Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #41
ovilla

Default Re: The MaxJax Portable 2-Post Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by C G View Post
I just cant get my head around this thing. Id really like one but I don't know if I have the nerve to get under a car that's on one. I just have a hard time trusting a few bolts glued into the cement to keep those things from pulling out and tipping inwards. Plus the rides I would use em for are my 41 and 56 Caddy's. Or my 71 K20 truck or my 69 C10 panel. All large and heavy. Gives me the willies just thinking about it.
I have a BendPak HD-9 that initially gave me the same feeling. Even after having used it a good 100 times now, I still always walk around and check all of the locks and even push on the car that is being lifted (prior to working on it) just to make sure it feels solid. I think it's best to always be respectful of your lift and want to double check everything.
ovilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #42
thefirebuilds

sorry to cross post. but:

We bought this lift and got it installed. We notice that the jacks don't raise at the same rate, resulting in one reaching its maximum height before the other. I have bled the system per the instructions and the floor is very level. Am I missing something stupid?
thefirebuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #43
wachuko

Cool Re: The MaxJax Portable 2-Post Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirebuilds View Post
sorry to cross post. but:

We bought this lift and got it installed. We notice that the jacks don't raise at the same rate, resulting in one reaching its maximum height before the other. I have bled the system per the instructions and the floor is very level. Am I missing something stupid?
A few of us have experienced the same... need to keep bleeding, you still have air in the system. Did you use close to 9 quarts of oil to fill the system? Did you raise the unit all the way up making sure you still had oil in the bottle to avoid air going back in the lines?

Swap the lines from left to right to see if the problem moves to the other column.

What difference are you seeing? Measure it. 1/2" to 1" seems to be normal. You still need to rest the lift on the stops when working under the car, so it will be level, but still, raising the car should not show a significant difference between the columns.

If the problem persists then you will need to call Gabe and ask for a new flow divider.

Keep us posted.

Wachuko

Three car garage
MaxJax low-ceiling two-post lift
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:47 AM   #44
revlover

I think once you put weight on the lift, it'll level out... try that first...

http://www.maxjaxusa.com
revlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #45
thefirebuilds

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
A few of us have experienced the same... need to keep bleeding, you still have air in the system. Did you use close to 9 quarts of oil to fill the system? Did you raise the unit all the way up making sure you still had oil in the bottle to avoid air going back in the lines?

Swap the lines from left to right to see if the problem moves to the other column.

What difference are you seeing? Measure it. 1/2" to 1" seems to be normal. You still need to rest the lift on the stops when working under the car, so it will be level, but still, raising the car should not show a significant difference between the columns.

If the problem persists then you will need to call Gabe and ask for a new flow divider.

Keep us posted.
ok yes, we were told to put in 7 quarts and then I noticed the motor makes that "im dry" noise (near the top) so I asked dad to add a little more fluid and he found he needed another 2 quarts

anyway, I think he was talking 1-2" and I figured I could just re bleed them again today and probably correct the issue.

I'm not concerned except for the fact if the car is raising on each side at different rates then its stressing one jack more than the other
Old 05-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #46
Ryan
Administrator

I had the same issue... Just keep bleeding and it should be fine.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #47
wachuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by revlover View Post
I think once you put weight on the lift, it'll level out... try that first...
Good point that I forgot to highlight... need to bleed both with and without weight...

Wachuko

Three car garage
MaxJax low-ceiling two-post lift
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #48
anaxagoras

I got mine to about a half inch difference after extensive bleeding. Mine took 9 quarts as well. After I put some load on it it was fine.
anaxagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #49
revlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaxagoras View Post
I got mine to about a half inch difference after extensive bleeding. Mine took 9 quarts as well. After I put some load on it it was fine.
Yeah, I spoke to Gabe at Dannmar about this and he said it has something to do with weight being applied back to the Flowdivider that makes it level out.

I had the same problem and insisted on a replacement Flowdivider, but he told me to try putting weight on it... from then on... perfectly level.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:35 AM   #50
thefirebuilds

Quote:
Originally Posted by revlover View Post
Yeah, I spoke to Gabe at Dannmar about this and he said it has something to do with weight being applied back to the Flowdivider that makes it level out.

I had the same problem and insisted on a replacement Flowdivider, but he told me to try putting weight on it... from then on... perfectly level.

agreed. I _carefully_ bled with weight on it and it seems better.

World Champion Miata Parts Sales.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #51
FUNFER2

Send a message via Yahoo to FUNFER2

Question- I now the pad is 3", I did not see on the site if they make any other pads that are taller, like 5" or 6". I'm sure I've seen them, just can't find any information.
FUNFER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #52
FUNFER2

Send a message via Yahoo to FUNFER2

I used ATF and is thinner and does not tend to bubble like oil. The extra PSI handling for hydraulics is better also. Plus, it's way cheaper.

The only problem I've had is two of the four quick couplers went bad after two uses and their sending me new one's and should be here tomorrow.

I asked this question before. The arm pads that came with the unit are 3" in height, I'm sure they have like 5"-6" but could not find them on the site. Any ideas ?
FUNFER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #53
kbs2244

I don't yet have a lift.
Still dreaming and still useing a long handle jack.
But at least I don't have to lift my tires 4 feet off the floor.
Has anybody designed a tire caddy that you can put the tire on, at height, while working and then roll around?
I am thinking something a little nicer than a 55 gal drum on casters.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #54
LWW

I suspect you could easily modify a cheap HF 2 wheel dolly or hand truck and weld a couple of arms and add some gussets and you've got a simple 4' tire/wheel dolly.

It's going to be top heavy, so you could add some additional weight to the bottom of the dolly or add some legs to the bottom to make the base bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs2244 View Post
Has anybody designed a tire caddy that you can put the tire on, at height, while working and then roll around? I am thinking something a little nicer than a 55 gal drum on casters.
LWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:49 PM   #55
Gasket

I finished my install today. I probably have ~8 hours total time for the install including determining the location of the columns.

I used 9 quarts of ATF and had no issues bleeding
My anchors reached 100 ft/lb well before the top surface of my concrete.
I had to trim my washers a little bit to clear some of the welds.

I noticed on the female couplers, there is a flow arrow. Since the instructions say to install female couplers to both ends of the hose, one of them has the fluid flowing in the opposite direction as the marking. Would there be an issue with this?
Gasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #56
accord driver

kbs2244 have you though of a motorcycle ATV jack??
accord driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #57
bazar01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs2244 View Post
I don't yet have a lift.
Still dreaming and still useing a long handle jack.
But at least I don't have to lift my tires 4 feet off the floor.
Has anybody designed a tire caddy that you can put the tire on, at height, while working and then roll around?
I am thinking something a little nicer than a 55 gal drum on casters.
I have the lift and thinking about getting a hydraulic lift table for dropping engines, transmissions and suspension parts. You could also use it to lift wheels and tires if you want if you make a simple rack over the table to keep it from rolling.
But don't forget that lifting the wheel is also a good form of exercise once in a while!
bazar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #58
kbs2244

The ATV jack and lift table are good ideas.
But it just occured to me that at auctions I have seen "pallet lifters" that are basicly pull around lift trucks.
Some are battery/hydro and some just use a hand powered winch.
They will lift from the floor to about 6 feet.
That is plenty.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #59
50mercfan

Ok, So I've got 6" floors and a 10' ceiling. Did these two in anticipation of a small lift in the future. This one looks like what i need, except, all i've seen so far is a bunch of Porches', Ryan's Model A coupe, and a Cobra on one of these. Will it lift a '57 chevy, a '50 mercury, and an '02 Silverado?
50mercfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #60
revlover

Have you looked through the customer photos on the MaxJax site? I remember seeing a few trucks in there... could be wrong...

http://www.maxjaxusa.com/images.html