Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2015, 07:40 AM   #41
dubber

Default Re: Mech33s garage remodel with in-ground scissor lift in California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech33 View Post
I owe virtually every one of the ideas realized in my remodeled garage to the GarageJournal community, so let me start by giving a big thanks to everyone on here!
If this is true, you sir get perfect marks for execution. Awesome garage! Thanks for posting. I'm really digging what you have created. This hands down is my new favorite garage. Appreciated being able to read through the progression on your build.

dubber's double

dubber's single

2004 .:R / 2014 JETTA TDI

Last edited by dubber; 02-09-2015 at 08:03 AM.
dubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:30 AM   #42
sileighty_91

If you don't mind me asking, how much did just the ridge beam set you back? I'm thinking of vaulting the ceiling in my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sileighty_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #43
Denwood

Excellent build! I did a very similar ridge beam ceiling raise but ran two cross beams to leave loft storage at both ends. Sil, my cost here was $650 for three "Versalam engineered beams delivered to the site.

Very clean work space. This ranks up there as one of sleekest garages I've seen :-)
Denwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:45 AM   #44
Bob Hall

Did I understand correctly, that you removed the ceiling joists and the old ridge board and installed the new ridge beam without disrupting the roof? I can sort of visualize that, but it's a pretty delicate operation.

Oh, and that's one of the most beautiful garages I've ever seen~!

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=283635
Bob Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #45
Todd.Brock

Hi, interested in the aluminum channel for your under cabinets lights. I have led strips that don't stick worth a darn'.
Todd.Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #46
LXCam

[QUOTE=Mech33;4623341]I've loaded a few of them full of socket sets that are pretty heavy. While they still open and close fine, and are in fact "ball bearing", the ball bearing slides themselves are not as high quality as the Gladiator cabinets I had before. The result is that they take a bit more force to move in and out than I'd ideally like, while higher-end slides just glide more fluidly.

It's not a deal breaker, but just something to be aware of. If you tried to replace all of the slides with high-end ones, you'd probably quickly offset the cost savings of the cabinets.

The cabinets themselves are pretty beefy and look fantastic. I especially like the extruded aluminum pulls. BUT they are a pain in the butt to install and leave a bunch of sheet metal screw ends exposed in the corners and edges (hasn't been a problem yet).

But all in all, if you don't mind the limited selection of different cabinet sizes they offer, I'd still consider them. Plus the owner Dean @ Saber is a great guy that was quick to address any question I had. On delivery, some of the shelves were crunched by the freight truck (clear marks of them setting another shipment on top of my shipment were evident), and Dean got new parts FedEx'd over to me immediately no questions asked. I actually got to check out his warehouse and showroom when I was up in the Reno area before I placed the final order.

So if there was one thing I'd change about the cabinets, I'd just be the slides.[/
QUOTE]

That's excellent info, thank you very much!.

Thinking out loud I guess if I intended on certain drawers being loaded, I'd just replace those few I need which is acceptable considering the cost of Lista or Vidmar.
LXCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #47
Mech33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sileighty_91 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how much did just the ridge beam set you back? I'm thinking of vaulting the ceiling in my garage.
I think my beam was ~$600. It was beefy (something like 5-1/4" x 14" x 22' long PSL beam).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
Did I understand correctly, that you removed the ceiling joists and the old ridge board and installed the new ridge beam without disrupting the roof? I can sort of visualize that, but it's a pretty delicate operation.

Oh, and that's one of the most beautiful garages I've ever seen~!
Yes, they shored the existing rafters with 4x4's down to the floor while they cut out the old small ridge beam and put in the structural one. I was impressed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd.Brock View Post
Hi, interested in the aluminum channel for your under cabinets lights. I have led strips that don't stick worth a darn'.
I used these aluminum channels (I chose silver anodized aluminum): https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...-housing/2039/

Double stick tape sticks to them really well!

Last edited by Mech33; 02-09-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Mech33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:00 PM   #48
Bib Overalls

A complete project in 6 sequential posts. That took some forethought. Very impressed with your final result. Are you really going to change oil in that super sanitary place?

I think you are a man after my own heart. My signature motto applies to you as well.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratpoison/

When I am dead and gone a new owner will walk into my 99% completed dream shop and say "this place has potential."
Bib Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:00 AM   #49
Mech33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bib Overalls View Post
A complete project in 6 sequential posts. That took some forethought. Very impressed with your final result. Are you really going to change oil in that super sanitary place?

I think you are a man after my own heart. My signature motto applies to you as well.
Thanks! Haha, changing oil is in the plan! But I'm definrely a bit nervous spilling oil on the polished concrete. I might get a mat to role out just for oil changes. Or I should just spill some oil on purpose to get over messing up the floor.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:20 AM   #50
Marc Benjamin

Dude you're like my hero.

Around how much should we put aside if we were to attempt something like that? About 30k?

What would you do different for the next one?

Last edited by Marc Benjamin; 02-10-2015 at 01:43 AM.
Marc Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #51
STANIMAL

Fantastic build .

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it.
― Thomas Paine
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:21 AM   #52
sublime68charger

very nice build and start to this thread.

wow all this in 9 months. Heck I been working on mine for 3 plus years now.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=266239

Quote:
Posted by sublime68charger
Sorry for my novice questions but if I'm gonna give a novice non expert answer I need some more info to bluff my answer through.
Quote:
Posted by kjdhawkhill
You have summarized the internet in a nearly perfect two-liner.
sublime68charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #53
ford33

Beautiful garage. Your design and execution of the build is excellent.
ford33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #54
ODIS

Saw the picture in the Garages At Night thread and was impressed. Really impressed now after reading your thread. Great planning and execution. Very well done!

Ody.

PS: Looks like you have a pleasant view (other than the beautiful garage) to boot!

The Never Ending Retirement Garage/Shop Projects:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=149658
ODIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #55
67rstbkt

Amazing work! You've given me some great ideas for my setup. Thanks for posting this!
67rstbkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:29 PM   #56
Mech33

Thanks for all the positive comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Benjamin View Post
Dude you're like my hero.

Around how much should we put aside if we were to attempt something like that? About 30k?

What would you do different for the next one?
All said and done (including cabinets, counters, lift, some simple exterior work to support the new side door, etc.) I think this hit close to $50k. But keep in mind that labor rates in the bay area of California are pretty high.

As far as what I would do different next time, that's still TBD as I use it more. BUT one thing I for sure would recommend doing that I didn't do enough of was up-front design / planning.

When we started the the teardown, I was planning on just standing some Gladiator benches and cabinets in there with a standing sink. Since the exact configuration hadn't been determined yet, I made the best decisions I could on outlet and wiring locations, the new side door location, switch locations, etc.

But as soon as I dug into the cabinet research and switched to the Saber stuff and completed a detailed CAD layout, I realized that much of the electrical needed to move. This resulted in a bunch of cost associated with undoing completed work and redoing it, which cost time and money.

So in hindsight, I would learn a simple 3D CAD tool like SketchUp (free), and do as detailed of a layout design as you can, including where lights will be, corresponding switch and outlet locations, etc. By doing that, I was able to drop outlets and the speaker connections in corners above cabinets where I knew I'd put the audio amplifier, get an outlet right next to the garage vacuum, etc.

And with the cabinet layout drawing up, you can easily add blocking between the studs to make it super easy to mount them to the wall as rigidly as possible.

So in summary: create detailed plan specs up front!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODIS View Post
Saw the picture in the Garages At Night thread and was impressed. Really impressed now after reading your thread. Great planning and execution. Very well done!

Ody.

PS: Looks like you have a pleasant view (other than the beautiful garage) to boot!
Thanks! It's partially blocked by trees, but we're up on a hill and can see out pretty far. But expanding that window would have taken away valuable wall space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67rstbkt View Post
Amazing work! You've given me some great ideas for my setup. Thanks for posting this!
Great to hear!
Old 02-10-2015, 02:27 PM   #57
old-air-performance

what a nice place you build yourself over there!
already one of my favorites
old-air-performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #58
trialrun

love this build! well executed!!!!
trialrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #59
Todd.Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech33 View Post
I think my beam was ~$600. It was beefy (something like 5-1/4" x 14" x 22' long PSL beam).

Yes, they shored the existing rafters with 4x4's down to the floor while they cut out the old small ridge beam and put in the structural one. I was impressed!

I used these aluminum channels (I chose silver anodized aluminum): https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...-housing/2039/

Double stick tape sticks to them really well!

Well, that's my problem actually. The double-sided sticky tape on the LED strips that I bought don't stick worth a damn to the cabinets that I have. They are a white melamine bottom so I don't know if that has something to do with it but they're brand-new so everything is good and clean and shiny and all that crap so I thought if I super glued them to those strips with the diffusers that would also break up the reflection of the LEDs in the countertops
Todd.Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:08 PM   #60
NewShockerGuy

Awesome garage!! :-)

Where did you get the recessed garbage can and paper towel holder? What brand is it?

Thanks,
-Nigel

-....-> ~ NSG ~ <-....-
NewShockerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote