Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
wes

Default dirt floor sucks!

im moving into a new house next week. Its actually quite old, and so is the 1 car detached garage. Its got a dirt floor. Im looking for oppinions on what to do with the floor. I dont wanna work in the dirt. But i dont really wanna pour concrete since im just renting. any alternatives or oppinions?
wes
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower
Default Re: dirt floor sucks!

How about stone? Level the dirt out and pour some stone in.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-02-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
wes

ive been reading about wetting the dirt, then packing pea gravel into it, then maybe laying some sort of rubber mat down on that?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
Der Bugmeister

That might work...or those 24" square patio pavers - you get to take them with you, but probably not as cheap as pea gravel.
Der Bugmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:49 PM   #5
REFLEXX

level it as best as you can the throw down some plywood! Some 3/4" sheets will do nicely with some flat steel straps to connect them. Perhaps a coat of paint to keep stuff from absorbing?

If jackstands are involved, add another small piece of 3/4 ply.
REFLEXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:40 AM   #6
Daves 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes
im moving into a new house next week. Its actually quite old, and so is the 1 car detached garage. Its got a dirt floor. Im looking for oppinions on what to do with the floor. I dont wanna work in the dirt. But i dont really wanna pour concrete since im just renting. any alternatives or oppinions?
wes
Ive heard about rototilling the dirt floor then getting 10 or 15 bags of quickqrete tilling that in to the dirt, then leveling and tamping it down wetting it down and letting it dry. Dave
Daves 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:05 AM   #7
Wardrum
57 Bel Air LS-7

In one of our storage buildings, we leveled out the dirt, compacted it and placed rubber mats used in horse barns on top. We got the ones that are 3/4" thick and they are tough as nails. We drive fork lifts and all kinds of vehicles on them with no apparent wear in 6 years. The mats are available from most equine supply companies.
T-56
Wardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
wes

those rubber mats sound cool. i will see if i can find em in a search. thanks guys
Old 06-03-2006, 09:25 AM   #9
kartracer55

Once you drop hardware on gravel its pretty much impossible to find it in any short amount of time. Trust me on that one

Anything with "Equine" attatched to it is usually obscenely expensive... once again trust me on that one

I think Daves Idea with the quick-crete is pretty slick, but Ive never done it or seen it done. If you can lay down gravel then ply wood it would probably work faily well also, however you will want to tie them together so they dont warp on you.

Just a thought

Jim

http://www.frappr.com/garagejunkies
kartracer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #10
sjsfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardrum
In one of our storage buildings, we leveled out the dirt, compacted it and placed rubber mats used in horse barns on top. We got the ones that are 3/4" thick and they are tough as nails. We drive fork lifts and all kinds of vehicles on them with no apparent wear in 6 years. The mats are available from most equine supply companies.

What Wardrum said...........Find them also at places like Blain's Farm and Fleet or Rurual King in my area. I think they have locking tabs. You'll still want to level the dirt out......
sjsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #11
MXTMOPR

Same deal with my shed when I moved in. The previous owner built a 12x12 concrete block shed and left the floor dirt. GRRRR. I raked it smooth,added some pea gravel and 5/8" plywood. Works just fine for the lawn tractors and such. The only caution I have is to somehow seal the perimeter where the wood meets the walls. Critters have a way of getting under the wood and building homes down there. Then ya have a soft spot in your floor. I used a horizontal 2x4 attached to the wall and caulked the gap where it meets the wood floor. I would not recommend painting the floor, unless you never go in there with wet shoes or tires.
MXTMOPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:52 PM   #12
3/4tonYJ

i liked the idea about "pavers"....

I was thinking about regular small bricks. level and compack the the ground first, then use a layer of sand, and fit the bricks together tight. with some good prep work, i'd guess it could come out pretty good, similar to a patio deck or walkway...............
plus, since your renting, you could take the bricks to your next place if you want.....
3/4tonYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #13
Wile1Coyote

Don't buy the place! 1 Car? Dirt Floor? GONG!
Wile1Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:50 PM   #14
mike944

You said you're renting the place. Have you talked to your landlord? Many landlords are willing to pay for materials, if you supply the labor, for almost any project that will add value to the property.

The famous example is painting, as long as you're not painting it some obscure color, that's an improvement that he will realize next time he goes to rent it. Now a garage floor, might be a different story, since there's some significant $$ involved.
________
silver surfer reviews

Last edited by mike944; 01-20-2011 at 12:11 PM.
mike944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:39 AM   #15
Qtrmeg

Hmm, you would only need about three yards of concrete.
Qtrmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:01 AM   #16
Coach James

For one of our buildings, 8x10,we leveled the ground and covered it with 12"x12" patio pavers. Swept sand in between the cracks and it's been good for going on 20 years now.
Coach
Coach James is offline   Reply With Quote