Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2013, 09:51 PM   #41
ZRX61

Default Re: Re-Purposed Machine Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWERD View Post
Am I seeing this right? Are the hinge bolts located on the OUTSIDE of the door? Doesn't that make it very easy to pop the hinge bolts and remove the door to break in?
Yup, Local shop owner here locked herself out of her shop. I went over there with a punch & hammer, knocked the pins out, removed the door so she could get the key, reinstalled door & then locked it again from the inside while she cleaned my pipework for helping her out

Tool Afflictionardo

I'd rather have an "airplane guy" work on my keyboard than have a "keyboard guy" work on my airplane.
ZRX61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #42
hoyt

The 54 Desoto finally left the shop in mid-September. It's being sent to long-term storage.

Which is just as well since the coupe broke again. Those worthless Seville rear brakes needed adjusting and the rear ladder bar broke. I'm waiting on some special rod to weld the chrome-moly tubing.

Once repaired, I might sell it. I hate to see it go after 10 years, but I need the money to finish the Auburn. (Note: Never sold the car. Only a few interested buyers and a they just wanted to steal it.)

Last edited by hoyt; 05-09-2017 at 03:56 PM.
hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #43
hoyt

I finally got around to patching a hole in the floor caused by the previous tenant allowing battery acid to leak from stored batteries. I have just been walking around the crater, but it's right next to the lift and my son-in-law is coming next weekend to work on my granddaughter's car, so a little housekeeping was in order.

I'm not going to be piping the air compressor by then, so he'll have to rough it with the portable unit.

Note that I also fabricated a bracket to hang the fire extinguisher (the bottom of which is just visible in the shot), one of four in the shop. I've been on the lookout for a fire-rated storage cabinet to store lacquer thinner and other combustibles in.

Last edited by hoyt; 04-19-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #44
hoyt

The Desoto was back in the shop for a while and is now running well and parked back in the owner's parking garage. One place wanted $200 a month for storage.

I have the coupe back in to fix some sticky door latches and a few loose wires.

I also finished work on a new shop truck purchased non-running from a police auction. Among other things, I had to fix a hole in the driver's floor pan and repair the seat springs and took the opportunity to add a little sound insulation before the new carpet went in. My oldest daughter helped me with some of the repairs just because she's a good daughter.

Last edited by hoyt; 05-09-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #45
hoyt

I used some salvaged lumber to build some more storage shelves for the shop.

BTW, that door is sealed and never used. I should have filled the hole with concrete block when I had the chance.

About 72 sq. feet of additional storage is always welcome.

Between fixing the cars that keep breaking and my seasonal business, I'm still trying to get the shop more organized. I can see a need to get the air compressor installed and piped. The existing piping is not done "right", but it will suffice util I get the time and money to re-do it.

Here are some links to information I have found useful.
Keeping Your Compressor Quiet
What Pipe to Use for Your Shop's Compressed Air?
The Science Behind Piping Your Air Compressor
Keeping You Air Dry

Last edited by hoyt; 05-09-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #46
rubberrodder

I liked the aerial shot from 1967. Do you have a currant picture? Google earth perhaps? The shop looks to be amazing. That '54 Desoto is sweet. I like the Plymouth coupe too. My dad had a Plymouth PICK-UP the same year. It ended up with coupe sheet metal on it as the original farm truck stuff lost several arguments with a bull.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #47
Honest Bob

Nice progress!
Honest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:36 PM   #48
hoyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberrodder View Post
I liked the aerial shot from 1967. Do you have a currant picture? Google earth perhaps? The shop looks to be amazing. That '54 Desoto is sweet.
Since I only use Linux and not Microsoft Windows, using Google Earth is problematic since they don't support Linux any more. If do I get access to it, I'll add a more recent image. It looks much different 50 years later.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm having lots of fun with the shop.

" ... arguments with a bull." LOL

Last edited by hoyt; 05-30-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:08 PM   #49
hoyt

Default Who Can't Use More Storage

I salvaged some plywood and 2x4's and thought I would add additional shelving and work benches.

Here is a re-cycled 6' kitchen counter on top of some filing cabinets; it makes a nice desk. There's a spacer under the right-hand end because the floor slopes and a level desk is usually thought to be superior to one that your pencils and coffee fall off of.

It looks short because of the perspective and clutter, but past the 6-foot "desk" in the foreground is 14 feet of workbench. Also, you can see part of the 4'x44' wall of pegboard that comes in handy.

Then the bench turns left and runs for 12 feet. As you can see, it is already accumulating things after being less than 24 hours old. I need to add some electrical outlets and pegboard for tools. I have almost 80 linear feet of 2-foot deep workbenches in the shop (it is 3,000 sq. feet, remember, and you can never have enough workbenches/clutter holders). You can see that 5-gallon buckets are a preferred "storage" solution.

This is the right-hand side of the shelf I showed the beginnings of in a previous post. The top shelf is 8 feet high. Also visible is part of my collection of Marx "Big Red" T-buckets. The very top shelf (at 8 feet high) is dedicated to storing some of my granddaughter's toys until the soon-to-arrive great-granddaughter arrives and can use them.

I added a "helper" shelf when I realized that I had so many spray cans when I began to consolidate them; they would just waste a "normal" 30"-height shelf. This one is made from 1x2 stock, but I think 2x2 would be better. It's 6 feet long to fit between two of the the posts of the 12-foot shelf. I'll do a few more of these in the other shelves to store short items.

I have enough salvaged material left now for a battery charging station. In the first photo, you can just see the corner of the temporary table that holds the chargers; the batteries sit on a pallet on the floor so they don't come in contact with concrete. I'll post pictures of that when I get it built.

I am waiting for some car parts to be delivered and had the shelving material on hand, so I thought now would be a good time to get this stuff built until I can get back to wrenching.

Last edited by hoyt; 04-19-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #50
hoyt

Default Shelf Construction Techniques

My construction techniques are simple. I've been building them for so long, I have forgotten where I learned to do it this way.

Shelf/bench tops are sheets of 4'x8' plywood ripped into two 2'x'8 pieces. I use what I can salvage (usually 3/8-1/2"), but I prefer 3/4" thickness for heavy-duty shelves and work benches. Bench/shelf frames are made of 2x4s in a ladder frame in lengths of 4, 8 or 12 feet as needed. Waste is minimal.

Alternatively, the sheet of plywood is ripped into three 18" pieces. For lighter-duty helves, I use thinner plywood and 2x3s. Vertical spacing is adjusted for whatever I plan to put on them.

Everything is fastened using 2-1/2" drywall screws. Most of the strength needed from them is in shear and two per joint seems adequate. I've had to re-locate the shop before and being able to easily disassemble the shelves and re-install them elsewhere is a benefit and $$$-saver.

There are no back legs; the 2x4 frame is attached directly to the wall using drywall screws or nails shot with a Duo-Fast gun as appropriate. The legs are double 2x4s; construction differs slightly between shelves and workbenches. I have in past years made a few stand-alone 8-foot work benches with front and back legs and a lower shelf using the same techniques.

I'll post additional details if anybody wants, but they are simply constructed and easy to replicate and can be built and installed by a single person.

Last edited by hoyt; 05-09-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:26 PM   #51
hoyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
Nice progress!
Thanks, I own a seasonal summertime business, so summer is usually when I get nothing done and just drive the cars. This past winter was just too damn cold to get much done, however, so little work on the shop and less on the hotrods. None are currently running and I'm waiting on repair parts.I spent the winter working on the shop truck -- which now has a leak in the fuel tank . . . grrrr. (UPDATE: 8/22 Finally fixed; it was a wrong-size O-ring used when the pump was replaced by a previous owner.)

Last edited by hoyt; 05-09-2017 at 04:11 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 05-28-2014, 11:41 PM   #52
hoyt

Default Sharing is Caring

With so much space, I can share some with my wife, who has some kind of silk flower project going on (I don't ask for fear of being recruited). She's occupying the space of roughly a one-car garage.

It's only fair to share. After all, she puts up with and even encourages this garage.

Last edited by hoyt; 04-20-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:34 AM   #53
metalhead140

Great space and taste in cars! I actually really like that it's all segmented into rooms for different purposes, and you've done a great job rejuvenating the old buildings. I look forward to watching your progress.

Because life's too short to drive boring cars!
metalhead140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:16 AM   #54
Canadian Charlie
Banned

Great looking shop, what a pleasure to work in
Canadian Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #55
hoyt

Default A New Broom Sweeps Clean

My wife is "visiting" the shop to work on a silk flower project of hers. This sink had not been cleaned in 8 years (really, what's the point?) But it sparkles now!

BTW, I installed a brand-new toilet when I moved in and keep that clean, so she's very happy with that. She's a little upset that the restroom lacks a door.

Last edited by hoyt; 04-19-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #56
hoyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead140 View Post
Great space and taste in cars! I actually really like that it's all segmented into rooms for different purposes, and you've done a great job rejuvenating the old buildings. I look forward to watching your progress.
Thanks. When I first moved in, I was concerned about it being all chopped up, but my buddy said "You can put up so much pegboard, you'll never fill it up!" Challenge accepted.

Last edited by hoyt; 05-30-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #57
hoyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Charlie View Post
Great looking shop, what a pleasure to work in
It is, but it's still disorganized so I am constantly moving things around and still can't find things easily. I hate searching for 30 minutes for something I know I had ... right ... here ... comma ... dammit ...

Just like the cars, it's a work in progress; never done, always fun. Otherwise, what's the point?

Last edited by hoyt; 05-29-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:03 PM   #58
hoyt

Default Battery Workbench

Here's the battery workbench, not quite as big as I wanted, but it used up all the remaining material I had (the top shelf was re-cycled from an earlier project; it would have been a shame not to use it).

Now it's time tomorrow to re-organize stuff and unpack some boxes, maybe throw some stuff away (but probably not). A friend is coming by on Saturday to help me work on the radiator fan issue; the part should be here by then. If not, we can always find something else to do.

Last edited by hoyt; 05-09-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #59
hoyt

Default Finished Workbenches

A panoramic view of the area of the shop where I just installed all the new workbenches and straightened things up.

http://tsra-va.com/gj/panorama-01.jpg
http://tsra-va.com/gj/panorama-02.jpg
http://tsra-va.com/gj/panorama-03.jpg

For whatever reason, the panorama images will not display, but if you want to, copy and paste them into a new browser window should display them.

Last edited by hoyt; 05-09-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #60
hoyt

Not too much work on the shop since it's summertime and my actual livelihood takes up most of my time.

I did have some downtime, however, and my son-in-law Matt helped bead-blast some tools that were rusting. After blasting, we wiped them with Kroil and re-lined the toolbox with that liner that inhibits corrosion.

And I painted some more of the red stripe in the "red room". I need to put the tool-board back up and hang up my metal-working tools.

Last edited by hoyt; 04-19-2016 at 03:09 PM.