Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
RPH

Default DIY Pole Barns, anybody work with them?

There based in NW Ohio, lost a machine shed about a month ago and need to replace it. Prices look good and they talk good but would like real experiences with them. Any help would be appreciated.
RPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
ebstein

Default Re: DIY Pole Barns, anybody work with them?

I personally havent done one. but the trickiest thing that I'd probably need someone to do for me is setting the posts....other than that, it's all basic really....
ebstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
RPH

I know what you mean. Putting the building up is no big deal once the posts are set. And I do plan on having that done. But more of a concern is how are they to work with. They only sell the kit dropped at your site. Any problems with the kit and / or materials is what I am concerned with and the resolution to it. Was the kit complete ? If not how quickly was it resolved. Just wondering on this wide web we travel.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:20 AM   #4
xsponge

Posts are not as big a problem as you think, also pretty basic. All ya gotta do is get the corner posts set dead on (or as close to as possible). You get them set correctly and the others will follow no problem. What style of posts are you using laminate or solid?
xsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
RPH

Kit includes solid posts ( 4x6" ). With me it's more of a time thing. I travel a lot for work. If I get the posts and trusses set the rest is straight forward from that point.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
gabeancounter

I think you can save much more purchasing direct from each vendor. Get you trusses from a local manufacturer, metal, lumber, etc. I would think the price difference would be about half - 2/3 the labor cost. Then just pay someone who does it day after day. Talk with you metal manufacturer about looking for an installer.

I have been looking at a pole barn (without sides). 24x36 kit of materials from the local package places is $2600. I can purchase seperate $1800. Just a thought.
gabeancounter is offline   Reply With Quote