Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
246gts

Default Snap On Tach Dwell Meter

I just bought a Snap On Tach Dwell Meter MT 816 on eBay.
Unfortunately it didnt come with any instruction but for 1 what can you expect!
Do any of you guys know where I can get a set of these instructions?
Dave
246gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
billymade

Default Re: Snap On Tach Dwell Meter

I would contact Snapon customer service: http://buy1.snapon.com/snapon-store/customer.asp
Further down the page the have a # for "snapon equipment service"; looks like they might be the ones to call....

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-19-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
Elroy
Banned

No instruction actually needed. Red on the point side of the coil and black to ground. Hooks up just like EVERY dwell tach ever made. Double the 8 cylinder reading when using on a four cylinder.
Elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
billymade

246gts, you working on anything that has a carb and points?

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:13 AM   #5
246gts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymade View Post
246gts, you working on anything that has a carb and points?
Fraid so. I have a few old BMC variants from 50's and 60's which all use the points set up so maybe at some time I can use the meter to set the points accurately.

How does this work on cars with twin points??

Dave
Old 10-20-2008, 04:50 AM   #6
Elroy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 246gts View Post
How does this work on cars with twin points??

Dave
Well you better get back on E-bay and find some more meters because in that case you need a meter for each coil. Maybe that's a meter for each cylinder

Scratch that, You're going to need a meter for each cylinder multiplied by the number of lugs nuts.

Actually it depends on the design of the point cam. Dwell / Tach still hooks up the same.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:00 AM   #7
Elroy
Banned

Isolate the points

Set the dwell first then the timing

Points wide plugs narrow.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:12 AM   #8
goodfellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
Isolate the points

Set the dwell first then the timing

Points wide plugs narrow.
Isolate with a piece of thick paper, or thin plastic. Some cars have primary and secondary point sets which require different dwell settings --
goodfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
246gts

Problem solved!

Just a quick e mail to Customer Services site on the Snap On web page and next day I receiived a pdf of the original instructions.

Now thats what I call service!!

Incidentally in the Manual there are tune up specifications for some 70's American cars if anyone is interested

Dave
Old 10-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
billymade

How about some pics of your meter/manual? We are pic freaks here... love to "see" what you got!

Old 10-24-2008, 07:44 AM   #11
246gts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymade View Post
How about some pics of your meter/manual? We are pic freaks here... love to "see" what you got!
Not much to show I'm afraid, just a small red box with a dial and a paper manual.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #12
Harris62

I just acquired an old MT 418 Tach Dwell Meter. This one has 3 leads, a black, a red and a yellow. I attach the red to the positive + side of coil, black to ground and yellow to low side of coil and the dwell works great. Good steady needle. I cannot get rpm's when I switch the knob to rpm's.

How do I hook up for RPM's? I don't want to do something wrong and damage the unit.

Thanks,
Lou
Harris62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
billymade

246gts, contacted Snapon and they emailed him the users manual; contact Snapon at the above links and they should do this for you as well, good luck!

Old 12-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #14
Harris62

Thanks. I did e-mail Snap On using your link and Nichole replied that they didn't have information on the MT 418, so I replied back asking her to look again and/or ask a really old employee.

lou
Old 12-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #15
MAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris62 View Post
I just acquired an old MT 418 Tach Dwell Meter. This one has 3 leads, a black, a red and a yellow. I attach the red to the positive + side of coil, black to ground and yellow to low side of coil and the dwell works great. Good steady needle. I cannot get rpm's when I switch the knob to rpm's.

How do I hook up for RPM's? I don't want to do something wrong and damage the unit.

Thanks,
Lou
I would guess that the proper configuration would be black to ground and one of the other wires to the coil (-) for tach/dwell. You should only need two wires conected at a time to read dwell or tach (based on the meters I have used).

My guess would be that the yellow wire is used for tach/dwell function and perhaps the red lead is used for testing voltage.

If there is no voltage scale on the meter I would expect the red lead should be connected to the battery (+)

I don't have have a meter like yours so this is just a guess.

Last edited by MAD; 12-02-2008 at 11:24 AM.
MAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #16
Harris62

Thanks,

If I connect red to battery + and black to ground, can I safely use the yellow to the + side of the coil for RPM's? The tach I have on the car runs off the + side of the coil.

Lou
Old 12-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #17
Harris62

Nichole Morgan at Snap On customer service e-mailed me the manual late this afternoon. Definately nice people.

Thanks Guys
Old 12-03-2008, 12:19 AM   #18
billymade

Cool, glad you got the manual! Your all set now!

Old 12-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #19
Harris62

By the way, the manual on this particular meter instructs you to attach the red lead to + on the battery and the black to ground (not the negative - battery post) and 18" away from the battery.

Haven't tried it yet on the car, but my red and black lead connections pereviously on the coil were close together and I didn't get an RPM reading.

Thanks again for the help
Old 05-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #20
horizontallyopposed

Dredging it up from thae archives, but my thanks to the posters above - I bought a used Snap-On MT816 tach/dwell meter as above and never would have thought to contact Snap-On for the instructions for something so old. However I contacted them online and had the PDF of the manual in about an hour.

-Keith
horizontallyopposed is offline   Reply With Quote