Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2008, 11:48 AM   #21
bchee

Default Re: is my snap on ratchet made in USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryw View Post
Here is the response (less than 10hrs to respond):

Yes sir this is made in the USA at our Elizabethton TN plant. Don't know why it is not marked USA but all Snap-On ratchets are USA made .

CrystalLakeOrderEntrySC@snapon.com

I don't know if I would be satisfied with that response - specifically "don't know why it is not marked USA"
bchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #22
gatewaysysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchr View Post
Very much so!!!!!!
For what it's worth, I've heard something on this from an eBay seller. I purchased a new, 'USA' marked F80 from a guy and asked him how he got one with the USA stamp on it, since they no longer make them this way.

The guy told me his son worked in one of the SO plants and that he was selling it for him. He said that according to his son, they received new equipment (moulds I think he called it) for making the ratchet bodies and that the new ones did not have a USA stamp on it, deliberately. He also said that according to his son, this was done so that if/when parts of the manufacturing operation are moved to Mexico or wherever else, they can use the same equipment without having to create new versions without the USA stamp, which would be costly, apparently.

The last thing he told me was that his according to his son, there were new moulds coming for the wrenches in the near future and he feared they wouldn't have a USA stamp either. Has anyone seen any new wrenches yet w/o the USA stamp? I really hope that doesn't happen.

Again, this is second hand from an eBay seller, so take it with a grain of salt, but that's what I've heard. Just wanted to pass it along since it seemed relevant in this thread. Personally I think it's one of the more plausible explanations I've seen, but that's just me. YMMV.
gatewaysysop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-31-2008, 12:22 PM   #23
gofastman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48548 View Post
I guess if I wanted to buy something made in japan, I would rather not pay made in USA prices, hahaha. Not that I am complaining about the quality, just the price.
my thoughts exactly, I dont have any problem with foreign tools, but I dont want it to carry a made in USA price
gofastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:11 PM   #24
gerryw

[QUOTE=gatewaysysop;357749]For what it's worth, I've heard something on
The last thing he told me was that his according to his son, there were new moulds coming for the wrenches in the near future and he feared they wouldn't have a USA stamp either. Has anyone seen any new wrenches yet w/o the USA stamp? I really hope that doesn't happen.

Yes its true, i have a set of sae wrenches open end/ratcheting box end with no USA stamp

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....da&dir=catalog

so your fears have come true.

regarding the SO response, i guess it was sent on to a SO rep in canada, and he will get back to me regarding the reasoning(of not having a USA stamp), stay tuned!!

gerry

Last edited by gerryw; 12-31-2008 at 03:21 PM.
gerryw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:11 PM   #25
bchee

Quote:
Yes its true, i have a set of sae wrenches open end/ratcheting box end with no USA stamp

I don't think that's the same. Those ratcheting wrenches are known to be imported, Taiwan probably. Same as the Blue Point ratcheting wrenches.

Snap on claims that the ratchet in question is made here, yet it has no country of origin stamp.

I think the problem would be if the non-ratcheting wrenches had no origin stamp.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:47 PM   #26
bowtie3

Quote:
Here is the response (less than 10hrs to respond):

Yes sir this is made in the USA at our Elizabethton TN plant. Don't know why it is not marked USA but all Snap-On ratchets are USA made .

CrystalLakeOrderEntrySC@snapon.com
Thats absolutely correct the body is forged, finished and chromed in Elizabethton then the parts are all assembled and the finished product is shipped from there, but this source assures me that the gear and pawls are not made in Elizabethton TN.
bowtie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:18 PM   #27
gatewaysysop

[QUOTE=gerryw;357861]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatewaysysop View Post
For what it's worth, I've heard something on

so your fears have come true.

regarding the SO response, i guess it was sent on to a SO rep in canada, and he will get back to me regarding the reasoning(of not having a USA stamp), stay tuned!!

gerry
Well, FWIW, I was actually asking about regular non-ratcheting wrenches, as I believe the eBay seller was speaking about. Has anyone seen any of *those* without the USA stamp?
gatewaysysop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:01 PM   #28
Gregster

[QUOTE=gatewaysysop;357984]
Quote:

Well, FWIW, I was actually asking about regular non-ratcheting wrenches, as I believe the eBay seller was speaking about. Has anyone seen any of *those* without the USA stamp?
Hmm maybe something that has a later 08 production date but my flank drive plus wrenches which are dated 08 have USA stamped on them...
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:10 PM   #29
wrenchr

Send a message via AIM to wrenchr

Well if we could get someone to order a rebuild kit for a F80 I think that would solve the mystery!! The bag would have to be marked with where it is made!!
wrenchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:27 PM   #30
bchee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchr View Post
Well if we could get someone to order a rebuild kit for a F80 I think that would solve the mystery!! The bag would have to be marked with where it is made!!
hey, that's not a bad idea

what typically comes in a repair kit? Is the gear itself included?

We could just ask pedro_snapon if the repair kit bag has any clues...

Last edited by bchee; 12-31-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:46 PM   #31
Merkava_4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchee View Post
What typically comes in a repair kit? Is the gear itself included?
The gear is included along with a pawl, a washer, a reverse lever, a spring, a steel ball, seals, screws, lube, and sometimes even a new cover plate depending on the model.
Merkava_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:57 PM   #32
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

If you bring up an F80 on the snap on website, it lists USA as the country of origin. No country of origin is listed for the repair kit.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Old 01-01-2009, 01:47 AM   #33
bchee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedwrench View Post
If you bring up an F80 on the snap on website, it lists USA as the country of origin. No country of origin is listed for the repair kit.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
I'm not sure how accurate the item descriptions are on the website. For example I searched for the F872 ratchet and the repair kit RKRF872B but neither one lists country of origin. And, of course, all those ebay sellers with older ratchets claiming they are dual 80 based on snapon.com info.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:49 AM   #34
bchee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
The gear is included along with a pawl, a washer, a reverse lever, a spring, a steel ball, seals, screws, lube, and sometimes even a new cover plate depending on the model.
it sounds like they give you everything except the body. I'm really tempted to order a repair kit...$10.83 with tax
Old 01-01-2009, 01:51 AM   #35
Merkava_4
Banned

If the parts turn out to be made in Japan, that won't bother me at all; if they were made in Taiwan or China, then I'd have a problem.

The japanese folks care about quality; look at Mitutoyo.
Merkava_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:16 AM   #36
wrenchr

Send a message via AIM to wrenchr

wrenchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #37
Mr.Nutcase

I just check the snap on site..
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....tore&tool=all\
Country of Origin:USA
Mr.Nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #38
gougou
Banned

Holy crap. I'm from China. I know there might be a small amount of people there do not like Americans (because of something related to arrogance, prejudice, or the war in Iraq ), but they ALL believe "Made in USA" means top-notch quality.

I can tell you, they even think American cars are made with the best quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-Mech View Post
Snap-on is claiming that since they are a global brand that reaches many markets they no longer want to advertise the country of manufacture on the tools (I guess Americans have a negative image to the rest of the world or something like that). I think they are just trying to deceptively ease the transition towards off shore manufacturing with out the average consumer realizing it.
gougou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #39
billymade

Is the F80 on sale? Its coming up about $8 off! Go figure!

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #40
FNFS2000

They need to get you used to not seeing the USA on their tools, so it won't make as large an uproar when its all coming in from Taiwan.