To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Small Motorcycle Garage Renovation

Marcmcm

I've been wanting to renovate my small 12x24 motorcycle garage ever since I bought my house. When I got it the only way in and out was through the overhead door. It only had 2 incandescent bulbs on the ceiling and no insulation. It looked pretty much like this except for the 2 8 foot FL lights I added on move-in weekend. Since then I also installed a man door in the side and a window on the far end.

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_8246-1.jpg

Since then I insulated the walls with R-13 and installed an OSB ceiling and blew in approximately R-40 into the attic. I put in a small heater from Northern Tool which easily keeps it at 50 when I'm not out there with little add'l elecrtic usage

Before I drywalled I put in a new 20 amp circuit for some additional receptacles (mainly one for the fridge) and ran speaker wire for 4 speakers, HDMI and an outlet for hanging a TV as well.

This is where I was last week

IMAG0546.jpg

And this is about where I am now. Sanding drywall tomorrow.

IMAG0555.jpg

Hopefully within the next two weeks I'll have everything painted, flooring (haven't decided yet), a new workbench full of cabinets, and a TV/Stereo system. Someday I'll actually be able to work on some motorcycles!

sbhockey

Awesome. I'd feel right at home here. Race bike in a small garage. That's my setup. Two streetbikes and one race bike in a 13x20 for me.

OP
M

Marcmcm

Awesome. I'd feel right at home here. Race bike in a small garage. That's my setup. Two streetbikes and one race bike in a 13x20 for me.

I'm up to 8 bikes now...I had to start storing them in friends garages and my garden shed.

06 R6
11 DRZ-400
09 Zuma 125
06 TTR-50
06 KLR 110
76 CJ360
80 XL200
90 GS500

kippieland

Doesn't the DRZ-400 count? I'm trying to do the best of both worlds. I have an 80 XL200 with no motor I want to put an 06 CRF450 motor into. :eyecrazy:

Good God....a CR450F engine in an old XL200.:scared: Crazy! The motor would cost as much as good used WRF thats street legal. I'm not a fan of the dual sports...they don't seem to either terrains well IMO.

OP
M

Marcmcm

In my state you make an MX bike street legal with a bit of changes....nothing like riding a 450 on the freeway!:drool:

Considerably difficult in PA although I do know a guy that had a street legal CRF50, but he had about $3,000 into a stock 50 just to make it street legal without any fun go fast parts.

OP
M

Marcmcm

Drywall is done, sanded and painted. Underlayment went down tonight for VCT, hopefully this weekend. Still some outlets to install, cut in some in-wall speakers, and workbenches.

IMAG0582.jpg

IMAG0583.jpg

IMAG0584.jpg

OP
M

Marcmcm

Looks great!
All those bikes and no lift?:dunno:

Since my space is small, no lift. After I finish this project I'm going to do a work table that collapses back flat that you can park full size bikes on. It's made from a couple sheets of plywood and slip fit joints.

Outlander

Sweet...my garage (for my ATV and some woodworking) is similar in size. Your project gave me a good idea of what it would look like insulated and finished. Thanks :)

Stick Figure

Makes me wish I would have gotten into bikes rather than cars... I could fit so many more of them in the space I have.

kippieland

WOW doesn't even look like the same place. Great job!

WA just past the Legal dual sport law. Before that we were required to do what PA does. I won't be doing anytime soon. My thought is if I want to ride on the road I will get a bike like yours.....they are meant for the road and haul butt!

OP
M

Marcmcm

Still pretty far from done but you get the idea. Picked up a wi-fi range extender tonight to give me some more reliable Pandora reception. 32" Flat screen should be here tomorrow. I'm thinking of going with a steel top over the 2 sheets of 3/4" MDF as well.

IMG_5437.jpg

IMG_5434.jpg

It's definitely come a long way!

OP
M

Marcmcm

I think this is one of the best remodels on this sit!

Wow...I appreciate that, means a lot. It makes me happy but there are way better garages on this site!

dig the mini fridge, where is the microwave?

No microwave, the house is only about 30 feet away. Fridge is for beers and sodas when the fellas and I are out smoking cigars on Thursday night boys night.

kippieland

Wow...I appreciate that, means a lot. It makes me happy but there are way better garages on this site!

There maybe new and more foo-foo shops, but yours has done the biggest transformation....I think most people would have destroyed and started over. I think shops that are remodel so the most charater and skill. Plus, you get to say "I did that" instead "I paid for that." For motorcycles it perfect.

:beer:

Also, for your counter-top, I am using garage floor epoxy over some OSB (MDF will work also) it cheaper then stainless and just as hard. I am steeling it from here:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120751&page=4

Last edited:

Outlander

What about a work table? I dug up a number of plans across the web, probably will build one for my ATV this summer. Usually have enough scrap wood around to do these kinds of projects. Your back will thank you.

OP
M

Marcmcm

What about a work table? I dug up a number of plans across the web, probably will build one for my ATV this summer. Usually have enough scrap wood around to do these kinds of projects. Your back will thank you.

Plans for one made from two sheets of plywood that breaks down flat when you're not using it since space is at a premium.

hh76

Bury a lift in the floor. Keeps it out of the way, and quick to raise a bike up.

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 742

fitz11

You really should consider a lift. I have one in my 10'X20' along with 3 bikes and wouldnt have it any other way! Looking great by the way!!

MDSPHOTO

Really nice job, you should be proud! I can't wait to have my own motorcycle garage.

shopnut

Bikes are certainly a big part of my life, and having a nice place to wrench on them makes it so much more enjoyable. You should be proud of the progress that you've made on yours :thumbup: What a difference!

You must feel like a cycle surgeon in there now!

Good luck finishing it off!

Top Bottom