Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #201
markviii

Default Re: The 12-Gauge Garage

Blues, and the rock and roll that came from it, are the only thing to play in our garages! It just sets the tone.
markviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #202
klogan121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
Thanks.

I can only find the one picture of the Jeep. It's a 1983 with the straight six (so I doubt it would have the oomph for towing). It was from when AMC owned the company and (if I remember right) the cars were made in Wisconsin.

It's purely a work car for me -- a parts hauler. I wish I had a picture of it with the 1200 pounds of ceramic tiles and adhesive for the garage. It was riding LOW.

But I've had it since 1993, and it's never broken. I've thought about restoring it -- paint and a V8. But I don't know what I'd do while it was out of commission.

I drive the 911 around town and also to the track. I used to run stickier tires, and made 10-hour drives to some tracks with wheels and tires on the roof.

I love those original, un-restored Jeeps! I would keep it the way it is! Here in MI, most Jeeps are rust-buckets Weren't Jeeps produced in Toledo, OH? Maybe elsewhere, too.
klogan121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #203
markviii

My grandmother worked at the WIllys plant in Toledo, OH from the late 1930s to the late 70s when she retired. She was an upholsterer. While JFK was in the White House, he ordered 6 Jeepsters for Jackie. My grandmother did the upholstery. She was always bringing home leftover material and making things for us - zippered bags for our swim suits, shoe holders to put up on closet doors, picnic table cloths, etc. AMC had Kaiser-Jeep from 1970-1987. Chrysler bought it. My grandfather worked at the Chevy plant in Toledo for 55 years. My dad's cousins (on grandmother's side) all lived in or around Detroit and worked for Ford. My dad always bought Fords and grandpa would always tell him, "Don't park that jalopy in my driveway!" There was a definite rivalry in our family.

The Parkway Jeep plant in Toledo closed in June of 2006 when the last Wrangler came off the line. Within a year it was demolished. Part of the paint plant is still there (the smoke stack with Overland on it). It just doesn't look the same driving down the parkway. I think the Stickney Avenue plant building where they did final assembly is still there, but my guess is it's unused. The North Toledo assembly plant is where the Jeep Liberty is assembled. I think there's another plant in Perrysburg, OH (less than 20 miles away). The engine for the Jeep Cherokee is made in Kenosha, WI, I think. My grandmother use to keep me up on all this stuff, so it's kind of just a memory now that she's gone. If we still owned our 1949 Jeepster, I might have kept up with the history.

I heard from relatives that they also did a very poor job of saving all the historical documentation of prototypes and other artifacts for the museum.
markviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #204
bluesboy

Unhappy Re: The 12-Gauge Garage

Thanks for the information. That titles not very politically correct for our times, but back than they were also called race records also. Check out this link http://www.venerablemusic.com/default.asp some interesting music all on 78rpm. Enjoy. Jim
bluesboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #205
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Well, I took the 911 out on Tuesday and discovered the smell of gasoline in the oil tank -- which confirmed what a previous leakdown test had suggested: I've got broken rings and it's time to go through the motor.

So for my track day on Wednesday, the new baby-hauling BMW was called off the bench and sent into the game. It doesn't have the personality (or capability) of the 911 out on the track, but it got itself around just fine and got me there and back in comfort.

Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #206
dho

Jack, is that your Porsche in the new issue of Classic Motorsports mag? Beautiful car and beautiful garage - great work!

Buddy
dho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #207
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dho View Post
Jack, is that your Porsche in the new issue of Classic Motorsports mag?
It might be. They called a while ago to ask if they could use a picture in some article about a low-cost racing class. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out next time I'm at the bookstore.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #208
metelburner

Jack where did you get those clamps that are on your drill press
metelburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:40 PM   #209
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by metelburner View Post
Jack where did you get those clamps that are on your drill press
Harbor Freight.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:37 PM   #210
cdrewferd

Great looking garage Jack. Sorry to hear about the motor in the 911. Any special plans for it during the rebuild process?
cdrewferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #211
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Thanks. And thanks for the engine condolences. But it's a little like when a grandparent lives past a hundred -- I stopped keeping track of 'track hours' at 500 or so. I do monthly track events with Open Track Racing, have run multiple POC and PCA events, did the Open Track Challenge (driving 'to' and then 'at' seven tracks in seven days, like a more-concentrated One Lap of America) three times, as well as time trials with NASA and the Alfa Romeo club. I also did two seasons of racing with ARC, three seasons of time trialing with NCRC. In other words, I ran that engine pretty mercilessly for a long time.

And it's also been a street car.

So a replacement or rebuild is coming up, but it's not a surprise. We'll see which path ends up making the most sense.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #212
Dan in Pasadena

Jack,
If you go with a rebuild will you try to do it yourself using Wayne's book? I REALLY thought about doing it on my little 2.7. I'm guessing if you taught yourself to weld and to fabricate tables and fences, etc you can teach yourself to rebuild a 3.6. Plus you've got a lot of contacts in the Porsche world. If you decide to go that way, I'd love to ee you post the progress photos here on the Fabrication sub-forum (obviously, I am assuming you would post to Pelican as well?)
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #213
billscamaros

Jack - it's cool the way that you have let creativity rule in the garage. Does that extend to the house also? Is it an ongoing project like the garage?
billscamaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #214
gorilla

Jack, Think of all the neat tools you could buy if you rebuild that flat six yourself and all the neat things you could make like an engine stand, and a floor jack adapter and who knows what else. The last 2.6 I rebuilt cost about $8,000.00. Don't be afraid of it it's just nuts and bolts.
gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:33 PM   #215
WANTSOM

The tearing down and re-assembly is certainly something that can be done by people with good mechanical knowledge and skills. The tricky bit with any engine rebuild is the tolerance measuring and machining work, particularly with hi performance motors.

There is a sense of satisfaction with piecing it together, if you have the time and ability to do it right.
WANTSOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #216
28HopUp

Send a message via AIM to 28HopUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
Here are the new Matco ones, along with the new quick-release Vise Grips:

Jack,

I must have missed reading it, but what's the story on the doored cabinets with the pegbaord inside? Those look great, even opened (closed too I bet). That set-up would be a great way for me to hide tools yet keep them handy.

TIA!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #217
abrahamfh

Really great looking garage Jack, I must thank you ahead of time for all the inspiration and motivation reading through your thread has done for me.

I was wondering, could you include a photograph of how you organized the interior of the storage unit you built along side of the house?

As per the previous comment, I too really dig the doored cabinets with the peg board inside. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have noticed this style of storage in a lot of the older Los Angeles home garages. My Grandfather in law built his own house and two car garage in historic Stonehurst (sun valley, ca) back in the late 40's and he too added this same style cabinet/storage unit. It's so practical and looks so cool.

Thanks again for sharing your garage vision and how it slowly became what it is today.

Cheers
abrahamfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #218
mustangmccance

Hey Jack. this may be inappropriate in this forum but I was just wondering what kind of writing you do? I like the attention to detail, and passion you show in your garage and I was just curious. if this is not appropriate here I apologize in advance.

"if it's not broke I haven't fixed it yet"

Welcome to the Doghouse!: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=44061
mustangmccance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #219
Gareth

Excellent, and inspiring thread.

Thanks for sharing in such detail. Absolutely love the 911 - I will own one of a similar era one day.

Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #220
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
I must have missed reading it, but what's the story on the doored cabinets with the pegbaord inside? Those look great, even opened (closed too I bet). That set-up would be a great way for me to hide tools yet keep them handy.
I wish I knew more about them. They were a Craigslist impulse buy. I liked the way they folded up small, then opened up for a lot of storage area. By the time I found a use for them, it made more sense to just keep them open (the one with the hammers swings closed, if needed, but I've got the one with the hand tools mounted so it's always open). The box around them keeps the tools cleaner, even when it's not closed, and it also makes the tool storage look more 'on purpose.'

They didn't come with the pegboard. I put that in, with spacers behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamfh View Post
Really great looking garage Jack, I must thank you ahead of time for all the inspiration and motivation reading through your thread has done for me.

I was wondering, could you include a photograph of how you organized the interior of the storage unit you built along side of the house?

As per the previous comment, I too really dig the doored cabinets with the peg board inside. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have noticed this style of storage in a lot of the older Los Angeles home garages. My Grandfather in law built his own house and two car garage in historic Stonehurst (sun valley, ca) back in the late 40's and he too added this same style cabinet/storage unit. It's so practical and looks so cool.

Thanks again for sharing your garage vision and how it slowly became what it is today.
Thanks. Maybe someone who reads this thread will be able to add some information about the metal cabinets. I'd be interested in learning about them.

I don't have pictures of the inside of the shed. It's divided into four compartments. The three on the right side are each about 40" wide and less than 60" high. I built in shelves to make two sections in one, three in another and four in the third. The shelves are about 48" deep.

The larger compartment to the left is 6' wide. I'm able to keep a tool box, my welder, my Oxy-Ac setup and a 30" combination press brake/roller/shear in there. You can't stand in it, but I'm always surprised by how much fits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmccance View Post
Hey Jack. this may be inappropriate in this forum but I was just wondering what kind of writing you do? I like the attention to detail, and passion you show in your garage and I was just curious. if this is not appropriate here I apologize in advance.
I write screenplays for movies. Some of that is original scripts and some of it is rewrite work on other people's scripts. It may sound glamorous (and I can't complain), but I've been doing it for a living for 14 years now and you still won't find my name on any of the movies I've worked on.

Ah, well.

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 06-07-2010 at 05:30 PM.