Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2016, 01:26 AM   #121
Tunajoe

Default Re: Mech33ís garage remodel with in-ground scissor lift in California

Sweet garage!
Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:14 PM   #122
wasfast

How are the Troffers secured to the ceiling? These are usually resting on the perimeter with the face in the ceiling grid. Is there other features to use screws etc to "ceiling mount" the fixture?
Old 01-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #123
Mech33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyjibo View Post
Very cool space, nice work!
I'm hoping that you could elaborate on your earlier post. Can you describe what is degrading?
My (planned) garage addition will be open to a courtyard and much of the interior will be visible from the house. Terrazzo flooring was common to the mid-century modern houses so polished concrete seems like it could satisfy the doesn't-look-too-much-like-a-garage requirement. Thanks.
Thanks! The stained color in the polished concrete is getting peeled up by my car tires. So in the areas where the car is parked, much of the stain is missing. In general if something sticky gets on the floor (like tape), when you peel it off it will take some fine grains of polished concrete with it (along with some of the stain color). Not a big deal since it is a workspace, but I do wish the finish was a little more robust. If I could do it over, I'd probably just go with the natural concrete color rather than the dark stain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Len View Post
Absolutely love this setup! With regard to vaulting the roof - did they retain the original rafters and roof sheathing and everything? AKA, they did everything from the interior without having to do any re-roofing or stucco/paneling on the exterior?

I have a similarly designed roof and would love to do the same thing. It's actually already been shored up with a paralam beam (at top plate height) which was used to jack the roof up in a few areas since the original structure was sagging significantly. If I could raise my paralam up without too much trouble and end up with a vaulted ceiling I'd be pretty excited.
Thanks! Yes, the contractor did all of the work from the inside: they shored up the roof before removing the original ceiling joists, and then added the beam and scissored up the rafters for added strength. They didn't have to do any exterior work in the process of this (original roof and all siding remained). In the interior, they of course had to do the drywall work, but that's about it.

I consulted a structural engineer to size the beam and the scissoring of the rafters just to be sure. I'd do the same for your setup just to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro3421 View Post
Just wanted to say what an awesome job you did on the build and you were definitely an inspiration for my build I just finished a few months ago:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=311609
Thanks, your garage looks awesome! One thing you have that I still need to figure out is a vise type and location. I don't have the heart to drill through my custom stainless countertops, so I was considering a very large adhesive area of say a 1/2" plate to the top of the counter, and then bolt the vise to that. Or alternatively, maybe engineer a wall mount for the vice and just mount it when I need it? Would love any recommendations based on your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper View Post
Mech how are you liking the Saber cabinets. They seem very well made. Question for you. I as well am going to have to put my base cabinets on top of my bottom plate on top of my concrete wall. How high are you from floor to top of counter? Yours looks perfect when I take measurements Im afraid my cabinets will be too high.

Thanks
I'm liking the Saber cabinets more and more. They are definitely beefy. My only complaint is that they take a bit more effort to slide than other ball bearing drawers I've used in the past. But I wouldn't say they are too much effort, I just think that is one area that could be improved. If I could do it all over again, I think I would still go with the Sabers. I do love the gray color and the thickness of the metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasfast View Post
How are the Troffers secured to the ceiling? These are usually resting on the perimeter with the face in the ceiling grid. Is there other features to use screws etc to "ceiling mount" the fixture?
The rafters are spaced so that the troffers just fit between them, and then the troffers were screwed into the rafters for mounting. They were mounted at a depth such that drywall would mate right up to the face of the troffers. If I recall, there were some small holes in the outer shell of the troffer that facilitated screw mounting to wood on the sides. Hope this makes sense.

So far everything in the garage has been working well. I had to fix a leak in the oil tank for the scissor lift, and there are some small cracks in the joints of some of the drywall edges in some places, but nothing too out of place in a workshop. As I mentioned above, I think I just need a good vise to finish it off.
Mech33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #124
Xander

Awesome garage build! I am working on my build for round 2 which is about the same size as you have listed here. I like the garbage can and sink ideas, those are a great idea for keeping things clean and organized. I have yet to decide on a lift, but this is certainly a good option. The in floor is so slick, but I am worried about using that in a northern climate with snow covered vehicles (and the salt they carry)

X...

My garage build http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...98#post2432598
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:47 PM   #125
Mech33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Awesome garage build! I am working on my build for round 2 which is about the same size as you have listed here. I like the garbage can and sink ideas, those are a great idea for keeping things clean and organized. I have yet to decide on a lift, but this is certainly a good option. The in floor is so slick, but I am worried about using that in a northern climate with snow covered vehicles (and the salt they carry)

X...
Thanks! The garbage can with paper towel dispenser has been awesome. It holds plenty of trash for my use, and it keeps the track can out of the way. I'm really glad I ended up installing that.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:25 PM   #126
ambenz

Do you plan on decorating the walls and storage cabinet doors with tin art or anything auto related?
Or trying to keep it clean and minimalistic?
Just curious...
Old 01-14-2017, 11:49 PM   #127
LXCam

Still one of my most favorite garages of all time. The few additional times I've seen this pop up and I'm still blown away how clean it turned out.

Bored today?, read this
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=311519
LXCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:47 PM   #128
Mech33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambenz View Post
Do you plan on decorating the walls and storage cabinet doors with tin art or anything auto related?
Or trying to keep it clean and minimalistic?
Just curious...
I'd be open to some art on the walls. Just need to find the right stuff! Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXCam View Post
Still one of my most favorite garages of all time. The few additional times I've seen this pop up and I'm still blown away how clean it turned out.
Thanks!!

I still need to fit a vise and a press somewhere...
Old 03-23-2017, 10:09 PM   #129
Holt

I dont see the pictures anymore. Any way to get them back up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haveblue View Post
The greatest mysteries of mankind are being discussed here, toilets,time travel, UFOs..and most importantly BACON!!!:D
Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:13 AM   #130
chrismenke

I second that request for the pics!
chrismenke is offline   Reply With Quote