Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #5001
hpw

Default Re: The 12-Gauge Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsmytherie View Post
Great video Jack. There were a few details I must have missed when reading through the thread or maybe just forgot about. Storage under the central table riser is one. Very nice.

The lift, though, is definitely still my favorite. So slick.
^5,000th post^...epic thread
I loved your video Jack, well done. Had not seen your ceiling table that is over your car....do you have more details on how that was accomplished?
hpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #5002
Hemihead2
Alliance Member

Great video, Jack. Your vision of what a work space should mean resonated with me. When I bought a property with a 1200 sq. ft detached garage, it was with the same thoughts I had in making it the place to work on projects. No way is mine as nice or well thought out as yours, but your video described my intent perfectly. Thanks for sharing.
Hemihead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-11-2017, 11:20 AM   #5003
Outlawmws

Jack, that Vid explained a LOT! Your philosophy and approach, and some of the logic behind the 12 ga, Garage. Great production and presentation!

I think that vid has the potential to inspire many more to make headway for their own shop, and I include myself in that number!

In fact, I think it has application for almost any work area, whether its car and fab, arts and crafts in a room in your house, or something as basic as the kitchen!

Thanks for making and posting it!

Outlaw's Camp Gear Thread
Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale
- For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)
Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback
"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #5004
larry4406

I too enjoyed the video, very well done and thanks for the quick tour!

Made me stop this morning and rethink the direction my garage is heading. I'm starting to think more about an island like yours and I like how the table saw tucks under the island.
larry4406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #5005
1949 caddyman

Love the video, love your choice in beer. 805 is a good tool! LOL
1949 caddyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:20 PM   #5006
Richard Cranium

Jack, I have been following your builds every since I became a member and have loved each and every one of them. Thank you for inviting us into your garage again. Richard
Old 03-12-2017, 04:15 AM   #5007
MG30

Very nice video. Its a very good teaser for the tread. Here you can understand everything with more detail. Very well condensated an well done.

Congratulations once again.
MG30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #5008
Baer

Thumbs up Re: The 12-Gauge Garage

Utterly fantastic! Thanks for sharing this video with us.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:42 PM   #5009
Joe-R

Hi Jack,

Your new video is great! You have obviously put a lot of thought into your garage and it shows! Your execution is fantastic too.

Joe
Joe-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #5010
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Thanks!

Here's another video -- this one required much less work. It's a no-cost bench for my daughter's kindergarten class. They wanted one to go with the playhouse I brought over there.

http://youtu.be/S-FJvG0CZY4
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #5011
Ipassgas

Nice bench! I think you deserved the thumbs up.

And green to match the . . . playhouse. Yeah, the playhouse.
Ipassgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:32 PM   #5012
Craptain

Beautiful in its simplicity. Well done Jack.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

WWW.TheCaptainCanDoIt.com
Craptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:08 AM   #5013
John S

Hi Jack,

You were kind enough to let me and a couple other friends visit the famous 12-Gauge Garage while we were over from Australia for RR V. I was impressed then, but your video demonstrates beautifully just how clever your set up is. My personal favourite, along with the lift, is the welding table. I love the way all the clamps you could ever need are there at the ready as the table unfolds. Very well thought out and executed.

Cheers, John
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:38 AM   #5014
Grizz1963

And another thumbs up for the bench and materials selection Jack.

Well done !!
Old 03-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #5015
Dan in Pasadena

Hi Jack! Long time no talk.

I apologize for asking an off-the-current-topic question but I've searched and can't find something I THINK I know you posted long ago. 230 pages is a lot to search.

I remember your deck is made from Ipe but for the life of me I can't remember what finish you used? Some kind of Penta type finish. I need to know this product for the bed wood in my '55 Chevy truck. Are you still happy with your deck finish? How frequently does it require you to re-apply?

Now back to the thread before I rudely interrupted. Again, sorry.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:52 PM   #5016
KKRascal

HI Jack: This is my first time here. I've been looking through a lot of the thread to find out how the little blue air conditioner worked. I can't locate that discussion. I'm trying to create my own art space in our 2 car garage in FL. It gets super hot, and beyond insulating the metal door, and getting some type of movable fan, I'm stuck. We have HOA rules here, so nothing can show on the outside of the building. The design concepts are very restricting. So, how did/does the AC work out for you?

And thanks for your great, grammatically correct writing. You made my day as a retired English teacher.

KKRascal
KKRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #5017
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S View Post
Hi Jack,

You were kind enough to let me and a couple other friends visit the famous 12-Gauge Garage while we were over from Australia for RR V. I was impressed then, but your video demonstrates beautifully just how clever your set up is. My personal favourite, along with the lift, is the welding table. I love the way all the clamps you could ever need are there at the ready as the table unfolds. Very well thought out and executed.

Cheers, John
Thanks. Great to hear from you -- now I know you all made it safely back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1963 View Post
And another thumbs up for the bench and materials selection Jack.

Well done !!
Thanks, Grizz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Hi Jack! Long time no talk.

I apologize for asking an off-the-current-topic question but I've searched and can't find something I THINK I know you posted long ago. 230 pages is a lot to search.

I remember your deck is made from Ipe but for the life of me I can't remember what finish you used? Some kind of Penta type finish. I need to know this product for the bed wood in my '55 Chevy truck. Are you still happy with your deck finish? How frequently does it require you to re-apply?

Now back to the thread before I rudely interrupted. Again, sorry.
Hey, Dan. My deck is Cumaru, which is one of Ipe's cousins. I love the wood, but the rosewood oil finish I used, Penofin, is something I'm not thrilled with. To look really good, I'd have to re-apply the stuff every 6 months. I've read about MANY people who are thrilled with Penofin, and many consider it the top of the mountain, when it comes to these hardwood finishes. But then there is a small minority (like me) who get the wood turning gray/flat/ugly too soon. After some additional Internet research, I'm about to try two competitors: Defy and TWP, whose product names escape me now. But they should be easy to find. It might not be helpful for you, with your timeframe, but I'll report back with my results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRascal View Post
HI Jack: This is my first time here. I've been looking through a lot of the thread to find out how the little blue air conditioner worked. I can't locate that discussion. I'm trying to create my own art space in our 2 car garage in FL. It gets super hot, and beyond insulating the metal door, and getting some type of movable fan, I'm stuck. We have HOA rules here, so nothing can show on the outside of the building. The design concepts are very restricting. So, how did/does the AC work out for you?

And thanks for your great, grammatically correct writing. You made my day as a retired English teacher.

KKRascal
Thanks! I'll try to watch my grammar in this reply. I briefly used a portable air conditioning unit, which I rigged with an intake and an exit through the back wall. It worked all right -- but the frustrating thing for me was needing to anticipate when I'd be in the garage and then remembering to turn it on in advance. In the end, I took it out. My plan is to put in a whole-garage (and adjoining office) system sometime in the future.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:27 AM   #5018
John S

[QUOTE=Jack Olsen;6390260]Thanks. Great to hear from you -- now I know you all made it safely back.

Thank you, yes we did. Coming back for Luft 4 soon, so will look out for you and BB2 if you'll be there.
Cheers John
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #5019
billyvray

I know I'm bringing up an old topic, sorry.
But, Jack, how did you secure the fabric around the tubing on your awning?
How's has it held up over the years?

Thanks, take care
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
Yep, that's the Variety building. I'm right off of Miracle Mile, near the Petersen Auto Museum.

Here are three pictures of the completed shade cover. While building it, I kept reassuring my wife that if she didn't like it, it would be no problem to just take it all down. Looking at it from above, it's, uh, well... pretty darn big.

But so far, she likes it.

billyvray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #5020
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

That was the first time I tried securing shade fabric to a frame, and my method was pretty simple. I bought a bunch of 100 'report clips,' the spring-steel clamps you use to hold a thick stack of paper together. I painted them to match the fabric, and counted on the massive redundancy of a clip every 12" or so to resist the force of wind acting on the fabric. It might be because of the aerodynamic placement of the shade right along the adjoining roof line, but the shade structure has been up for seven years now, with no maintenance, and it's still doing fine. In this picture, you can see the clips when I first placed them. I subsequently removed the little handles, leaving just the spring steel.

I used this kind of clip:

On the subsequent shade structures I made, I did something I felt would be more robust. (I figured I'd gotten away with it once; it might not keep working out so well.) The frame above my the deck is 1-1/4" square tubing. I first use hand clamps to position the fabric, and then put a length of 1/2" square tubing over that, sandwiching the fabric between them -- and drilling holes for little stainless-steel screws to compress the two pieces together. Then (and I think this is key), I run a bead of roofing adhesive, so that the edge of the fabric (which I've trimmed off) is 'globbed up' with enough adhesive that it would be just about impossible to pull the fabric through the gap.