Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
50mercfan

Default And so,,,,,it begins!

After a month of codes department delays and three weeks of contractor delays, the contractor finally shows up yesterday. this was going to be a 30X30. but, after the codes department got finished deciding what was best for me. it's now going to be a 27X30. it's going to be stick built, 10ft walls, fully insulated, two 9x8 garage doors and a 3.0 man door. it's going to be connected to the old garage (20X20) with a man door connecting the two together.

the plan is to keep two of my "good" old cars in the small one and the constant project car (50 mercury) in the big one with plenty of room to work. should be great when completed.

50mercfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
ddawg16

Default Re: And so,,,,,it begins!

I feel your frustration and excitement......I'm not far behind you....
I pick up the checked drawings from the engineer on Monday....I would have picked them up yesterday but she 'forgot' to tell me they were ready........"Honey....are you listening?"

Don't stress the building code guys.....believe it or not they are NOT Nazi's and they actually do have your best interest in mind.......the biggest problem I had with the planning and zoning on my garage was that I wanted it right on the property line....not a problem as long as it is only a garage....but I want to use the attic as a art studio for my wife....that makes it not a garage...so it has to be 5' from the property line. So, I am building only a garage.......

Think about your neighbor.....what if he decided to build a 3 story mosque in his back yard? Yep...that is when we like thost building code guys....

I would be interested in hearing what issues come up as you go along.....might save me some hassels when I start mine (20'x25').

"Don't try to lead me to temptation, I know the shortcut."

In Progress...2-Story Addition link
2-Story Garage Complete My Garage Build Link
Home for.....
84 CJ7 - With a 'few' modifications.. My Jeep Build Link
And my wife's art Studio...
and 3 kids with more energy than we have...
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
50mercfan

yea dawg, i know they're not nazi's, but, cutting me three feet short was a let down. but, honestly the way the codes are around here i didn't think they would let me build anything. so, it's all good. i'm zoned R-3 witch means multiple family units. which allowed me to be only 3ft from the line (thats the drip edge not the wall) i live in an old neighborhood, that big two story junk pile on the left in the pics is actually sitting on the line, not the fence. the fence is actually about 3 ft. on me. so that pretty much illustrates your point exactly.

around here (western kentucky) your garage can't be more square footage than your house. by connecting the two buildings with a door that made them one. i was about 100sq ft. over with the two, but, the head man at the codes department came by and actually suggested that maybe I "remeasure" the house. he gave me some pointers on what i might do when remeasuring. well guess what, it came out right where i needed it to. good guy, that fella is. the two ladys that work for him? not so great.

thats in the past and it's time to move on
Old 08-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
Laredo

Very cool addition. Keep us all posted on the progress - pics pics pics!!
Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
jonny01blaze

good looking start
Old 08-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Bib Overalls

Post pictures as you go along. We love pictures.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratpoison/

When I am dead and gone a new owner will walk into my 99% completed dream shop and say "this place has potential."
Bib Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
Bevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bib Overalls View Post
We love pictures.
yes we do...
Bevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #8
drivinhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50mercfan View Post
but, after the codes department got finished deciding what was best for me. it's now going to be a 27X30.
Great build (so far!). You'll enjoy it.

I feel your pain on the code gestapo. Mine got chopped from 32x48 to 32x31, and I don't have a another house within 700 ft of our place (2.45 acre lot in the woods, no neighborhood).

Also, might want to consider 12' walls if you ever decide to put a lift in there. Just try to leave yourself options for the future
drivinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #9
50mercfan

Progress! got the concrete poured today! all 30 yards of it. thats 2/3's more than i had budgeted, but, what are you gonna do? mono-lithic floor. the footers are 2'X2' and floor is 6" think. it's not going anywhere soon.

footers

first bit of concrete

more

Old 08-11-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
50mercfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinhard View Post
Great build (so far!). You'll enjoy it.

I feel your pain on the code gestapo. Mine got chopped from 32x48 to 32x31, and I don't have a another house within 700 ft of our place (2.45 acre lot in the woods, no neighborhood).

Also, might want to consider 12' walls if you ever decide to put a lift in there. Just try to leave yourself options for the future
guess i shouldn't complain about 3 feet then. man you got cut hard. the inspectors came to inspect the footers before the poor today. i get to talking to them and the main guy tells me that if i would have made them two separate buildings i could have built the 30X30 . i don't know what he said after that because it just sounded like blah, blah, blah, blah.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #11
50mercfan

oh yea, interesting side note. the guy with the shovel is the contractors brother (guy in blue out side the form) he is a commercial concrete contractor. he did the concrete work at the National Corvette Museum.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:00 PM   #12
50mercfan

ok, some updates. looking good now.

i'm actually alot farther along than this, but, i've been working on finishing the inside. i'll get more pics soon and post a complete update.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #13
UN4GTBL

can't wait!!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:31 PM   #14
50mercfan

IT'S DONE! actually it's been done for a couple of months. here's some finished pics.

fans, hose reel, lights.

entertainment area. i have one of these speakers in each corner.

dayton g73 electric heater. to answer your question, yes, it will run me out of the garage. i was very suprised and pleased.

25,000 btu a/c. it works great also.

parts shelves i got from a chevy dealer that was shutting down. the adjustability of these things is endless.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #15
50mercfan

still have to finish the yard. i went over the budget some but have no regrets. after waiting for 20 years for my own shop it's well worth it. i knew it would be nice to have my own place but it's even better than i expected.

i went with a 200 amp service a total of 25 outlets including the ceiling and a total of 5 220's. r-13 bats in the walls and r-19 blow in in the ceiling. please do your self a favor, don't scrimp in these two area's. even if something else has to wait. you'll thank yourself later trust me.

with the insulation, that little dayton G73 will heat it up in 15 minutes to comfortable and 25 minutes to warm. that's with the ceiling fans set on low.

those ceiling fans are $35.00 at menards. i'm not real happy with them. they really don't seem to move much air no matter what i do to them.

you may notice i don't garage door openers yet. the recepticles are there though. i just have to get the openers when funds allow. i must admit it's a real pain in the butt.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:20 PM   #16
justinmc

Send a message via AIM to justinmc

Man I love that space.... Is that a set of old magnesium ARE's on the shelf? Very slick!!
justinmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:35 AM   #17
wagonmaster

Great job! Nice Merc! Also...I haven't seen a set of those old Indy 500 Mags like you have up on the wall in over 35 years!!!
Old 12-01-2008, 07:14 AM   #18
50mercfan

thanks fellas, those are indy 500's like wagonmaster pointed out. a buddy of mine bought a 64 impala out of an old garage that these were on. i traded him a set of polished aluminum slot for them. i helped a friends dad build a 55 chevy when i was a kid that had a set of these on it. only set i'd ever seen. when i saw these i had to get them. probably won't ever run them, but i've got them.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:29 AM   #19
porschedude996TT

Looks Good!, what is the siding on the outside?
porschedude996TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #20
50mercfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschedude996TT View Post
Looks Good!, what is the siding on the outside?
just cheap white vinyl from lowes.