Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
Alexbn921

Smile Delta Rockwell Drill Press Restore 1957

Thanks to garage journal I have been searching Craigslist for a old drill press. I have want one for awhile and I finally found one. Email the guy severly days ago and he just got back to me. After an hour drive and $110 dollars I am the proud owner of a 1957 Delta Rockwell Drill Press. I was in a San Francisco hotels workshop for the last 57 years. There is almost no rust and it is silent. It was shocking how quit it ran. Needs new belts and fresh paint.
I had to pull it apart to get the damn thing out of the car by myself. I weights at least a 100 lbs!

No model number but most likely a 15- 412. The serial is 119-3181,with the help of vintagemachinery.org dates it as 1957.

The best part is that it has the 3 pull slow speed setup. Only a 1/3hp motor, but that will be more than enuff for me.

AFTER

Last edited by Alexbn921; 11-29-2014 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Updated Finished pictures.
Alexbn921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
southalabama

Default Re: Delta Rockwell Drill Press Restore 1957

Nice.

Thanks to garagejournal I've been looking for a similar drill press. I haven't been so lucky. Mostly hf drill presses selling for more than new.
southalabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
Fretters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexbn921 View Post
It was shocking how quit it ran.
That's a nice pillar drill. Condition seems quite good. It's amazing just how much of a difference in quality there is between something like that and one of the modern import jobbies, isn't it. Very quiet running, no vibration, runout etc., (providing everything is in decent nick). A good quality drill and a cheap one are worlds apart in performance.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
Outlawmws

That is a nice find with the intermediate pulley. you don't see many vintage DP's with those. The pulley alone is worth near the price of admission...

Outlaw's Camp Gear Thread
Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale
- For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)
Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback
"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
Alexbn921

The triple pulley did catch my eye.
I've got a couple of questions for the experts out there.
1. What is a close match for the original paint? A code or link would be great.
2. How the hell do I get the name badge off without buggering it up? It is near impossible to get to the back and it is on there good.
3. Once its off what should I use to clean it?
4. The bearings are good, but since I have it apart it would be nice to replace or clean the stock ones.
5. There is a little spring loaded knob on the side of the case with a hole behind it. What is it?

Old wires disintegrated so I will use all new cords.
Motor has some wasp mud in it, so its coming apart. I wanted to clean/lube the brushes anyway.

Not sure what the Walnut is for.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
Davefr

Nameplate rivets are often like this:

Cut a slit with a Dremel and see if they back out with a slotted screwdriver. Plan B is to grind them off and them punch them out.

You can then use new rivets or tap a hole and use a brass R.H. screw.

Polish the nameplate with a something very gentle like simichrome that is very fine abrasive. Go lightly so you don't remove the nameplate numbers.

I'd replace the bearings. They're actually pretty inexpensive if they're standard sizes and not proprietary.
Davefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #7
nine4gmc

Nice press, it has the two bearings on the spindle pulley like my floor model, instead of the single bearing like on my bench model. I'm unsure what spring loaded knob you mean, neither of mine have one, mind getting a pic or pointing out where it's located on yours? Also, do you have a model number or just the serial number plate? When refurbing mine, I could not get to the plate pins from the back so I just taped them off and painted around them. Hurt my heart knowing it's not finished behind there but it would have killed me to tear up that plate trying to get it off... I found Rustoleum Smoke Gray to be an almost perfect match. Give me a minute and I'll tell you what year your machine was made.

1957 according to: http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Del...alNumbers.ashx

Oh yeah, I'd replace the bearings as well but don't just go by the stamped number, measure the inside diameter. I had to order two sets as the first set was same model number but wrong I.D. Bearings are cheap and you don't want to have to tear it back down after painting, trust me...

Last edited by nine4gmc; 05-25-2014 at 09:21 PM.
nine4gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #8
WWIIjeep

Quote:
4. The bearings are good, but since I have it apart it would be nice to replace or clean the stock ones.
Correction, I was assuming from what could be seen in the photos that his drill press was a slightly different model. See my next post, #15 below, for correct information.

Quote:
5. There is a little spring loaded knob on the side of the case with a hole behind it. What is it?
Oil hole for quill.

Last edited by WWIIjeep; 05-26-2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Correction after identifying correct model.
WWIIjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:09 AM   #9
nine4gmc

Good info Jeep
nine4gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:40 AM   #10
gilbo

good find, and no arc of shame either, this tuneup should be quick and easy

Last edited by gilbo; 05-26-2014 at 09:19 AM.
gilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #11
Alexbn921

It feels so good to have the help and resources of everyone on this forum. I would not have attempted this major of a restoration without knowing that I had backup.
I tend to bounce around on a project like this, you can only use the wire wheel for so long.
The motor had a wasp nest that need cleaned out. I pulled it apart and without destroying anything cleaned the mud out and blasted it with the air hole.
Is there anything I should do before I put it back together?
There are no bushes, just some felt things and copper contractors. Kind of hard to get a picture of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davefr View Post
Nameplate rivets are often like this:

Cut a slit with a Dremel and see if they back out with a slotted screwdriver. Plan B is to grind them off and them punch them out.

I'd replace the bearings. They're actually pretty inexpensive if they're standard sizes and not proprietary.
Thanks Dave I will use the dremel to extract them. I am still on the fence about it. I really want the clean full paint look, but know want to mess up the name plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine4gmc View Post
I'm unsure what spring loaded knob you mean, neither of mine have one, mind getting a pic or pointing out where it's located on yours?
It located just above and to the right of the nameplate.

Quote:
Also, do you have a model number or just the serial number plate?
No model number, only the serial.
Quote:
I found Rustoleum Smoke Gray to be an almost perfect match.
Perfect. Thanks I will be ordering some today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIIjeep View Post
The spindle bearings are New Departure 88100 bearings with a special notched inner race to fit the interchangeable spindles that were used in that drill press. The ND 88100 bearings haven't been available for about 30 years; however, there is a guy named Jim who is making very good and reasonably-priced replacements using modern bearings fitted with a custom-made sleeve for the inner race. I don't know if Jim is a member here, but he's a member of owwm.org (old woodworking machines group). Can't remember his last name.
Hi Jeep and Thanks. The bearings are New Departure 88100. They are still in good shape, because the drill was in super low speed mode most of its life. It is not the hard to remove the spindle so I might just clean/lube everything and put it back together for now. I will try and find Jim to get some replacements ordered. Never know when my grand kids are going to need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIIjeep View Post
That hole provides access to a set-screw in a collar which holds the interchangeable spindles in place. The collar both locks the spindle in the quill and provides positive spindle drive by means of a tab that fits into a corresponding notch in the inner race of the upper spindle bearing. Same thing happens at the lower spindle bearing with a fixed collar on the spindle, just above the chuck. Look at the top of your removed spindle assembly and you'll see the set-screw collar on the spindle at the top of the quill.
Not sure if this is the same hole. I included a picture above.
I believe this is the set collar that you are talking about on the spindle assembly. I read you can bang the chuck off, but it would be nice to confirm it. Maybe its just dirty, but I don't see any setscrews in the thing above the chuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbo View Post
good find, and no arc of shame either, this resto should be quick and easy
Hi Gilbo. No ark of shame, only one misplaced hole right off to the side of the main hole. Quick And Easy not so far.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #12
Davefr

Quote:
Thanks Dave I will use the dremel to extract them. I am still on the fence about it. I really want the clean full paint look, but know want to mess up the name plate.
If it were mine, I'd probably restore the nameplates while still on the machine since you have at least three of them. It looks like they'd clean up nicely.

Use a gentle metal polish, clean, then spray the nameplate with clear lacquer. (use toothpicks to polish small areas). Now mask them right to the very edge of the metal. Contour little strips of masking tape to go around corners. Now restore/refinish the rest of the machine. (you can also use a 000 artist brush and Testers hobby enamel for filling in some missing paint.)

Here's an example. It's hard to make them perfect but they can be substantially improved.

Before:

After nameplate only was restored while still on machine:

After machine was repainted:

Here's another example. This was a NOS Baldor but the original paint was destoyed. I think it was on a warehouse shelf and solvent dripped on it and removed the original paint. I was able to save the nameplate and all four decals including the little US flag. I spent more time masking then painting. (using Xacto knife and Optivisor). Hope this helps:

Last edited by Davefr; 05-26-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Davefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #13
Fretters

For trying to ease rivets out on nameplates, (doesn't always work, but most times does), I find tapping the cutting edge of a Stanley knife blade under the plate by the rivets will most times start the rivets lifting, unless they're rusted in there. The blade is fine enough that it won't distort the nameplate to any degree, and if they don't start to shift, stop then and leave the nameplate inplace rather than trying to remove it, else if they do start to move a putty knife or paper scraper can then be slid under the nameplate edges to tease it up with the rivets gradually.

Last edited by Fretters; 05-26-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Fretters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #14
Alexbn921

Thanks for the tips on the name plates. I've spent at least 10 hours over the last two days working on the DP. Got a lot of things knocked off the list.

The motor is back together and spinning smooth.
The deck is mostly striped
I got the Jacobs chuck off and need to disassemble and clean it.
All the pulleys are as clean as I can get them. Didn't want to mess one up getting too aggressive.
Most small parts got hit with the wire wheel and are ready for deburring and polish.
Center slow assembly is clean, lubed and ready for reinstallation.

ToDo
I'm going to keep the original bearings.
Paint.
New wires.
Clean the rest of the big pieces.

Does anyone have a recommendation on grease?

All packed onto the cart so the kids don't mess with it.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #15
WWIIjeep

Quote:
Hi Jeep and Thanks. The bearings are New Departure 88100. They are still in good shape, because the drill was in super low speed mode most of its life. It is not the hard to remove the spindle so I might just clean/lube everything and put it back together for now. I will try and find Jim to get some replacements ordered. Never know when my grand kids are going to need them.

Not sure if this is the same hole. I included a picture above.
I believe this is the set collar that you are talking about on the spindle assembly. I read you can bang the chuck off, but it would be nice to confirm it. Maybe its just dirty, but I don't see any setscrews in the thing above the chuck.
No, that's the integral locking collar on a Jacobs 633-C chuck assembly.

The set-screw collar I was talking about is at the other end of the quill. No matter though, because now I can see that yours is the next-in-line of the Delta drill press models, made after the one I was talking about (which leads me to believe that I shouldn't be reading the forum late at night when I should be thinking about going to sleep instead).

The spindle bearings for your drill press should still be available, and your spindle is held in place at the top by a retaining ring instead of a set-screw collar.

The spring cap and the hole on the side of the head casting is for oiling the quill.

You can't "bang the chuck off." You have to loosen that collar above it with an appropriately-sized pin-type spanner wrench. Once loosened, continue turning the collar down until it contacts the top of the chuck. Continue turning some more to force the chuck off of the taper on the end of the spindle.
WWIIjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #16
Alexbn921

Worked on the chuck a little last night. After struggling to get it off and worrying that I would break some thing I got it free. Looked up how to disassemble the chuck and after pressing hammering and pressing again it came apart. Cleaned the threads with a small wire wheel on the demel. Gonna polish it up with the deburring wheel. The dirt is packed in on every part I try to clean.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #17
gearheadglen

looks good, I am working on reassembling a chuck right now, what type of grease are you going to use on the jaws and half nuts before reassembly?
gearheadglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #18
GirchyGirchy

Nice find! My old Walker-Turner's apart right now, waiting for me to get my ass in gear and strip/clean/paint it.
GirchyGirchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #19
Alexbn921

Hi Glen
I've got two candidates for oil. Red engine start up lube and Fox anti-friction air fork oil. Maybe someone that has done it before will chime in. The fox stuff is not as sticky as the start-up lube and does not dry out.
Girchey get off your butt and do it. Its like eating a horse, one bit at a time. Do little things that you can finish in an hour or two. Its a big job and I might have to get a sand blaster for the base and table. It will take forever with the wire wheel and the nooks and crannies are a pain.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #20
Outlawmws

Alex, don't sand blast the table's top surface... and if you want to de-rust and repaint the lazy man's way, go for the E-tank...

Outlaw's Camp Gear Thread
Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale
- For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)
Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback
"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is offline   Reply With Quote