Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #6001
BellyUpFish

Default The Harbor Freight PASS/FAIL Thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangstang View Post
I'm sending you a PM with the email address for a person who's helped me out at HF everytime I've contacted them.

Wes

I appreciate your help. Received another email from HF basically telling me I'm out of luck.

I emailed your contact..

*ETA*

Just after I posted this, I received an email from your contact, they are sending me a bottle jack.

Thank you!

Last edited by BellyUpFish; 02-17-2014 at 03:07 PM.
BellyUpFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #6002
Aquaticbob

Default Re: The Harbor Freight PASS/FAIL Thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyUpFish View Post
I appreciate your help. Received another email from HF basically telling me I'm out of luck.

I emailed your contact..

*ETA*

Just after I posted this, I received an email from your contact, they are sending me a bottle jack.

Thank you!

You should PM me this email address. Got a buddy dealing with a warranty issue. Sounds like sometimes you just need to get the right person!
Old 02-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #6003
Danglerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaconterraone View Post
I just can't stomach gambling with tools. I'm sure there are a few items that are consistently dependable, but way too often I hear or read about Harbor Fake Tools items being utterly pathetic out of the package - even in HFT's website reviews! (I have to give them credit for allowing negative reviews). Some are even dangerous - especially those using electricity.

I also find the phony "legacy" names of "Pittsburgh" and "Chicago Electric" repugnant. Why not just be honest and call them "Dragon Tools" or "Panda Power" or something?

I also understand that HFT won't honor their "lifetime warranty" without an original receipt - I'm not an accountant or archivist! Hence, while I appreciate the effort people are making towards recommending HFT products that pass their personal experience, I must "pass" on risking an alternative experience.
I am sure paying 10x the price for a convenient warranty works for some people, but I am not one of them.

I have NEVER had a poor customer service experience with HF, including issues with no receipt.

If you can't look at a tool in your hands and judge whether or not the quality is sufficient for your use, maybe you shouldn't be using tools?
Danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #6004
Danglerb

[QUOTE=Lhorn;3752124]
Quote:
I also find the phony "legacy" names of "Pittsburgh" and "Chicago Electric" repugnant. Why not just be honest and call them "Dragon Tools" or "Panda Power" or something?/QUOTE]

I find that objectionable as well.
No more so than "Honest John's used cars" or "Affordable healthcare act"?

How about Craftman made in China?
Danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #6005
Danglerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakoprtr View Post
I'm in the market for a digital batt tester Anybody used the centech it's item number 66892 seems to have decent reviews on their website

http://m.harborfreight.com/digital-a...obile_redirect
Looks good, but the Solar BA-7 is cheaper on Amazon with same as far as I can tell functions.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:55 PM   #6006
IONH

Quote:
Still living it.. Just received me 2nd "we can't do anything for you" email.

Bought their new version of the 20T press in November. Cross brace was warped and drilled incorrectly. I asked for a replacement cross member. Harbor Freight is 1.5 hours from me, so disassembling the press, putting it back in the car and swapping it out for a cross member is a complete waste of time/money on a $170 item..

"Unfortunately, the part you are requesting is not available as a replacement part. The entire shop press will have to be exchanged."

Ok. No go. Weld up incorrectly drilled holes, redrill and soldier on..

Go out last week to do some pressing, bottle jack doesn't work. So I reply to the previous "we can't help you conveniently" email and tell them of my issue, include a video of my issue and ask for a replacement bottle jack.

"Unfortunately, the part you are requesting is not available as a replacement part. The entire shop press will have to be exchanged."

And that's all I've heard from them..
Interesting! My 20T bottle jack also had issues out of the box. I had to bleed it every time to use it, even if it was just one day since the last use. No chance it put out the full 20T either when it was bled.

Unfortunately, I didn't assemble the press until I needed to use it which was about 4 months later so I didn't even consider getting a replacement from the store as it had been more than 90 days. I ended up buying a 20T bottle jack off their shelf to replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenst7 View Post
The bottle jack is the same one as their standard 20 ton. Just take the bottle jack off and exchange it for a new one. Doesn't solve the issue with it being out of the way, but at least it gets around the issue of them not having a "replacement" part. If you have to, buy one a return this one as defective. I don't normally condone getting around warranty periods that way, but they're screwing with you and all you're doing is getting them to make it right.
Are bottle jacks considered for their free lifetime warranty? I find that hard to believe. If not, then how exactly could someone just bring it back to the store and get it replaced?.. or were you suggesting he do that with his 20T press receipt?

Quote:

I emailed your contact..

*ETA*

Thank you!
That's really great of them. Wonder if they'd replace mine even though I bought it probably 3 years ago now and replaced the jack 2.5 years ago. Wouldn't hurt to have a second kicking around in case the replacement I bought failed.
IONH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #6007
djjlm

First post.
I would like to say thank you to this thread for assisting me in the purchase (or lack of) of some tools from harbor freight.

1/2" Drive 25" Breaker Bar - PASS, works great, has a allen screw connecting the head to the bar which i think is a perk.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-driv...bar-60819.html

1/2" Drive 18" Breaker Bar - PASS, pretty much same just shorter, tend to fit in wheel wells better, also a honorable mention, they have a snap-on look to them.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-driv...bar-60818.html

6" Digital Caliper With Metric And SAE Fractional Readings - PASS works good so far, should be able to find a coupon for 10 bucks, and the lady at my hf gives me 25 percent off everything.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-digit...ngs-68304.html

6 Piece Screwdriver Set - Pass, due to the fact there free without purchase... make good pry bars and beaters
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece...set-47770.html

6 inch parts tray - pick them up free without purchase, but honestly would pay 3 bucks for them, if i didnt have 6 already. out of 6 i only had 1 magnet unglue itself from the tray.
Link - They dont have a link for the 6 inch on their site.

40 Piece Carbon Steel SAE Tap And Die Set - FAIL - had to file out peices of metal from the threads on the taps, just overall bad, might work for plastic or rethread... MAYBE!
http://www.harborfreight.com/40-piec...set-39391.html

8 In. Bench Mount Drill Press, 5 Speed - FAIL, loads of slop, can physically wiggle the drill bit in all directions. Would return it asap if i didnt pay 15 bucks for it. If anyone has a fix for all the play let me know.
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-be...eed-60238.html

Auto Darkening Welding Helmet With Blue Flame Design - PASS, paid 36 bucks and have been using it for about 1.5 years, works great http://www.harborfreight.com/blue-fl...met-91214.html

80 Amp Inverter Arc Welder - HUGE PASS, love this thing, has been thrown around and beaten half to death on a daily basis, only con is it doesn't run 1/8 and some 3/32 runs cold.
http://www.harborfreight.com/80-amp-...der-91110.html

Welding gloves- FAIL, they suck stay far away, not providing a link, but my sister used them as gardening gloves

90 Amp Flux Wire Welder - PASS kinda, works fine for exhausts once you get used to it, i have blue version but my friend has the new black one which is better because it only strikes an arc when the trigger is depressed, unlike the blue version.
http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-...8887-8494.html

Flux core wire - FAIL

Probably got a lot more that I'm just not remembering right now but thats my first contribution, hope you enjoy!
djjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #6008
f575gtc

Odd, I had the 90AMP flux and it only arced when I hit the trigger, I traded up for their 120amp they don't make anymore just because I wanted MIG too.
f575gtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #6009
gary300

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
gary300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #6010
oldtools

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaconterraone View Post
I just can't stomach gambling with tools. I'm sure there are a few items that are consistently dependable, but way too often I hear or read about Harbor Fake Tools items being utterly pathetic out of the package - even in HFT's website reviews! (I have to give them credit for allowing negative reviews). Some are even dangerous - especially those using electricity.

I also find the phony "legacy" names of "Pittsburgh" and "Chicago Electric" repugnant. Why not just be honest and call them "Dragon Tools" or "Panda Power" or something?

I also understand that HFT won't honor their "lifetime warranty" without an original receipt - I'm not an accountant or archivist! Hence, while I appreciate the effort people are making towards recommending HFT products that pass their personal experience, I must "pass" on risking an alternative experience.
Dragon Tools and Panda Tools are for professional tools while Pittsburg and Chicago Electric are for low quality tools. HF came up with those brands. Snap On also requires receipt for warranty.
oldtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:43 PM   #6011
Jasonfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtools View Post
Dragon Tools and Panda Tools are for professional tools while Pittsburg and Chicago Electric are for low quality tools. HF came up with those brands. Snap On also requires receipt for warranty.
The couple times I have had to return tools to HF I never needed a receipt, quick easy swap out. The only time I tried to return anything to crap-on they wanted to argue with me about it and refused to replace. I never bought crap-on again!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Jasonfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #6012
Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjlm View Post
First post.

Flux core wire - FAIL

Probably got a lot more that I'm just not remembering right now but thats my first contribution, hope you enjoy!
Welcome to GJ...

What was it about the flux core wire you didn't like?

It is the cheapest flux core wire I have been able to locate, especially with a 25% off coupon. I have run at least three 10lb. rolls total without problems in a Hobart Handler 190 welder. The only complaint I have is that the slag is hard to chip off, but not unreasonable.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #6013
kball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
Looks good, but the Solar BA-7 is cheaper on Amazon with same as far as I can tell functions.
Don't forget HF's 25% off coupons... it would only be $56
kball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:34 AM   #6014
Lhorn

[QUOTE]No more so than "Honest John's used cars" or "Affordable healthcare act"?

How about Craftman made in China?/QUOTE]

The Craftsman name implies nothing about where they are made whereas Pittsburg and Chicago are clearly trying to imply some relationship to towns with reputations for strong blue collar/ manufacturing roots. I don't have any problem with Cen-Tech or any of their other "brands."

I completely agree with you on the "affordable healthcare act."
Lhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:09 AM   #6015
owenst7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IONH View Post
Are bottle jacks considered for their free lifetime warranty? I find that hard to believe. If not, then how exactly could someone just bring it back to the store and get it replaced?.. or were you suggesting he do that with his 20T press receipt?
I had a similar situation when I bought my press (part of the jack was broken due to rough handling). I didn't get around to unpacking it for a few months. I took the jack and my receipt down to the store and kindly asked to speak to the manager. He was very apologetic and asked if I thought it was acceptable if he just gave me a new bottle jack (this was during the transition from the orange paint to the gray, and the bottle jack was not the same color). Of course I couldn't care less, and I thanked him for being understanding and went on my way happily with a new bottle jack. I can't speak for the manager at another store, but the one here in Reno appears to know he's taking business from Sears by offering the service that Sears used to be known for in this area.

If speaking politely face-to-face with a human doesn't get you anywhere, you could probably get away with buying another bottle jack and returning the messed up one. Like I said before, I don't really think that's very honest, but neither is a business selling faulty products. If the local store doesn't want to do business honestly, I think that's on them.

Last edited by owenst7; 02-18-2014 at 02:12 AM.
owenst7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #6016
ggoss

Chicago 3in x 21in Belt Sander, Item#69859 - PASS

I've had this for almost a year, and have put many hours on it sanding very hard wood (ipe) without a hiccup. The belt does not drift to either side, construction is solid, and adjustments need only be made once (i.e. they don't drift either). It gets hot, but not overly so (doesn't smell like burning plastic). Dust collection is okay, but don't expect that little bag to catch all (or even most) of it.
ggoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #6017
Rakoprtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kball View Post
Don't forget HF's 25% off coupons... it would only be $56
This is what I was thinkin
Rakoprtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #6018
IONH

Returned the 11hp Predator engine I had purchased for my snow blower today unused and had no restocking fee as I did not add oil or gas. Was easy enough.
IONH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #6019
gary300

Harbor freight Pistol Grip Blow Gun item #68258 ****BIG**** FAIL!!!!!!

Got this Blow Gun a couple of days ago and just tried it out this morning. Put in the 1/4" male quick connect and applied 135 PSI pressure. The serrated metal inlet bushing let go out of the plastic handle and launched the gun at about warp 7 across the garage into a glass jar of pasta sauce in the pantry which broke into a big mess. Seems like this is going to be the beginning of a bad day.

gary300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #6020
roketa36

I've had one of them around the shop for a while and it has always worked decent. Is the coupler glued or formed in. Might have just gotten one that had a bad coupler on it
roketa36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harbor freight