Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Lighting & Electrical

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
locomike

Default Wiring to outbuilding?

I have an outbuilding located a good distance from the house that I would like to just be able to run some lights in and such. I am gonna be using it as my garage until I am able to build the real garage. If I was to run say 30 amps to it would I still be able to run 100amp service to the garage when I build it? Have 200amp service on the house? If so I figure 30A would be plenty to run some lights and receptacles. It is only a 12x24 building.
locomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
rinny_tin_tin

Default Re: Wiring to outbuilding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomike View Post
I have an outbuilding located a good distance from the house that I would like to just be able to run some lights in and such. I am gonna be using it as my garage until I am able to build the real garage. If I was to run say 30 amps to it would I still be able to run 100amp service to the garage when I build it? Have 200amp service on the house? If so I figure 30A would be plenty to run some lights and receptacles. It is only a 12x24 building.
30A would be more than plenty. You don't say what a "good distance" is - as this may drive the size of your cable feed to the outbuilding. However, since you plan to eventually run a 100A service to the building - I would run now, if possible, the cable necessary to satisfy the future planned 100A service - and use it for the temp 30A for now.
rinny_tin_tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
35mastr

Rinny brings up a good point.The size of your cable is going to be the part that you need to be concerned about.

A good distance need to known before you run the wire to there.

Mac tools For Sale Here
George
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
sberry

This is a good case for number 2 alum quad wire, 90 ampacity and as cheap as a number 10 30A wire.
sberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
mrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberry27 View Post
This is a good case for number 2 alum quad wire, 90 ampacity and as cheap as a number 10 30A wire.
make sure this #2 quad aluminum cable is of a listed type such as XHHW. If it just says URD or XLPE on it, the cable cant enter the structure.
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:26 PM   #6
locomike

Sorry for the delay getting back. Thx for the replies, been pretty busy. I don't want to run the 100amp service up there because the future garage will be in a totally different location. The "good distance" is probably between 150-200 feet guesstimating. Just don't know if it would be worth the time, money, and hassle just for lighting and couple outlets. Few years ago I used extension cord with stand up halogen and completely rebuilt my old 673 Raptor up there at nights. Was quite enjoyable lol but i've accumulated alot more stuff since then. I am renting my garage/shop in town now so I need to save funds to build one at the homestead. Well enough rantin'..........
Old 08-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
locomike

Reviving old thread here. I am back thinkin' about running electrice to the building again. Like I said it is a good 150 feet at least. If I can do it cheap I was gonna run some UF cable in some conduit above ground up to it and then I can always remove everything later on down the road. Lights and outlets. I do have a table saw, circular saw, and miter saw that I would use occasionally. With that in mind I would like to hear your thoughts.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:30 PM   #8
rockwithjason
Union Wireman

if it were me I would run 10/3 or 8/3 and put it in conduit in a ditch. that would give you 220v and 30 a to play with which is more than enough for anything except a welder.
rockwithjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
locomike

That long of a distance would be alright to run 10ga?
Old 08-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
rockwithjason
Union Wireman

at 220v you would be right on the edge of the voltage drop limit but it should be ok if you want to save a buck on wire. you can always upsize the wire to 8 awg copper or 6 awg aluminum.
rockwithjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:08 AM   #11
locomike

I really don't even care about 220v. I am just wanting electric up there temporarily until I can build my garage next year. It is going to be in a totally different spot that's why i'm not running 100amp to this building.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:21 AM   #12
checkthisout

Quote:
I really don't even care about 220v. I am just wanting electric up there temporarily until I can build my garage next year. It is going to be in a totally different spot that's why i'm not running 100amp to this building.
Go with 150 feet of Romex 10-2 copper in conduit. Pick a conduit size that you might want to use for your new garage. You can pull the 10-2 back out of it and use it in your new structure for larger circuits.

I would bury it. Who knows when you will actually get to the new project.
checkthisout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:29 AM   #13
locomike

If I used the 10-2 would I still have to put a sub panel or could I just run it inside the building and then start feeding the outlets and lights and use the exterior house panel as the disconnect. Normally I would run the lights and outlets on seperate circuits but wouldn't need to for this project.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #14
checkthisout

Quote:
If I used the 10-2 would I still have to put a sub panel or could I just run it inside the building and then start feeding the outlets and lights and use the exterior house panel as the disconnect. Normally I would run the lights and outlets on seperate circuits but wouldn't need to for this project.
Well, are you trying to be within code, be safe, be perfect, or just have a slightly fancier version of the extension cord you are using now?
Old 08-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
sberry

You need some means of disconnect at the building, could be a switch but none will meet code without burial and if I was fooling with it there would be a 10/3. If I was on the cheap I would gfci it before it left the house and use 20a brkr.
sberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #16
locomike

Definitely not trying to meet code. I measured the distance yesterday and it's 205feet so figure 215ft. I am not buring anything because it is not going to be there forever and I sure ain't digging it back up. It is a 12x24 what I call "hillbilly heaven". I just want enough for receptacles and to light it up, mainly lights. So 10/2 with 20amp breaker from house to the building. I saw a cheap like $17 box (main lug) at Menards. Can I just use this and run a circuit for the lights and outlets off this?
Old 08-31-2009, 12:54 AM   #17
checkthisout

Quote:
Definitely not trying to meet code. I measured the distance yesterday and it's 205feet so figure 215ft. I am not buring anything because it is not going to be there forever and I sure ain't digging it back up. It is a 12x24 what I call "hillbilly heaven". I just want enough for receptacles and to light it up, mainly lights. So 10/2 with 20amp breaker from house to the building. I saw a cheap like $17 box (main lug) at Menards. Can I just use this and run a circuit for the lights and outlets off this?

Don't see why not. As someone else mentioned, 10/3 might be better that you can have two circuits.

Say, one for running an air compressor and the other for running a couple halogen lights.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:11 AM   #18
locomike

What's the difference between a main lug box and main breaker panel?