Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #21
iadubber

Default Re: Mech33ís garage remodel with in-ground scissor lift in California

This is not a garage, it's a work of art! Great job!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iadubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:53 AM   #22
91 zeee

just read through this...WOW! Very well thought out. It turned out great and the floor looks amazing.... nice!
91 zeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #23
wornoutoldman

Epic garage

The husband who decides to surprise his wife is often very much surprised himself.

Wanna keep track of all your vehicles maintenance? Click here!
wornoutoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #24
GBsnoopy

Very nice. Some great ideas in there. I'm really liking the lighting.
GBsnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:15 AM   #25
Sunbimmer

As said before, epic Fantastic color combination!! And thanks for sharing.

Sunbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:21 AM   #26
audifirst

Wow nice job...
audifirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:25 AM   #27
Aquamoose

I'm sorry for not contributing earlier... I had the same situation with the Liftmaster being close to the ceiling. I solved that by dropping the opener and installing chain & sprockets. It turned out extremely well that it actually looks like a factory option. No holes to cut!

And about your garage,... I'm speechless. It's a fine work of art sir. Thank you for sharing with us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aquamoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #28
tc-cad

Out standing job on the build and thanks for sharing. I like the colors you choose also. Is this a detached garage?

TC-CAD
tc-cad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #29
Crown

Outstanding! the floor looks great ...as well as your cabinets, lights, lift, walls, ceiling and even your trash bin!
Crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #30
horizontallyopposed

Wow. Beautiful job!
horizontallyopposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #31
Mech33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
Fantastic job! How well do you like the scissor lift? It was thinking of the same system. I like how they do not take up open floor space while not in use.
Thanks! I *love* the scissor lift. It is so easy use:
1) Just drive the car over the lifts. They're flush, so even the lowest cars fit no problem.

2) Toss some blocks under the car in the points where you want it to support the lifting. I have some 4" foam blocks that are nice and soft that evenly distribute the load that I bought from here:

3) Flip the switches for the lift and air compressor power.

4) Press "up"!

Knock on wood, but I haven't had a single problem with the lifts since I finished installing them. They've stayed perfectly synchronized with no leaks, and the pump is not too loud. They're the EE-6503 lifts that so many folks have used on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
Incredible!! Very well thought out and I love the floor. That is exactly how I wanted mine originally but I heard polishing was very expensive and went another route.
I figured it would be cost prohibitive as well, but it turned out to cost less than a high-quality epoxy install. The concrete polishing companies have it down to a science. The base price was about $5/sqft out the door, but mine turned out to be ~$6/sqft with the extra depth cuts we made to show more aggregate and the labor needed by hand to smooth the stem walls. That was cheaper than the cost of material alone for most of the tile I was looking at!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uameche View Post
Great work man. I really think this was well thought out and many details turned out great. I just had one question. How is the lighting when the garage door is open at night? It cuts half of the ceiling lights right?
Thanks, trying to design so much of the layout up front got me stuck in analysis paralysis often, but the contractor I worked with was very flexible with all the fine-tuning along the way.

Yeah, with the garage door open I block 4 of the 8 LED troffers. But I rarely have the garage door open, especially at night, so it hasn't been an issue. Honestly the biggest issue caused by that is the finished garage pictures at night with the door open looking a little dim on the front half of the garage!

I'd highly recommend those LED troffers to anyone looking for similar lighting. They're on a dimmer switch and it is just so trick to be able to slide the dimmer up and down and have the light intensity in the garage follow from low all the way up to "flame thrower".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSteps View Post
Stellar! My mental budget tells me that you need a helluva project car now!

-D
Indeed. Most of my work tends to be fitting tuner parts to newer cars for track use (like swapping out suspension components), but I dream of getting a transmission jack one day and doing something like a clutch job on my own in the garage. I'm looking forward to using the oil change catch for the first time soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBsnoopy View Post
Very nice. Some great ideas in there. I'm really liking the lighting.
Thanks. I highly recommend connecting up one set of lights on a motion sensor, and another for bright fill lighting. When I walk in or open the garage door, both the under cabinet lights and the perimeter LED can lights turn on. They're all triggered by two wireless Lutron motion sensor modules that are attached on opposite ends of the beam to try and capture motion throughout the entire garage (didn't want to be annoyed by lights turning off when I was working on one side of the garage behind the car if I had put just one sensor right in the center of the beam).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbimmer View Post
As said before, epic Fantastic color combination!! And thanks for sharing.
Thans! I used this exact color in my last garage (which was all just free-standing Gladiator stuff), and I was tempted to try something new like a blue or a green. Honestly I ran out of time to stall and test colors before I would have held up progress, so I went with what I knew I liked from last time and moved on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamoose View Post
I'm sorry for not contributing earlier... I had the same situation with the Liftmaster being close to the ceiling. I solved that by dropping the opener and installing chain & sprockets. It turned out extremely well that it actually looks like a factory option. No holes to cut!

And about your garage,... I'm speechless. It's a fine work of art sir. Thank you for sharing with us!
Ah, yes that would have been the right way to do it! I totally missed those chain drive threads before it was too late. Luckily you can't really see that the top of the opener pops into the ceiling since the hole is cut very close to the opener dimensions, but I think the chain drive would have looked pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc-cad View Post
Out standing job on the build and thanks for sharing. I like the colors you choose also. Is this a detached garage?

TC-CAD
Thanks! Yes, this is a detached garage. It had no side door (just the main garage door) when we started. I wish it was attached to the house, but the upside of it being detached is nobody wants to park in it so it gets used exclusively for working on cars or hobby projects.
Mech33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #32
MrQuinn

Very nice and almost an auto clinic so to speak. So clean after all the work, how long did it take from start to this point? I especially like the in ground lift and planned to do that for the bike lift in my shop after I get the walls finished. I Subscribed too!

No trees were killed in the posting of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
MrQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #33
Mech33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuinn View Post
Very nice and almost an auto clinic so to speak. So clean after all the work, how long did it take from start to this point? I especially like the in ground lift and planned to do that for the bike lift in my shop after I get the walls finished. I Subscribed too!
Thanks! My focus is auto work, so auto clinic is a good call. I just took a look at my records, and from the time we started removing drywall until I took those final photos was roughly 9 months.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #34
PaulyC

absolutely amazing garage. im truly jealous. great job.
PaulyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #35
dhubbard422

Love the night photo. I'm very envious of the finish on your floor. All-in-all you've created a really nice space!
dhubbard422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:51 PM   #36
LXCam

Sooooo awesome!.

So have you loaded any of the drawers yet?. I'm interested to hear what you think of the quality of those cabinets once they start getting used. I've looked at those before and have been thinking about a set but would like an honest opinion before pulling the trigger.

Thanks
LXCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:08 PM   #37
Modern Jess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXCam View Post
I'm interested to hear what you think of the quality of those cabinets once they start getting used. I've looked at those before and have been thinking about a set but would like an honest opinion before pulling the trigger.
Ditto that. I went and looked at their website, and it's a bit short on details. I'd love to hear a bit more from someone that actually owns them.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:10 PM   #38
Mech33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXCam View Post
Sooooo awesome!.

So have you loaded any of the drawers yet?. I'm interested to hear what you think of the quality of those cabinets once they start getting used. I've looked at those before and have been thinking about a set but would like an honest opinion before pulling the trigger.

Thanks
I've loaded a few of them full of socket sets that are pretty heavy. While they still open and close fine, and are in fact "ball bearing", the ball bearing slides themselves are not as high quality as the Gladiator cabinets I had before. The result is that they take a bit more force to move in and out than I'd ideally like, while higher-end slides just glide more fluidly.

It's not a deal breaker, but just something to be aware of. If you tried to replace all of the slides with high-end ones, you'd probably quickly offset the cost savings of the cabinets.

The cabinets themselves are pretty beefy and look fantastic. I especially like the extruded aluminum pulls. BUT they are a pain in the butt to install and leave a bunch of sheet metal screw ends exposed in the corners and edges (hasn't been a problem yet).

But all in all, if you don't mind the limited selection of different cabinet sizes they offer, I'd still consider them. Plus the owner Dean @ Saber is a great guy that was quick to address any question I had. On delivery, some of the shelves were crunched by the freight truck (clear marks of them setting another shipment on top of my shipment were evident), and Dean got new parts FedEx'd over to me immediately no questions asked. I actually got to check out his warehouse and showroom when I was up in the Reno area before I placed the final order.

So if there was one thing I'd change about the cabinets, I'd just be the slides.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:34 AM   #39
metalhead140

Wow! Awesome garage.

Because life's too short to drive boring cars!
metalhead140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #40
JoniH

Wow, very nice.. wish i could have something like that. One hour with a angle grinder and a rusty datsun.. not possible.

My garage projects: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=277752
JoniH is offline   Reply With Quote