To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Ideas or product for hanging extention ladder from ceiling

TONE

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 5, 2006
Messages
1,866
Folks..........

Ive been hunting and searching for a product to hang my extention ladder from my garage ceiling.

I'd like it to lay flat up against it, not just hangin from j-hooks. I need it flat against the ceiling or as close to it as I can get.

I dont want it on the walls.

Anyone know of anything?

thanks
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

babzog

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 20, 2009
Messages
2,117
Location
Eastern Ontario, Canada
In my uninsulated shop, I just slip it up between the trusses and block it. If I were to hang it in a finished space, I'd make a couple of brackets, one fixed, the other not. The fixed one would be a basic box, screwed to the ceiling, where I'd slip one end of the ladder. The non-fixed one would receive the ladder (pushed up into it) and then a dowel or some such slipped through a couple of holes (completing the "box") would secure it.
 

D.J.

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
1,116
Location
New Haven IL
Two pulley.s with rope to secure it up flat and tight against the ceiling and a couple pul lys on the wall (where ceiling and wall meet)and a couple cleats on the wall to secure the excess rope
D.J.
________
OXYCONTIN REHAB FORUMS
 
Last edited:

onewaydave

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 28, 2009
Messages
961
Location
Down the road from Dorothy and Toto
Fab up a cup for one end and mount at the spot you want the ladder to start, mount a pulley at the other end. Slip the ladder into the cup, attach a hook to one end of the pulley rope and pull up tight to the ceiling.

Pulley and rope about 3 bucks, wooden cup from shop scrap.

Dave.
 

rieferman

Well-known member
Joined
May 18, 2009
Messages
2,586
Location
Collegeville PA (30 min west of Philly)
Our whole neighborhood (literally 6 guys all copied the same idea) does what larry mentions above (4 j-hooks spaced properly and facing the same direction). Works perfectly, costs almost nothing, and took about 10 minutes to put together.
 

348guy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 7, 2008
Messages
108
Location
Allen Park, MI
Folks..........

Ive been hunting and searching for a product to hang my extention ladder from my garage ceiling.

I'd like it to lay flat up against it, not just hangin from j-hooks. I need it flat against the ceiling or as close to it as I can get.
thanks

What I did was build a small shelf that mounts to the wall above the garage door. This shelf holds the bottom of the legs. Then I put a J-hook in the ceiling that I hook the other end of the ladder to. This makes it very easy to store and retrieve. I'll try to remember to take a picture or 2 and post when I get home. This makes VERY good use of the space between the low ceiling and the opened garage doors.:beer:
 

lawfarm

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
719
Location
NorCal
I did the J hooks plus 2 pulleys setup.

On one wall, I have the J hooks.

Then, in the middle of the ceiling, I have a pulley securely attached to a joist. On the wall opposite the J hooks, I have a second pulley. Below the second pulley, I have a hook to secure the rope to.

I carry the ladder in and set one end on the wall-mounted J hooks. I hook the rope to the ladder, and pull the end attached to the second pulley. It pulls the ladder up to the ceiling...then I tie off the rope on the wall-mounted hook. Ladder gets stored flat against the ceiling. The ceiling is 10' tall, so I can't just reach up and hook it...hence the pulleys. Rope remains tight against ceiling and wall, and out of the way. It works quite well as a system.

Just because I'm a bit AR, I also tie a safety rope from another eye bolt to the ladder, once I have it up, in case a pulley or hook fails.
 

kbs2244

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
14,065
You will never get it dead flat against the celing.
There has to be some rom for play.

But 388guy is pretty close to the way I did it.
You make the shelf about a foot deep so you can push the feet in then pull the ladder out enough to set in the hooks.
If it is a normal 2 part ladder it will clear a normal garage door just fine.

You do need to yse a step ladder to do it this way,
so you need some floor space to store it.
 
Last edited:

Auzivision

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 6, 2009
Messages
252
Location
Hoosier State
It depends on if you are looking for something cheap and functional or eloquent and functional. A couple of these would get you within about 6 inches:

http://www.prohoists.com/1_Bike_Garage_Storage_Lift_bicycle_hoist

They could probably be modified for less and a remarkably easy to install and use. You could easily lengthen the distance between pulleys for better balance. Plus I see them for $7.49 at Harbor Freight all the time.

Two of these are strong enough to hold my 8Ft truck shell (at least momentarily). I use them to balance the load, but leave most of the weight on the electric hoist when storing.

Miscsummer2009011.jpg
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

travisd

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
155
Location
Westminster, MD
At my old townhouse garage, I made a little "shelf" wide enough to support the base of a 12' or so wooden ladder, and used a chain and hook on the other end to support it form the conveniently located garage door opener mount.
 

lawfarm

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
719
Location
NorCal
You will never get it dead flat against the celing.
There has to be some rom for play.

But 388guy is pretty close to the way I did it.
You make the shelf about a foot deep so you can push the feet in then pull the ladder out enough to set in the hooks.
If it is a normal 2 part ladder it will clear a normal garage door just fine.

You do need to yse a step ladder to do it this way,
so you need some floor space to store it.

With the rope/pulley system described above: 1) I don't need a step ladder to store my extension ladder; and, 2) the extension ladder is within 3/4" of the ceiling at both ends.
 
OP
T

TONE

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 5, 2006
Messages
1,866
Hmmmmm, thanks guys.

great idea.

i think what 348 did is similair to what i need.

thanks again!
 

ProGun3400

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 16, 2008
Messages
460
Location
Will County, Illinois
I was looking for the same to hang my extension ladder. The last trip to Menards I noticed a set of these brackets. It was a bracket that would allow the ladder to be held up flat against the ceiling. I'll be making a trip there either tomorrow or Saturday. I'll get the skew number when I'm there.
 
Last edited:

7echo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 16, 2008
Messages
433
Location
coastal Georgia
Look at the Jet Rack. Guys use them in work vans, but they will mount on most any ceiling. Check out this vid...

 

NUTTSGT

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
51,806
Location
Northern Central Ohio
Some good ideas in here. I have mine standing up in my garage in the corner. I guess I never thought about hanging them from the ceiling.
 

gahrajmahal

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
2,653
Location
Cincinnati, Ohio
I had some leftover 3/4 copper pipe. Bought a bag of 90deg fittings and soldered together two U shaped brackets. Where the pipe ends meet the ceiling are 90 deg fittings with a hole drilled through the non-soldered end. 1/4" Lag bolts bolt into the studs. I also hang my jackets and coveralls on the pipe under the ladder. Some of you may worry if the solder joints will hold (mine have). Put some screws / bolts through the fittings.
 

strnge

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 1, 2007
Messages
616
Location
MD
348guy Care to make a youtube video of how you get those ladders down as mentioned above? I seem to agree you need a ladder to get them down.
 
To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!
Top Bottom