go bouncing down if you plopped down on it.

You can use an orifice system to control the cylinder's ultimate travel speed. This would prevent any rapid, unexpected movements due to system failure. You can also regulate the maximum lifting force, so it only applies just enough force to lift you. That would keep things fairly safe.

Last edited by vintagefan; 12-18-2012 at 11:40 PM.
vintagefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #65
tsidewayz

One of the coolest man toys ever. I can see spending $1k for it. Hopefully it can drop down to the $750 range with large production runs. Im having shoulder surgey next month. I can see how this can relieve over extension and better ergonomic posture when lifting/installing heavy things like drivelines overhead.
tsidewayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #66
pattenp

There is an update on the status on their website.

http://www.humanhoist.com/
pattenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:21 AM   #67
wantedabiggergarage

In a small shop, this could be a creeper, stool and desk chair. The one thing that I see as needing a change, is you should be able to change a battery while on it. (if it dies and your in a bad spot)
Not sure if they have patents, or they screwed themselves with the new patent laws, if they did, I expect competition in a year or two.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #68
regguy1

They should have a saftey switch that engages when you lower yourself so it can't hoist you up while under the car if you accidently hit the switch or something falls on it. I also wonder if this would be adaptable for other uses such as in a factory doing assembly work that requires repetitive movements or maybe in a ships engine room (other ideas?) I think limiting this to autmotive is a mistake, horizons for it's use could be much wider

Last edited by regguy1; 12-19-2012 at 04:46 PM.
regguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #69
regguy1

Poor Mans Human Hoist:

HF version thread: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=179041
Old 12-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #70
Charles (in GA)

Wait till OSHA gets ahold of the design and requires all kinds of safeties and redundant switches/circuitry to make it SAFE.

On the other hand, if they can find a way to market it to the government.......

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #71
Mowerpan

Like mentioned in an earlier post I don't see it being any sort of success. For my personal garage no way could I justify or pay $1000 for the thing. Every shop has lifts. Who wants to work under a car on their back. We will put vehicles on the lift at work for everything. No one wants to work on the ground. The only exceptions may be fleet garages that do things like a full size school bus, ect. We have lifts rated for 18k that we use for medium duty ambulances and Class C motorhomes. Like stated earlier, the only exception beyond that would be full size school buses or heavy duty trucks.
Mowerpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #72
Charles (in GA)

I work in an airline maintenance shop and I can see a use for this working on the underside of wing mounted engines. Theres not much there, but some. We actually have a couple of frames on casters with forklift seats on them reclined at about 45. This would be the cats meow for getting to cowl latches and bottom side accessories.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #73
rhastings80

Very cool. I saw the video on Reddit as well. I think the $1000 price point may be too high. Although if it said snap-on and sold on the truck then it would probably sell at $4999.99 if financing was offered. Wonder how much of a finger pincher it is though.
rhastings80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #74
handyman2012

Just thought I would let you know about my chance incounter with the Human Hoist.
I was at a local dealership last summer picking up some parts at the same time they were filming the Human Hoist. They let me stay and watch the filming which was interesting in itself. It seemed like the hosts of the show as well as the people working at the dealership were having as much fun with the Human Hoist off camera as on. It seemed to roll around with ease and needed to use both levers to make it go up and down. You can imagine my suprise when they were done filming and one of the inventors asked me if I wanted to try it out. I did. A couple things I noticed was after watching it work almost non stop all afternoon it was still on the original set of batteries. Also I am 6' 4" 225lbs. and it raised me up in under 5 seconds. can't wait to get one.

Last edited by handyman2012; 12-20-2012 at 02:56 PM.
handyman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #75
64Trvlr

As a one legged guy that has trouble getting up and down from a creeper this looks promising. I wonder how it goes over air hoses, electric cords and little rocks and pieces of shit on the floor.

"Hire the handicapped, we're fun to watch!"

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...90#post2901990
64Trvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:01 AM   #76
CDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRGarage View Post
I'd like to see how fast actually rises and lowers- the video was sped up. It looks to be not that fast, when I'm jamming at the shop, waiting even a few seconds for the creeper to lift up would make me pissed. El Passo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgMT7IozS-A
CDD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #77
santagary

I wrecked my knees or at least finished them off by getting up and down off a cold floor when I restored my Austin Healey 3000 a few years ago and didn't help my back at all. I'd love to own one of those for sure..
santagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #78
kartracer23

Quote:
Originally Posted by regguy1 View Post
They should have a saftey switch that engages when you lower yourself so it can't hoist you up while under the car if you accidently hit the switch or something falls on it. I also wonder if this would be adaptable for other uses such as in a factory doing assembly work that requires repetitive movements or maybe in a ships engine room (other ideas?) I think limiting this to autmotive is a mistake, horizons for it's use could be much wider
My manual elevator has a safety system that could work for this: On the bottom floor, once you get within a foot of it and stop, it won't go down any further. You have to go up first, then back down. I assume it's so you don't end up in the basement.

So in the case of the hoist, it would just have to have circuitry installed that once you stop after an 'up' motion, it has to go down before going up again. It would mean that you would have to be good about getting your 'up' height right the first time, but it would prevent an accidental upward move.
kartracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #79
CDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman2012 View Post
It seemed to roll around with ease and needed to use both levers to make it go up and down.
I noticed that from the other video.

Since you try it out if that really how the levers works?
CDD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #80
handyman2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDD View Post
I noticed that from the other video.

Since you try it out if that really how the levers works?
Yes you needed to move both levers at the same time or it would not move.
handyman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote