Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Lighting & Electrical

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
deady

Default Installing a Winch

Hey All! Looking to install a 12 V DC winch in my garage for hanging my deer/moose.

Have the eye lets coming from roof that have used chain hoists for motors, ect on and looking to use those with a which mounted to wall.. So what i am asking is whats the best way to hook up a 12V Dc ATV winch up in the garage useing a socket on the wall? ( I have a wireless remote thats wired to winch so i dont have to be at wall / switch )

Thanks in advance for advice!1
deady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
marty_p

Default Re: Installing a Winch

I secured a HF 120V model recently for a Jeep Wrangled hardtop hoist. Lagged it all with 2 x 12s. Just do like Jack would do: overbuild it and smile every day!
> 2008 Kia Rondo LX (princess #1)
marty_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
mooseracing

Are you talking for power? If you don't have it, I would buy a 120v, if you are using 12v you need an inverter that can handle the surge of that winch. You could just use jumper cables or anderson connectors to a vehicle/batt.
mooseracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
G_P

Get a 120vac winch. If you're dead set on using a 12vdc one just hook it to a car battery when you need to use it. Winches draw a ton of power and a plug in transformer to run it will be large and very expensive.

Sent via carrier pigeon.
G_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
rsanter

Buy a jump pack to power the winch
And now you also have a jump pack if you need one

Bob
Old 08-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
2ManyProjects

Quote:
Originally Posted by deady View Post
Hey All! Looking to install a 12 V DC winch in my garage for hanging my deer/moose.
I agree with the others here who have suggested you simply go with a 120VAC-powered winch. This would be MUCH simpler in the long run, and probably even cheaper. For example, this one:

http://www.warn.com/utility/acwinche..._utility.shtml

is rated for 1,000 lb. and can be had for around $300-350. Even if you already have the 12VDC winch you're contemplating, by the time you buy everything you'd need to make it work in that application, you'll have spent at least half that, and near-certainly more than that to do it really right.

If you are bound and determined to make your 12VDC winch work, you'll need a large-capacity deep-cycle 12V battery AND a good "smart" battery-charger of adequate capacity to keep that battery healthy and happy. To do it without the battery would require so much larger a charger/power-supply as to be prohibitively expensive. If you wimp out on the charger, you will shorten the long-term life-expectancy of the battery. Note that if you go with an AGM-type battery (which you probably should, given the indoor usage and the deep-cycle requirement), the charger should be capable of providing AT LEAST 20% of the battery's nominal Amp-Hour capacity during the Bulk Phase of the charging cycle; more would be better. Here's my suggestion for the battery:

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinu...p-02850131000P

Ideally, the charger should be a three-stage "smart" type, and (given the above battery) capable of putting at least 20A onto a single output. I'm most familiar with marine applications, so that's my frame of reference. In that context, this is what I'd choose:

http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Promarin...p/prm63120.htm

You might be able to find something cheaper in the non-marine market; but be VERY wary of off-brand el-cheapo chargers; they tend to not have the adjustability and controlability needed to keep a high-quality AGM battery healthy over the long haul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseracing View Post
Are you talking for power? If you don't have it, I would buy a 120v, if you are using 12v you need an inverter that can handle the surge of that winch.
You've got the terminology backwards. He doesn't need an inverter; that would be used to make 120VAC out of 12VDC. He needs a robust source of 12VDC, hence the battery & charger setup mentioned above.

Quote:
You could just use jumper cables or anderson connectors to a vehicle/batt.
This would be a rather horrid kludge, and I'd be a bit concerned about the safety aspect with all those "temporary" connections; but it might work. The battery would surely have to remain installed in the vehicle, with the engine running at at least a fast idle, or you'd kill it in no time. Besides, I got the impression that he wanted something a bit more along the lines of a "permanent" installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsanter View Post
Buy a jump pack to power the winch
And now you also have a jump pack if you need one
The problem with a "jump pack" is, while they can provide very large bursts of current for brief periods (which is just what is needed for their intended application), they generally don't really have all that much battery capacity, and virtually no deep-cycle capability.

2ManyProjects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
deady

Perfect. Thanks for the input guys, may just use a 120 v winch like was said... by time get a battery nd charger... i coulda simply bought av120 v one... ha thanks again!!!
deady is offline   Reply With Quote