Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #21
coljar

Default Re: Re-Purposed Machine Shop

I have the original aluminum bonnet, but the other parts are steel. I'm missing the correct grab bar, too. I think we are in about the same condition on the car. The bottom of my dog legs are going to get new metal welded in, but most of my sheet metal on the outside is good. I've already have the new floor pans, with one welded in place. The other is fitted and ready for welding. It's been on hold during the new garage build, which I will start a thread about it soon.

Last edited by coljar; 02-05-2013 at 07:10 PM.
coljar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #22
Bib Overalls

That is a very nice set up. Next time I visit my brother in Williamsburg we will slip over and talk hot rods.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratpoison/

When I am dead and gone a new owner will walk into my 99% completed dream shop and say "this place has potential."
Bib Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #23
hoyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by coljar View Post
hoyt, I have TS 582 L.
I found a few more of the TR2.

Last edited by hoyt; 05-09-2017 at 03:41 PM.
hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #24
hoyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bib Overalls View Post
That is a very nice set up. Next time I visit my brother in Williamsburg we will slip over and talk hot rods.
You are welcome any time.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #25
hoyt

I noticed from the other photos that my front door looked like crap, so a few rattle cans of Hunter Green took care of that. . . kinda. The door is in pretty bad shape and I plan on replacing it. It had not been opened since the early 70s until I opened it when I moved in.

I noticed that the door is 2-1/2" shorter than standard and you can see that the hinges have been re-located and welded in their new location. I'd appreciate any advice on how to deal with this when it comes time to replace the door.

Last edited by hoyt; 04-19-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #26
hoyt

There is no exterior lighting for the building, the tenant not seeming to care too much about security despite several burglaries over the years. These are lights that had been purchased for the family business but were unusable there. (Note to self: Do not listen to "lighting consultants".) I've outfitted each with a photo-cell. The interior wiring is already in place; they'll get put up when I get some help lined up.

UPDATE: 8/22/2014 Those lights finally got installed.

Last edited by hoyt; 04-19-2016 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typos, UPDATE
Old 02-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #27
hoyt

Today, I'm cleaning up this rat's nest of wiring, a good portion of which is old work that was never removed.

Somebody didn't like replacing box covers. Bad, bad.

Last edited by hoyt; 04-19-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #28
ratdoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt View Post
Today, I'm cleaning up this rat's nest of wiring, a good portion of which is old work that was never removed.

Somebody didn't like replacing box covers. Bad, bad.
Looks better than the wiring at my old house. When I tore the ceiling down there were several connections made outside of the boxes. Wire nuts (and electrical tape if I was lucky)
Old 02-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #29
MPOWERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt View Post
I noticed from the other photos that my front door looked like crap, so a few rattle cans of Hunter Green took care of that. . . kinda. The door is in pretty bad shape and I plan on replacing it. It had not been opened since the early 70s until I opened it when I moved in.

I noticed that the door is 2-1/2" shorter than standard and you can see that the hinges have been re-located and welded in their new location. I'd appreciate any advice on how to deal with this when it comes time to replace the door.
Am I seeing this right? Are the hinge bolts located on the OUTSIDE of the door? Doesn't that make it very easy to pop the hinge bolts and remove the door to break in?
MPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #30
hoyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWERD View Post
Am I seeing this right? Are the hinge bolts located on the OUTSIDE of the door? Doesn't that make it very easy to pop the hinge bolts and remove the door to break in?
Local building code requires that the only exit door available open outward. The hinge pins don't appear to be designed to be removed without a gas axe.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #31
hoyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdoggy View Post
Looks better than the wiring at my old house. When I tore the ceiling down there were several connections made outside of the boxes. Wire nuts (and electrical tape if I was lucky)
I've worked on cars with wire nuts and electrical tape. One mess like that was squeezed with a zip tie to maintain a viable connection. You read that correctly.

Not only have I found connections in the shop made outside of any junction box, but there are four 120V circuits with no neutral, relying only on the conduit and an occasional ground wire to complete the circuit and in a few circuits, the ground wire looks like it is 16 gauge, all connected to 20-amp breakers! It's been de-energized since I moved in, but all that wiring is being removed ASAP.

Forty years without a fire for this wiring farkup must be some kind of record.

Last edited by hoyt; 05-30-2014 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #32
hoyt

February was not a good month to work in the garage. Besides being too damn cold, I pulled some muscles in my right arm and have a bad left shoulder to boot, so it was more productive to stay at home. That said, I needed some storage shelves to hold some items for my youngest daughter who moved to a smaller place and could not afford to rent a storage unit. It was nice of my oldest daughter to volunteer to help me and I enjoyed spending the time with her.

The shelves went in the infamous "dark room". They are 12 feet long, 2 feet deep and the top shelf is 8 feet high. Counting the floor under them, that yields nearly 100 square feet of storage. Yes, the top self is high, but she has several large bulky lightweight items that will be stored there.

Two happy carpenters. She works on cars also; we built a coral-colored '72 VW for her 16th birthday.

Next up is a shorter 12-footer of similar design in another room so I can move some things out of my garage at home -- maybe the car will fit in it again.

Last edited by hoyt; 05-09-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #33
Omphaloskeptic

Man-o-man, you've got s-s-s-c-h-i-t-t-u-f-f-f-f; I can relate! Where, oh where, did you have this 'collection' before you moved to this 3000 sq. ft. play space? Kudos to you on the ongoing cleanup. It looks like you are getting it modernized and organized at the same time; quite a balancing act!

Since your first car was a TR3, you or your Mom should have some pics of you with your first car floating around somewhere. For the sake of both 'wasted youth' nostalgia and 'mid-life-crisis' motivational inspiration, might I suggest you get a couple of those pics blown up, framed, and prominently hung in your new office? If nothing else, they'll give your girls something to giggle about as they ask the inevitable question - "Dad, is that YOU?" and the following statement - "Gee Dad, what happened to you?". This is where you turn to them grinning and state "What happened to me?... DAUGHTERS HAPPENED TO ME!!!"
Omphaloskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #34
pop pop

Nice place. Wish something like that would show up in Richmond!
pop pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #35
hoyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omphaloskeptic View Post
Man-o-man, you've got s-s-s-c-h-i-t-t-u-f-f-f-f; I can relate! Where, oh where, did you have this 'collection' before you moved to this 3000 sq. ft. play space?
Started out with my two-car garage. Then I added stuff from my dad's garage when he passed away and my father-in-law's garage when he passed away. Then a car and it's parts stored in my mom's garage.Then stuff from a closed radiator shop I had with a nephew, all moved in to a 2000 sq. ft. space plus two storage units. Now I'm consolidating it all here, organizing it, selling some things, giving away some things, throwing away some things. finding things I thought I lost years ago.

And having a helluva great time.

Last edited by hoyt; 08-22-2014 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #36
hoyt

Here is the new shelf in the "garage " room. It's 6 feet high, 12 feet long, 2 feet deep. My daughter helped with this one as well; she's pretty decent at carpentry.This room had been paneled and had a suspended ceiling which was removed to enhance the storage space. The lights need to be relocated closer to the ceiling.

The remainder of the room will hold Triumph TR3 parts now housed in a storage unit, saving me about $185 a month. All the shelving in that storage unit is food-service grade Metro wire shelving that was being thrown away by a local restaurant because it had gotten old and rusty and would no longer meet the "health code". It's light, sturdy and strong and car parts don't need any stinking 'health code".

Last edited by hoyt; 04-19-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #37
hoyt

Already starting to fill up the first set of shelves, with a 6-foot ladder for reference.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #38
hoyt

With the help of my buddy Dave (and AAA), I was able to move the '37 Plymouth coupe from my driveway to the shop. The column mounted starter switch appears to have gone bad. Perhaps it was the friends it hung around with . . .

At least it's good for a change to work on the cars instead of the shop.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #39
hoyt

I finally got the rented storage unit emptied out.

It was too much for my buddy Dave.

I put some flakeboard down to store lightweight, bulky things, fenders, doors, front apron, removable hardtops: all Triumph TR3 .

Seats, interior panels, miscellaneous.

I was surprised at how much space was left. Time to add more stuff!

Because I still had more things to store. I'll have to hang the frame from the rafters since I'm tired of stepping over it. (NOTE: Finally got put away August 2014, a year later.)

Anyway, I had to make room for a one-owner, stock 1954 Desoto Firedome that belongs to a high-school friend of mine.

Last edited by hoyt; 05-09-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #40
hoyt

I've continued to work on the Desoto Firedom (parts are problematic) and had some unexpected repairs to the coupe. The power steering pump bolt worked free and loosened the belt and it got chewed up.

Since it's the summer, my seasonal business keeps me busy leaving no time for work on the garage itself. That will have to wait for the Fall.

Last edited by hoyt; 05-09-2017 at 03:50 PM.