Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
Mr. D

Default Looking for building cost per sq ft info

Hi guys

I'm in the planning stages for a new construction house/garage that while it's still a few years down the road I want to get an idea now of the cost I'm facing.

I have a 3/4 ac lot in North Alabama I plan to build on and have been told that a new construction house is about $85 per sq ft +/- $10 depending on what upgrades I pick or not pick.

So if a house cost $85 per sq ft what am I looking at for a detatched garage cost per sq ft? The plan is to have this 40X30 detatched garage match the house from a external look stand point.

Mr. D
Mr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
IDASHO

Default Re: Looking for building cost per sq ft info

I always figure $100 per square foot for residential homes.

You would be hard pressed to build a home entirely on your own for even $60 per square foot. I know, Ive tried.

For a detached, insulated and finished, Id suggest you figure $40-$60 per square foot.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
dodgeram2500

I spent $24/sq. ft CDN to get my shell up. (no insulation, drywall, heat, electrical, etc.) 98% of the labor was myself/friends...the only hired help was the cement finishers. You can see the build here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=28771
Old 01-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Shocker

I am just about finished with my shop. 764sqft. Stick built. T-111 Siding. Fully painted. One window, one man door. One 16x9 shop door. 10ft walls. 12" eaves. 3 20amp electrical lines run. 6" monolithic slab with rebar and 4" stemwall. Electrical connection to pole and 30year 3 tab architectural comp roof.

So, that was about 16k as it stands. It did include site prep and such. Works out to $21 per square.

Still need to do the asphalt and gravel, install the heater and put some kind of coating on the floor. They were going to do a standard sealer, but I am still deciding.
Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
Mr. D

Thanks guys that's the info I was looking for.
Mr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
kvom

My attached garage 36x25 with upstairs apartment + full bath has cost me $59/ft^2. Wife and I did all of the interior paint and trim, and I did wiring with help.

Approximately 10% of my cost was attributable to requirements for HOA compliance, permits, inspections, and other stuff that was not really critical to the actual build.
'08 Kia Sprint5 - for getting around
'12 Chrysler 200 - wife's grocery getter
kvom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
redsky49

Go to your local library and look up the Mean's Construction Guide to residential construction. They have 'rule of thumb' estimates that will get you in the ball park. Once you have nailed down some of the construction details, use the various sections of the guide to get better numbers. Maybe have a breakdown for foundation, rough framing, exterior finishes, electrical, etc.

Contractor pricing is variable based on season, available work, desirability of the project, whims of the estimator, etc.

Include a 20% contingency fund through the design phase. 10% once the construction documents are finalized.

Good luck with your project
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
BooUrns!

I'm struggling to build a house on a budget of $120/sf. Residential builders here charge anywhere from $300-$350/sf (incl. lot & att. garage).

When I was doing residential framing, garage framing jobs were about $4.00/sf framing labour cost to the builder and easily double that for an individual homeowner (mainly because they are one-off jobs ~no continuous work).
BooUrns! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #9
brad d

Doing my shop mostly my self with buds it was around 25-30$ heat, paint ect 2x6 stick build
Old 01-29-2009, 06:03 AM   #10
larry4406

My ~1500sf stick built detached ran about $33/sf. Mind you, this is 28x50x12 ceiling, full attic trusses so I have a loft above, the side is in a bank so I have perimeter concrete stairs/retaining wall, partially buried in the rear so I have a stepped 12', 8', then 4' concrete walls, full bath and shower, propane forced heat and ac, and 3 garage doors with liftmaster jack shafts (2 -9x9 and 1 - 18x9).
larry4406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:08 AM   #11
Lloydthumper

I have been told I am crazy but I built my 30x40x12 Garage outside finished and the inside un finished for $16,000 that works out to $13.33 sqft. I bought everything new and built it with one friend and that included giving him $900 to help me. The floor with the block wall cost me $3800 so that put the building being $11,300 I used trusses and 2x6 walls. and two 10x10 roll up doors. I did my own grading and footing work already had nails etc. It might have cost a couple of hundred here or there but $16,000 is really close. Got off track The cost of building a house per sqft depends on the builder and the floor plan and if you already own your land I have seen a low of $70 sqft to as high as you want to pay.
Lloydthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
tagoes11s

I would like to see more actual numbers as well. Realistic numbers. I guess some people with stupid money may pay someone to build them a $40-60 sf detached garage. But how about a realistic approach to Building something nice.

I'm looking at this package from Menards that I can build with help from friends 40x63x14 which is 2,520 sf. Materials are listed at $19,139 using the ProRib Steel. Thats $7.59 per sf. for materials. I'm planning on $6,000 for concrete work. Add in $10,000 for some finishing items like electricity, lights, Steel ceiling, etc etc. For $35,000 or $13 a sf I figure I can have a very nicely built 40x63x14 garage built to house my toys. Am I way off somewhere??? At $60 sf it would cost $151,000. If my calculations are correct, then I just saved $116,000. I guess I can buy a new 638hp ZR1 Corvette to keep in it!

So my question is, is it realistic to think you can build a 40x63x14, with the exterior completely finished, cement work done, electricity, etc for under $15 sf? I imagine I could expoxy the floor, insulate and finish the inside for around $15,000. So at the extreme, I could have a finished 2,520 sf building for $50,000 or $19 sf. What am I missing?
tagoes11s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #13
kvom

My stick-built attached garage has ~1600 square feet. Of the $59/square foot it has cost, 44% ($26) are actual material costs.

Obviously pre-fab metal erected with free labor will cost significantly less. A lot depends on where you live (zoning laws, HOA rules, weather). If you live in the desert that metal building better have good insulation and air conditioning. If you want plumbing add some more. Demolition and/or site prep can add a good bit if needed.

So there are no hard and fast rules. Every situation is different.

Most people say to plan on a 20% budget overrun.
'08 Kia Sprint5 - for getting around
'12 Chrysler 200 - wife's grocery getter
kvom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
mikeyr

Around here they quote $300+ sq.ft. for residential space and $37 sq.ft. for non-living detached garage space, if the garage is attached costs go up to $56 sq. ft.

All my quotes were for $45 sq. ft. to $65 sq. ft. I skimped on a few items and built them myself rather than have the contractor do it and got it down to $31 sq. ft. complete (including plans cost and permit/inspection costs). Concrete and framing was done by the contractor and I did the siding and wiring to get it down to that price.

The plans, permit, inspections costs were not minor in the Republic of Santa Barbara, about $8k of the total was architect/engineering that was required by the city and then permits and inspections.

City now says because it is not fair that I was able to do some work and other people might not be able to, they will re-assess at their standard $37 sq. ft. ( I am unhappily ok with that ) rather than my actual cost.

Last edited by mikeyr; 01-30-2009 at 01:02 PM.
mikeyr is offline   Reply With Quote