Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
chub chub

Default Ingersoll Rand vs. BelAire compressor

I'm looking for a new compressor. I need at least 12 cfm. I'm open to 1 or 2 stage, 60 or 80 gallon. My budget is about $1000. Right now here are my 2 leading contenders...

Ingersoll Rand on sale...
http://www.everyaircompressor.com/In...5-IRC3694.html
My concern is that I have been reading quite a bit of negative feedback about the quality of NEW IR products and customer service. Also, this is over my budget and would require me waiting awhile before I could afford to get it wired.

BelAire...
http://www.tooltopia.com/belaire-216v.aspx
My concern is that I don't know a lot about the company. Also I'm not sure if it has cast iron sleeves or if it's solid cast iron. I've read both.

I'm also open to other suggestions. I want the most bang for the buck. Eaton, Quincy and Saylor Beall are all out of my range. I want new because I want the warranty.
Thanks for any help,
scott

Last edited by chub chub; 01-02-2010 at 07:56 PM.
chub chub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
chub chub

Default Re: Ingersoll Rand vs. BelAire compressor

I just read on the BelAire website that they have "solid cast iron cylinders"
I am also considering the smaller BelAire 6061v...

http://www.tooltopia.com/belaire-6061v.aspx
How does BelAire rate for quality and longevity? Is there a quality difference between the 2 BelAires I've posted, or simply the 2 stage psi, and cfm difference?

I'm not really considering the smaller IR ss5L5 because of bad reviews.
-scott
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Charles (in GA)

Or you can pay too much and advertise it for more, with a horribly misspelled name, like this Craig's List moron did.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/tls/1532945358.html

Hardly used Bel Fire air comperessor. *80 gallons *7.5 horse power *Mint condition *If you have any questions, please call (404) 769-4148.

Whats a Bel Fire air?

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
DHS

I believe the same company that make US General for Harbor Frieght makes Belaire Compressors.
DHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
chub chub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles (in GA) View Post

Whats a Bel Fire air?

Charles
Ah, the lesser known secret Bel Fire air!
That compressor is actually higher hp and bigger tank and goes for about $1900 new.
-
Old 01-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHS View Post
I believe the same company that make US General for Harbor Frieght makes Belaire Compressors.
You may be right. ABAC was the manufacturer. I find no mention of that company anymore on the BelAire site - they totally redesigned it. It's mysteriously not listed on their tanks anymore.

I wonder if they switched the manufacturer or something.

Someone on here used to haul their stuff too, maybe krooser, I cannot remember, so it used to be made in the USA. No mention of made in the USA on their site.

http://www.abac.co.uk/links.htm

US website listed in above link is dead.

I used to hear good things about BelAire, but I don't know anyone who has one on here anymore...
Old 01-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chub chub View Post
How does BelAire rate for quality and longevity? Is there a quality difference between the 2 BelAires I've posted, or simply the 2 stage psi, and cfm difference?
1 yr vs. 2 yr warranty
3.5 HP vs. 5 HP
135 psi vs. 165 psi
more expensive model also allows for plug n' play accessories like the aftercooler.

plus the stuff you mentioned...
Old 01-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
Mickey_D

For a little bit more you can get an entry level Quincy with a Baldor motor. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0475_200350475 . After having one Ingersoll and having almost everything but the tank replaced, there is no way I would buy another.
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
chub chub

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
1 yr vs. 2 yr warranty
3.5 HP vs. 5 HP
135 psi vs. 165 psi
more expensive model also allows for plug n' play accessories like the aftercooler.

plus the stuff you mentioned...
Yeah, the smaller one is probably just enough for me to get by on. I plan on spending a lot of time using a 6" da sander. However, if there is a substantial upgrade in quality and longevity in one of the larger compressors, I may suck it up and spend the extra money.

Finding a good compressor is really frustrating! Every time I pick one out, I come across somthing bad about the model or company. I thought I would be able to find a really good one for around $800. Now it looks like quality compressors start around $1,200.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
chub chub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
For a little bit more you can get an entry level Quincy with a Baldor motor. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0475_200350475 . After having one Ingersoll and having almost everything but the tank replaced, there is no way I would buy another.
Problem is... my budget is really about $1000. Quincy starts about $1300, then I still need starter kit (for extra waranty), water trap, hose, da sander and 220volt wired into my garage. I'm willing to go a little over budget, but I can't go that far.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:48 AM   #11
chub chub

I started considering a Quincy. This is the only model I could afford if I find it on sale...
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0475_200350475
Is this worth the extra money? It is their bottom of the line.

Also, I discovered that Quincy has been SOLD to a company in Sweden!...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/atl...mln-2009-12-18

How will this affect things?
Old 01-03-2010, 01:59 AM   #12
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chub chub View Post
I started considering a Quincy. This is the only model I could afford if I find it on sale...
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0475_200350475
Is this worth the extra money? It is their bottom of the line.

Also, I discovered that Quincy has been SOLD to a company in Sweden!...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/atl...mln-2009-12-18

How will this affect things?
Wow. Didn't know that. Did some reading and looks like Atlas Copco buys up...everything!

Atlas Copco has been around for years and is another high quality compressor manufacturer. I'm not sure what their business plans are for Quincy. Let's hope they keep it as is.

I thought they bought another compressor company as well recently, but I may be thinking of something else...
Old 01-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
Matt M, PA

While I can;t comment on the BeAire, I can comment on a friend's IR compressors.

He does film to video transfers and requires compressed, cooled air for machine operation. (Quad tape video heads spin on air, telecines need air) I should also note that his compressor lives in a heated building.

Anyhow, he decides to upgrade from his Speedaire that's been running for years and replace it with on of the new "quiet" IR models. (Memory fails me somewhat, but it was a new very expensive design. I want to say rotary screw) The IR breaks down on a regular basis and after dealing with bad service, and no real fix....he has them take this unit out an put in a standard compressor. Well, that unit developed a problem last week between the cooling unit and the compressor and he is back running on the old Speedaire.

I have some IR air tools that have worked great with no issues.....but after my friend's issues with his IR compressors...I'd avoid them.
Matt M, PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
Mickey_D

Gardner Denver bought Champion in 1998 primarily for their sales channel. GD has their own line that is very well made, but they only sold into the industrial market. I have a 1957 Gardner Denver pump on the shelf (awaiting a rebuild) that is a work of art and has some of the prettiest castings that I have seen.

Back on the OP's question, I was in his shoes recently and I bought a rebuilt Champion R15 from a compressor shop that was about a third the cost of a new one. Runs great, makes lots of air and I am happy with it. It would have easily fit in your budget.
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #15
logical

I really like my Eaton. I had one done in a horizontal design to fit under a wall cabinet...and their 5HP single stage, 3 cyl is currently under a grand.
http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catal...747/172983.htm

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #16
mikeatrpi

Wow that looks really nice! Great job on the install! Any other information you can share about the compressor or your setup would be appreciated. I'm in the same decision crisis as the OP.
mikeatrpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #17
930dreamer
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
Gardner Denver bought Champion in 1998 primarily for their sales channel. GD has their own line that is very well made, but they only sold into the industrial market. I have a 1957 Gardner Denver pump on the shelf (awaiting a rebuild) that is a work of art and has some of the prettiest castings that I have seen.

Back on the OP's question, I was in his shoes recently and I bought a rebuilt Champion R15 from a compressor shop that was about a third the cost of a new one. Runs great, makes lots of air and I am happy with it. It would have easily fit in your budget.
I have two GD ADL 1010's this one is from the 1950's. 930

930dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #18
caper150

I always thought IR was a good name when t came to comperssors, but recently I am starting to wonder about that, I have a 80 gal, 5Hp. The motor fried up on it once already and after some online research found out this is a common problem, so bad they actually have caught on fire.I changed it out, now I am chasing an air leak on the pipe that goes from the pump to the tank and no matter how I do it, it still leaks at the tank end. I am nervous about it running now, if I had the money I would get rid of it and probably replace it with a Quincy.
caper150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #19
chub chub

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
I really like my Eaton. I had one done in a horizontal design to fit under a wall cabinet...and their 5HP single stage, 3 cyl is currently under a grand.
http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catal...747/172983.htm
I've been strongly considering that one as well. Then I think about how I can get the BelAire 2 stage for the same price, or the Eaton 2 stage for a couple hundred more, then I'm pretty much at the price of a Quincy. Where do you draw the line?

Am I better off with a higher end 2 stage model of a lower brand like BelAire? Or am I better off with a bottom of the line single stage Eaton?
Old 01-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #20
benjamming

As was brought up earlier, I would price out a Champion to see where they stand. I would also look at Curtis.
That BelAire pump used to be made in Italy during ABAC mfg days.
benjamming is offline   Reply With Quote