Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #981
BB767

Default Re: Restored 1930's Auto Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin54 View Post
Thomas...in regards to the old blacksmith vise you have in the other building, I ran across this and thought you might be interested in it. http://www.anvilmag.com/smith/107f2.htm
First off Kevin are you doing OK? Chris tells me a deer decide to remodel your car last week and it was a total write off. Nasty business that!

Now as for the link about blacksmith vices, you are now two for two. What a terrific article and extremely informative. I'll use that information to try and pin down a date of manufacture on mine. It is mounted on an old wood cabinetmakers bench with a wood shoulder vise on the right side. It's all so buried right now I don't think pictures will show much. I did note today again that the rear leg of the vice extends virtually to the floor. Quick view shows it to be complete with no broken parts. Stand by.

The vice is just to the left of the snow sleds and the cabinetmakers bench is behind the plywood and buried under a mountain of "stuff". BTW for Crusty3Dmon, since I know you're taking notes on the thread in anticipation of the quiz at the end....... under that cabinetmakers bench are the last 4 car tires( one under each corner) that haven't been removed from the property yet. I believe that will make a grand total of 282 tires of all types that were left and which I removed from the property.

Thanks again Kevin for thinking of me and on behalf of others here on the thread I am in your debt sir!

Thomas
BB767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #982
donnie

Thomas

If you are really thinking about doing a book, you can do it on line.

http://www.blurb.com/books/1205108

Not cheap but they are really nice books.
donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-15-2010, 12:17 AM   #983
BB767

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
Thomas

If you are really thinking about doing a book, you can do it on line.

http://www.blurb.com/books/1205108

Not cheap but they are really nice books.
Thanks for the link donnie. That looks like a possibility. For everyone who has read this thread though, I can't imagine there would be anything new in the book. It would just be better organized than it turned out here. But then this has it's own certain charm since you never know what will show up day to day. You guys are getting my 'A' material here. I'm not holding anything back, you're getting it all!

Thomas
Old 04-15-2010, 01:21 AM   #984
BB767

Here a follow up to the Walker floor jacks. These models were introduced in 1939 and called Walker Greyhounds. There were 4 of them: Big Boy 4 ton (mine), Shop Boy 3 ton, Tom Boy 2 ton and Shorty 2 ton utility. They were still sold until 1957. Price was $39.60 down and $11.02 per month (don't know for how many months?) This information was courtesy of Jack Sim. I've got a color ad for them coming which I'll post.

I'm continuing to clean the original paint jack but it is slow going. What ever is on it is not coming off easily and I'm trying to preserve the original paint so I can't be very aggressive with it. Patience is a virtue, it's only original once. If I remove original paint it's gone for good.

Other news to update everyone: the industrial shelving that I'm putting in the barn went to the powder coaters today.

Here is some from the same batch that I installed in the lift room back in 2006. I had to cut down one side due to the sloping ceiling. I'll have 5 more units for the barn all 11' (about 4 meters) tall. I had stripped and painted this unit, I didn't know about powder coating them back then!

And this is how it is being put to use at present.

Once completed, they will be installed and all the items in the tool shed, the 2 car garage and the lean to will be transferred into the barn and then those buildings will be removed from the property. At that point the circle driveway can be finished.
As I transfer those items, it will give me a look at material I set aside almost 5 years ago and I'll have a much better idea of exactly what's still there, equipment, NOS car and tractor parts etc. I will post pictures as I move into these areas.

Thomas
Old 04-15-2010, 04:45 AM   #985
CrustyD3mon

Nice update Thom...seems that you have a lot of work to do there....with all that stuff you have stored....

Seems a good challenge transfer all stuff...but maybe you found lots of interesting things there...
CrustyD3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #986
cyclopsblown34

I just found time to revisit this thread. That power hacksaw is way interesting. I've never seen or heard of one previously. I was assuming it was a Portaband on a stand til I saw the pictures...way cool.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #987
BB767

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34 View Post
I just found time to revisit this thread. That power hacksaw is way interesting. I've never seen or heard of one previously. I was assuming it was a Portaband on a stand til I saw the pictures...way cool.
At last a man who appreciates the way cool power hack saw more than the anvil! Clearly someone who values moving parts more than an anvil that, well, ah.......just sits there basically.

Update from today, I removed 2 more tons of scrape metal from the lean to and have about 1 - 1 1/2 tons more that I hope to finish tomorrow.With todays removal that brings the total amount so far to 50 tons of scrap metal that I've removed from the property since fall of 2005. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Thomas
Old 04-16-2010, 12:42 AM   #988
Nuts

Cracks me up to hear someone reference removal of "tons" of scrap in their cleanup.
I know what that's like, I'm at 300 tons at last count, and am nearing enough for the next truck load.
It took dad 40yrs to make the mess, I guess I shouldn't complain if it takes me a few to clean it up.
Just found a large Black Hawk floor jack in the stash today, Thomas you are a bad influence, I need the thing rebuilt now.

Nuts
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:12 AM   #989
ZRX61

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34 View Post
I just hauled one home last Friday (Sawmaster), just finished restoring it today There's a thread about it in the tools forum
ZRX61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #990
BB767

While I was cleaning out more "material " from the lean to I came across this item. Disregard the green paper shredder it's sitting on.

I have no clue.

It appears to be a manifold for something. A tank perhaps?

No data plate or manufactures markings.

Seems to have two carburetors which would hang from either end.

I almost scrapped it with the other steel scrap but thought I'd float it by here first in case someone can use it........ yea right! Otherwise in a couple of weeks it will join all the other priceless relics from here in that great recycling pile in the sky.

Thomas
Old 04-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #991
dreamingmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
I just hauled one home last Friday (Sawmaster), just finished restoring it today There's a thread about it in the tools forum
Link please.
________
vaporizer manufacturer

Last edited by dreamingmuscle; 02-08-2011 at 07:43 PM.
dreamingmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #992
CrustyD3mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingmuscle View Post
Link please.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=60945

@thom ...i don't undestand what is this...can you explain whats the function of this motor?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #993
dreamingmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyD3mon View Post
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=60945

@thom ...i don't undestand what is this...can you explain whats the function of this motor?

Thanks
Thank you plus 10
________
find dispensary

Last edited by dreamingmuscle; 02-08-2011 at 07:44 PM.
dreamingmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:46 PM   #994
BB767

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
There's a tools forum on this site? I haven't had a chance to really look anywhere else. I need to check that out Rick thanks!

Thomas
Old 04-17-2010, 12:03 AM   #995
BB767

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyD3mon View Post

Thanks
Crusty, I don't know what it's for either. The green machine it's sitting on with the electric motor (15 H/P by the way!!!!) is a paper shredder. The grey item pictured I'm hoping someone here will recognize and tell us.

Thomas
Old 04-17-2010, 12:22 AM   #996
Nuts

I'd guess the paper shredder might be for recycling newsprint. That's a big enough fan on the side to blow paper up into a silo. Dunno.

Nuts
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:36 AM   #997
BB767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts View Post
I'd guess the paper shredder might be for recycling newsprint. That's a big enough fan on the side to blow paper up into a silo. Dunno.

Nuts
Nuts, I know what the paper shredder was used for, I just placed the grey painted manifold on the shredder to take a picture of it. Sorry for the confusion. I was only seeking information about the manifold or whatever it is before I scrap it out? It'll turn out to be a one of a kind thing-a-ma-bob that someone here who needed it to complete that life long project they've been working on night and day for the last 6 years of their lives.

BTW you'll be interested to know that another ton of scrap went out today.........

note that round bar in front, it's 2 1/2 " in dia, over 2 ' long and all the bars behind it were solid as well.......

The plate was solid 1/2" material

Those bars are all 1" solid, 5' long.

Just a fraction of what got loaded up and out. Just massive, thick material. He just saved everything. Just don't know what I would ever use it for. On the other hand.........

I came across this nice............

.........little 3" vice that works fine and shows little signs of usage. And there were theses........

....... beefy jacks( saw at lease three more).......

...........that are track jacks. I can see a need for these. But then on the other hand there was........

......this electrical coil.....and theses......

.......flywheel starter gears which I doubt I can use. But then I found a box of.........

.........clamps that with a little clean up and some needing repair will be good to go. It all pales to what you've been cleaning up though.I'm just at a paltry 51 tons so far. Not even in the same league as you.

Thomas
Old 04-17-2010, 01:45 AM   #998
CRTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts View Post
Cracks me up to hear someone reference removal of "tons" of scrap in their cleanup.
I know what that's like, I'm at 300 tons at last count, and am nearing enough for the next truck load.
It took dad 40yrs to make the mess, I guess I shouldn't complain if it takes me a few to clean it up.
Just found a large Black Hawk floor jack in the stash today, Thomas you are a bad influence, I need the thing rebuilt now.

Nuts
Which model Blackhawk? Please post some pics. It's always interesting to see these old jacks, no matter what the condition is. I recently posted my new to me old Blackhawk floor jack here:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ght=show+jacks

It's turning out to be pretty interesting project for me and my 10 year old son.
CRTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:23 AM   #999
CrustyD3mon

Yes thom...i was talking about the grey thing in the paper shredeer....still don't undestantd for what it is for....like you say anone maybe know and tell us...

A few days when i was saying that you will found some interesting things during the cleaning... here it is...a nice vise....

You already have here in the forum a nice sticky about Vises and Vise restores.... check it out:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...=vises&page=20

Old 04-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #1000
JHunter

It looks like there's some numbers/data cast into in both of these pictures. The first pic it looks like a date code (by the style of the casting anyway) and the other data in the second one looks like a part number.
JHunter is offline   Reply With Quote