Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #3161
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Default Re: The 12-Gauge Garage

Thanks, guys.

mjbach, the house is pretty standard-issue. I didn't do any design or other kinds of work on it at all. It's my wife's domain, pretty much.

I finally put up the candle-holder thing on the big wall. It has 28 real candles on it that I've hollowed out to accommodate flickering LED lights. It's pretty convincing. When I walked out there the first time, it seemed like somebody ought to be giving me a back massage or absolution for my sins. It's both spa-like and church-like.

Here's night and day:

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 05-31-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #3162
santagary

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel View Post
Hay glad I'm not alone to do that. LOL
I use one of those Ridgid shopvac that has a leaf blower attached to it
I use a black and decker battery operated blower for the garage and barn to blow the hay out rather than sweeping...I make sure though in the barn that with both doors open (north and south) that I'm blowing with the wind.
santagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #3163
X1 Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
Thanks, guys.

I finally put up the candle-holder thing on the big wall.

I see what you did there.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #3164
Matthewjb

That's a lovely space you've created.

Any reason why you didn't continue the gothic arch theme in the candle-holder thing?
Matthewjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #3165
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Thanks.

Matthewjb, there is some of the Gothic arch in the candle thing at the top, where the two roof-shaped pieces are curved -- although it looks in the pictures like it's just two straight lines. I don't remember if I thought about doing the lateral pieces in the same Gothic arch shape -- although I know I already kind of thought I'd repeated it enough in the gate. I'm not sure if it's good design or not, but it was easier to simply do the continuous arch on those pieces.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #3166
Kevin54

I'd be kickin' back in there just about every evening. Very nice Jack!!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #3167
keithh2oskier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin54 View Post

I'd be kickin' back in there just about every evening. Very nice Jack!!!!
I would just move my bed out onto the deck and sleep out there! AWESOME JOB!
keithh2oskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #3168
Matthewjb

Quote:
Matthewjb, there is some of the Gothic arch in the candle thing at the top, where the two roof-shaped pieces are curved
It was the top bit that looked straight to me. I guess it's the camera angle.

The continuous curves of the candle holders looks good and you get a lot of light in the area.

Googling 'Gothic candle' bought up this design in case you're bored and want to make something for the other wall

Matthewjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #3169
aggierailroad

Jack, I'm curious as to how you ran power to the "candelabra?" I saw your wiring thread on welding web - but am referring to power from the outlet.

http://howtoforengineers.blogspot.com/
aggierailroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #3170
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

aggierailroad, I have a pair of 3v power supplies -- each feeds half the light set. They're plugged into a switched outlet with wire running down along the edge/underside of the deck and up through one of the pillars, then sneaking around the back of the wooden frieze thing and into holes drilled in the backside of the frame.

Matthewjb, I agree that they look straight. It's odd, since they're made from the piece of steel on the left in this image.

My memory was that it's actually a tighter curve than the pergola's main arch pieces -- but I think I must be wrong about that.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #3171
Conor

Jack, the deck came out fantastic! Looks really great. Makes me want to create some kind of shade for ours. Granted it will never be as nice as yours lol.

Also I just ordered a Cameo the other night finally. I cant wait to start cutting my own stickers.

How does the heat transfer hold up to washing? I could see making some shirts with the kids being fun.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #3172
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Thanks!

Conor, I've done a few shirts and have had mixed success. Granted, I've been using already-used shirts, but I think the issue I've had (smaller pieces coming off in the wash) has also had to do with not getting consistent heat across the surface of the decal. I think it's probably possible to have too much, as well as too little, heat. There are commercial heating press things available for lots of money. My thinking has been to maybe try out a $20 electric griddle for the job. But I haven't tried that yet.

I've been trying to avoid doing all the web-page-building to have the pictures of the deck build available for sending to family members and such. So last night, I added the pictures to a Home & Garden 'rate my space' page. I wonder if someone could click on this link and tell me if the the pictures are showing up.

Home & Garden Link

I keep getting a message that the uploads need administrative approval, but it also looks like it's up and available. Could someone just click and confirm? (I don't think it needs any registration or anything.)
Old 06-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #3173
machine_punk

Yep...the site is working! Beautiful work, as usual. I'll bet you and your family will have a lot of relaxing times out on that patio.

Kev

Just finished the new logo for The
Aerodrome Studio--my metalworking studio in a 2-car, attached garage, where I build artistic projects, inspired by aeroplanes

- The Aerodrome Studio
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=122188
- Blog:
http://TheAerodromeStudio.com/wordpress
-Twitter @Machine_Punk
machine_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #3174
akpro

Yes Jack, the link is working. Great job on the deck.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #3175
Outlawmws

Jack the home and garden links work for me..,.

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale - For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)

Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback

"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #3176
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Thanks, guys. I can send it to the folks without worries, now.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #3177
Conor

Quote:
Thanks!

Conor, I've done a few shirts and have had mixed success. Granted, I've been using already-used shirts, but I think the issue I've had (smaller pieces coming off in the wash) has also had to do with not getting consistent heat across the surface of the decal. I think it's probably possible to have too much, as well as too little, heat. There are commercial heating press things available for lots of money. My thinking has been to maybe try out a $20 electric griddle for the job. But I haven't tried that yet.

That was kind of my worry. I'm going to try and cut some vinyl stickers and apply them to the back of a silkscreen and try that out. I found a kit on amazon that includes the 12" screen, squeegee and paint for just under $40.00. If it works it should be perfect (and cheap) for creating professional looking and lasting shirts pretty easily.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #3178
Kevin54

Quote:
Thanks!

I've been trying to avoid doing all the web-page-building to have the pictures of the deck build available for sending to family members and such. So last night, I added the pictures to a Home & Garden 'rate my space' page. I wonder if someone could click on this link and tell me if the the pictures are showing up.

Home & Garden Link

I keep getting a message that the uploads need administrative approval, but it also looks like it's up and available. Could someone just click and confirm? (I don't think it needs any registration or anything.)

Everything worked fine for me.

Jack......if you would, could you go outside of your property at night, after dark, and snap a pic of what the shadecloth looks like lit up? I'm just curious.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #3179
classicharleyj

Jack...
I've shared your garage link with a lot of my friends.. and... I'm always blown away by your ingenuity. Great job as usual.
Jim
classicharleyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #3180
Dan in Pasadena

Looks great Jack.

I suppose putting a giant flat screen tv out there would disturb the "Wa" in it's cathedral-like atmosphere, but I'd have to do that to enjoy watching Dodgers game out there.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote