Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Stinger

Default How to Fix Harbor Freight Tool Chest Drawer Detent (Make it Easier to Open)

Many people have noticed the Harbor Freight Tool Chest has a small issue of the drawers being difficult to open because the detent is too tight. This is the tool chest we are talking about:

I decided to figure out the problem and a fix.

Here is a picture of the rubber stopper at the back of the box that each drawer detent slides over when fully closed:

Here is a detent on the rail as delivered (note the end of the rail is bent towards the center:

It appears while they are punching the small detent into the rail, it bends the rail in varying amounts on each drawer. This is what creates the problem with the drawers being difficult to open. To fix it, simply put an adjustable wrench over the rail and bend it "close" to straight, leave just a little bend in the rail:

Fixed Rail:

After you do a few of the drawers you'll get a good idea how much bend to leave to get proper tension.

One additional bonus to this fix is it will decrease wear on the rubber stopper which will allow it to last longer. If it does begin to wear out, simply remove the drawers and add a little more bend to the rails to bring the detent tension back
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
jefferson

Default Re: How to Fix Harbor Freight Tool Chest Drawer Detent (Make it Easier to Open)

Awesome, thanks!
Couldnt be easier.

Last edited by jefferson; 01-28-2010 at 06:55 PM.
jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
mr2autoxr

Default Re: How to Fix Harbor Freight Tool Chest Drawer Detent (Make it Easier to Open)

Thanks Stinger....now I have a good weekend project.

Mike
mr2autoxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
devilphrog

Good Solution!! I was having the same problem with my Craftsman box and I solved it by removing the detents and adding magnets. A little bit costlier but same result
devilphrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
musgofasta

I have the inverse problem - I'm going to use this to make some of mine harder to open because they don't stay closed...

Thanks!
musgofasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
Mr_fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by musgofasta View Post
I have the inverse problem - I'm going to use this to make some of mine harder to open because they don't stay closed...

Thanks!
If they don't stay closed it's probably because the box isn't level....?
Mr_fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_fixit View Post
If they don't stay closed it's probably because the box isn't level....?
Yes and no. While not being level would cause them to slide open, if the detent has sufficient tension they shouldn't open by themselves regardless of the angle.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
tonydanzah

that is pretty cool, but i like that magnet solution that was posted a while back
tonydanzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
drsifu

thanks. seems like a good option.

about that magnet solution...you have a link? will go and try the search right now.

i've just closed the drawers far enough before the detent. unless you are locking the cabinet, any reason you guys are shutting it all the way?

Last edited by drsifu; 01-29-2010 at 02:43 PM.
drsifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsifu View Post
thanks. seems like a good option.

about that magnet solution...you have a link? will go and try the search right now.
I dont have a link, but the main idea was glue some magnets to the inside of the box on the rear piece of metal, glue some magnets to the back of the drawers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magnets.jpg (9.3 KB, 80 views)
jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #11
devilphrog

Here is the Magnetic Box Mod thread.... enjoy!

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=51731
devilphrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:46 AM   #12
Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsifu View Post
i've just closed the drawers far enough before the detent. unless you are locking the cabinet, any reason you guys are shutting it all the way?
That's what I was doing until I modified the detents. I just didn't like it not being the "right" way to do it. I'd just rather fix the problem then band aid it is all.