Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2009, 03:09 AM   #1
Vinko

Default Best wall organization for picks, shovels, brooms, etc?

Am I missing the great thread on this? If so, would someone please point me to that thread in the archive? I've got two different spaces I'd like to work on. One in the shop and one in a small home garage. Plywood walls. The one in the shop has got a lot of heavy shovels, picks, hoes, rakes, etc. I'd like to really organize it well. The other is more light duty for the home.

I'm not sure that stuff I'm going to find at HD is going to be the best stuff for hanging shovels. And those systems seem a waste of space. There's got to be a better way. But I'm open to all ways, creative, traditional, weird, whatever.

Also got a cinder block wall that I'm going to have to hang brooms and mops on and I'm not sure what I'll do there.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
Vinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
nissan_crawler

Default Re: Best wall organization for picks, shovels, brooms, etc?

I got some cheap stamped metal pieces that work great. they're meant to be screwed on, but I welded mine to shelving, due to space. Don't ask where I got them, I can't remember what I had for supper. Probably TSC/Lowes/Home Depot.

It came in 3 or 4' strips, 2 to a bag for cheap. Beadrolled top and bottom, with pieces stamped out, you bend them out and screw it on.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-27-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
Distinctive-Garages.com

GarageGrid, GridWall, or SlatTRACK are all great options. VERY durable and VERY secure on the wall.

http://distinctive-garages.com/wall-systems

http://www.distinctive-garages.com
Distinctive-Garages.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
Brad54

I absolutely love white-faced pegboard. You have to go with the GOOD hooks, not the ones with the little black plastic keeper.

With pegboard, you aren't limited by the height of the rack, and can maximize space much better. For instance, the head of a push broom is a couple feet wide, and the broom is long. When you hand that at the top of the board, you can hand your pitchfork close to the broom handle, under the head of the broom. On a rack system, you can't do that, so you're wasting all the space under the broom head.

The walls in my garage are dry-walled, and my house in Floriduh had cinder block walls in the garage. I used 1x2 stringers to stand the pegboard off the walls, around the perimeter of the pegboard and one in the center (short way--across the 4-foot dimension, not the long way). Nails on the drywall, Tapcon self-tapping concrete screws on the cinder block.

-Brad

Parting out Reed and Columbia vises
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139072
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
Stuey

I'd go with Rubbermaid or Gladiator.

Amazon 50-70%-off Tool Deal-Finder
Stuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
kartracer23

Personally, I prefer the single, cam lock style. It allows you to position them for your needs (some wide / some narrow) and fill in gaps with shorter handle tools (like a garden spade). Mine are Stanley, but here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.acemart.com/janitorial/fl...le-each(COI515)

I've mounted them in concrete block before - just used TapCon screws.
kartracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
67pete300

There was an article in Family Handyman that I followed in my last house. I mounted one and a half sheets of 4x8 3/4" plywood (longwise) over the drywall on one wall in my garage. Gave it a nice custom paint job with racing stripes. Then I could pick an choose from any of the tons of screw-in hangars available at any Lowe's or Home Depot to mount stuff on the wall. No searching for studs and you could pack stuff on the wall very efficiently if you took a little time. You had more height options than the sections of track such as Gearwall. You could probably do a whole wall in that stuff but I bet it's alot more expensive than two sheets of plywood and some paint you have leftover.

My Car Thread
67pete300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #8
66HertzClone
Alliance Member

I used one of these in the corner of our shed. I also have a fairly large piece of plywood with hooks and clips for the smaller items, I outlined the tools on the plywood in hopes my wife would put the tools back in place. Nope.
66HertzClone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
sammerdog
Banned

I wanted to hide the shovels, brooms, etc. Grabbed a cabinet, left out the bottom shelves, cut a few slots in the top shelf. Reinforced with threaded rod and came up with this -

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/o...7/GEDC0211.jpg

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/o...7/GEDC0212.jpg
sammerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
JD in DFW

We only install and recommend Store-Wall HD in our garage makeovers and customizations. Here are a few pics of a recent job we did. The customer wanted to go with the cedar colored Store-Wall floor to ceiling, and this was for two-2.5 car garages at the house. I don't recall how much they spent on the hanging brackets and other accessories, but the outcome was great!

You can see some of our Custom Garages at www.customgarageworkstx.com

Last edited by JD in DFW; 01-27-2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: pic's
JD in DFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #11
Torque1st

I am cheap! I use 2 lengths of 2x4 to fit the space. One mounted high to the studs for long items, and one mounted low for short handled objects. Use large finishing nails or regular nails according to needs. Put on a few of those Cam-Lock holders kartracer23 mentioned for items with no ready holes in the handle. A person can even add fancy hangers purchased at the local home box store in places where needed. When your needs change move the nails etc. Save the money for tools...

BTW, the 2x4's can be fastened to cinder block walls also. A person needs to get a little more creative to mount a 2x4 in a metal shed but it can be done. Instead of nails use construction screws in the metal shed to hold objects. Sometimes the heads have to be cut off after installation tho.

Last edited by Torque1st; 01-27-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Torque1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
boiler7904

When I am finally able to finish the garage, I think I'll getting a few of these for lawn and garden tools from Gempler's. A couple of the single spoke units would be good for an extension ladder. The thing I like about them is that you can use some depth of the space instead of spreading tools out over half of a wall.

Long-Handle Tool Rack at Gempler's

In the mean time, I've got a combination of things going on in my garage. There's a couple of pieces of 2x6 with 3" nails that hold items that have holes in the ends of the handles. I also use one for various clamps. Since I have open studs, I took 2 pieces of scrap 1x3 maybe 15" long and screwed them to either side of a stud at a slight upward angle. Holds a couple of shovels, squeegee, 3 lb hammer, etc. The best part about it is that it was basically free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
Oh, and it's BMWPower. I do have powerful BM's but wouldn't want everyone to know all my secrets.
boiler7904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
mcgyverit

Torque1st, I like the way you think. That is just what I did with spare lumber left over from building my garage. The only problem I had was my Kids were too short to hang the long handle tools up so I always had to get them down/up. somehow now after 6 years they can get them down, but the tools never find their way back on the nails.
ITA #53 Neon ACR
Sponsered by Izzy's Custom Cages
CrapCan Racing #399 Eggboy Racing SHO
mcgyverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
kbs2244

My problem with the long rack type systems is the make you put everything at the same height.
I used the heavy duty, 1/4 inch thick, peg board along with the heavy duty hooks.
This gives me the flexability to stagger where I put the stuff depending on how long the handles are and how big the ends are.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #15
mjb

I used to keep them hanging on the wall until I realized that I did not use them often enough to justify them taking up space I could use for cabinets.

I moved all the yard tools to a shed on the side of the house and have a mop, push and corn broom hanging inside a cabinet door.
mjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #16
kenfath

My father-in-law passed along two sections of the racks which were used to hold radiator hoses in service stations in years gone by. They have steel rod brackets that are strong enough for shovels, chains and the 10 lb sledge hammer. Very versatile gadgets.
kenfath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #17
Vinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler7904 View Post
When I am finally able to finish the garage, I think I'll getting a few of these for lawn and garden tools from Gempler's. A couple of the single spoke units would be good for an extension ladder. The thing I like about them is that you can use some depth of the space instead of spreading tools out over half of a wall.

Long-Handle Tool Rack at Gempler's
I think this is the best design I've found. I'm going to fabricate these with flat strap or possibly some angle-iron.
Vinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:24 PM   #18
mesquiteforge

The Gempler's design would work well. I made a similar rack last year for all of my long handled items. I took an 8ft. section of 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 Angle Iron, bent and welded 2 pieces of 1/2 round every 1ft.-1.5ft. I spaced them out on the angle iron to allow for different tools(i.e. leaf rakes take up more space than a shovel, etc.) I made each section of round stock 16 inches in length(from the angle iron) and put a slight upward bend in the last 2inches to prevent tools from slipping off the end. I welded the whole rack to a purlin on the wall that is about 7 ft high. It works great. The rack is in a shop on my family's ranch-so I will get picks ASAP, but do not have any now.

Here's my "artist's rendering"-hopefully it will help. The areas marked in red are the points at which I welded the round stock to the angle iron.

mesquiteforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #19
e-tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb View Post
I used to keep them hanging on the wall until I realized that I did not use them often enough to justify them taking up space I could use for cabinets.

I moved all the yard tools to a shed on the side of the house and have a mop, push and corn broom hanging inside a cabinet door.
x2. As tools should all have their place, the place for garden tools is NOT in my shop!
e-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:47 AM   #20
Stargeezer

I used those welded twin-rung tool holders from Gemplers. Each of these holds quite a few tools. Couple of styles. Really strong. Have one wall of the Wife's garden shed lined with them.

Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote