Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #21
JCQuick

Default Re: Replacement Windshields - Different Levels of Quality?

well windshields in most cars these day are part of the structural strength of the car and there should be no flexing.
Here in Fla by law if you have full covarage insurance windshield are free no deductibles and they can't raise your rate.

Theres good $$ in glass work if you know hat your doing

Last edited by JCQuick; 03-29-2011 at 09:06 PM.
JCQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #22
Lincolncruiser95

+1 on the cheap glass/cheap installer. Had two brand new windshields with issues in one of the lincolns....one came chipped and rude office staff told me I had done it. Thing was I had them come to the house and replace it inside the garage. Drove the car for the first time two days later and noticed it as soon as the sun hit it when I backed it out. Finally got them to replace it and not a week later got smacked by a small pebble in the trim and CRACK! Went with safelite on my truck and that thing has been smacked..and I mean HARD by rocks, ice, rock salt with only small chips to show. My ford original cracked the first year with just a tiny chip. Just my two cents.
Lincolncruiser95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #23
holdover

I have Liberty Mutual insurance, if you get a chip they will use Safelite to epoxy it, for free and they even come to my house to do it, or you can pay the 100 ded and have it replaced. I have had two fixed and I am very happy with the results, once done it is very hard to see the crack/chip. Both were out of line of sight, if they were in the wiper area i might of had them replaced.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #24
KrisKustomPaint

Just get bullet proof glass.
KrisKustomPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:30 AM   #25
boiler7904

I had one of those slow motion moments in my wife's Escape before Christmas. I saw a small rock get thrown in the air by a truck - watched it come off the tire, fly through the air, and hit the windshield. Nothing I could do in traffic with cars all around me but watch and wait for impact. Luckily it only left a little chip that a local glass shop was able to epoxy for $20.

Got too close to a salt truck a few winters ago with my truck - didn't realize I took a hard piece of salt to bottom edge of the glass until the next morning when I hit a bump in the interstate and had an instant crack the width of the glass. Guy that installed the replacement accidentally got the gasket to cover part of the VIN which made moving from IL to IN and registering the truck a real PITA. Lesson learned, in Indiana if you are a new resident registering a vehicle purchased outside of Indiana and they can't see the VIN in the windshield, you have to go through a local PD to do a vehicle background check which they charge for and is only available M-F during normal business hours (when most people are working).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
Oh, and it's BMWPower. I do have powerful BM's but wouldn't want everyone to know all my secrets.
boiler7904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #26
Steve_P

in the US, the raw glass (sheet) that makes up the windshield is ~ the same as far as strength; there are only a few companies that actually make raw glass because it is a VERY expensive proposition. PPG does make raw glass. Ford had one of the biggest glass plants in the US but that has been spun off and dunno who owns it now or who they supply. Thicker windshield glass (2.0 mm is standard, 2.3 is also used) is actually cheaper than 2.0 because it has a higher yield in production- less scrap loss. Most mfgs use 2.0/2.0 glass because it's lighter and defrosts quicker. Some use 2.3/2.0 for cost savings- the 2.3 is the outside sheet, 2.0 inside. The major difference between OE glass and aftermarket is cosmetic quality- edge chips, scratches, etc, and not strength; some rejected OE glass goes into the aftermarket supply.
Steve_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #27
OccupantRJ

I carry zero deductible comprehensive coverage on all my cars, and when a windshield cracks, another one is installed at the location of my choice. I have 4 cars, and they average 30 to 40 a month on cost of full coverage, with a $50 ded on collision.

It's always easier to find a reason NOT to do something.....

The sum of all your choices, good and bad, become your life.....
OccupantRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #28
91FE

Glass guy came to my office to do the replacement and just left. They gave me the frequent flier discount... $220 + tax. For comparison, I did the Safelite online instant quote and they wanted $340. We'll see how long this one lasts me.
91FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #29
solo20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisKustomPaint View Post
Just get bullet proof glass.
where did you buy it with my luck i need bullet proof glass
solo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #30
rsanter

could be both. I have seen some of the replacement widshields that are actually thinner than the original. if you are doing an early car that uses a windshield gasket they can keep the gasket from properly sealing to the windshield

bob
Old 03-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #31
SuperSocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91FE View Post
Alright, I've just cracked my fourth windshield in my DD, second time in less than a year. It's an Accord with 180K on the clock. I drive a lot... fast... on the highway. Do replacement windshields come in different levels of quality? Am I getting crappy replacements, or just have crappy luck?
Yes. Ask for a better windshield. I had this problem with my one car, they kept installing this lighter windshield... looked great but they broke consistently (broke two in a week, my luck). The installer suggested I try their "sound" enhanced windshields which was the same price and dug one up for me... not only did it weigh much more and felt thicker... but that sucker deflected rocks of scary proportions.

I was told by the installer that some windshields out there are cheap or thinner, hence the weight... he said the sound isolation ones tend to be thicker.
SuperSocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #32
STClurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspit View Post
And I wish someone would break the windshield in my Nissan truck. Its the original glass (1986) and is so sand-pitted you can't see driving to the sun.
talk to your ins agent, that happened to our car (its a '98), the windshield was so scratched and sandblasted you couldn't hardly see through it in the sun (basically the same thing you are saying). the insurance company replaced it with 0 problems, apparently they would rather pay for a windshield than an accident because you couldn't see.
STClurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #33
KrisKustomPaint

There are several vehicle armoring companies in the US, google it if you really want the bullet proof. don't know how much it cost but it might beat the hell out of replacing glass all the time.
KrisKustomPaint is offline   Reply With Quote