Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #21
BetterDays

Default Re: The 12-Gauge Garage

I concur with the rest.

Something that allows the commoner think that "we can do that".

Unlike watch Old Yankee Workshop with his "insert project" machine that makes everything, you started with and keep providing great ideas for the rest of us.
BetterDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #22
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Thanks very much guys. What would I do without a board like this? My wife just rolls her eyes at the place. My neighbors don't get it; they see me unloading steel cabinets and come over to tell me they think I'm crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
Insert wise crack here about how you dropped one of your ten ton shelving units on the Porsche, to bring your ego back in check...
My heart still speeds up when I flash back to that moment where I saw the thing going over like a domino, with the car right in its path. It's really kind of a miracle that the damage was so easily fixable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONE View Post
why do you have decorated tissue paper near the sink?
Dude, I use that to fill out the top of the shiny gift bag before I sprinkle on some glitter and shoot it with a squeeze of perfume.

My wife brought that out while I was working because I had a cold and was blowing my nose into my sleeve too much.

It does kind of match the color scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatrhino View Post
How's the tile been holding up?
Better than it ought to. I think tile is fine for a shop like this where you're going to do carpentry and minor car work. But welding slag burns it. When you grind something too long and the debris gets hot, it burns the glazing on the tiles. And I do have a small chip, which I suspect is from one of those cabinets. You can also see where I had to leave a cut-out that was from a pillar supporting the old shelves. One weekend, I'll drop some new tiles in where I have damage. It's not the perfect surface, but I think it's better (and cheaper) than most of the high-level epoxies. If you're going to do a lot of welding, though, I think naked concrete is probably the only way to go, long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gds14r View Post
what kind of hinges you used on your drop down benches? standard undustrial door hinges?
There are three 4-1/2" hinges on the woodworking table (that's the leaf length, basically the same length as the pin), and five 5-1/2" hinges on the steel table. All of them are screwed into the wall studs, and the woodworking bench has a support underneath the table at each hinge point so that the stress isn't on the hinge when the table's in use -- the weight is sitting on the supports. But they're standard hinges. Just big ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkerAMCer View Post
any pictures of the table suspended over the car? sounds like a neat way to save space. any info on this table would b great
It's one of the few things in the garage that I think is a bad idea (although I just don't have a better alternative). The table weighs a couple hundred pounds. I think that's too much weight to suspend above a race car -- especially if you're a guy who already knocked a cabinet over on one. But here's a photo. Cables go through pulleys and combine to a single cable before connecting to a winch. You need enough cable length so that it can extend all the way down to the floor, and then that much cable length again for the single line that runs to the winch. So in my shop the cables follow and L-shaped path to the wall above the man door.

My wife saw it and said something about the 'Sword of Damocles.' I have a separate set of chains that hold it in place when it's at rest up there, so there would have to be multiple simultaneous failures for it to come down. But it's not an idea I'm very proud of. I suspect that sooner or later, it's going to come down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
I like the updates! BTW, who do you write for?
I write screenplays, so I work for different studios in Los Angeles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon67 View Post
I hearby order you to cease posting nifty creations with cool cabinetry sourced for cheap. I'm very busy here - busy, busy, busy and you are making Sulley lose his focus!
I promise. I'm done. (And thanks.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborcim View Post
I like your repainted HF bottom cabinet. That was one of the first things I noticed. It would go right with my other Craftsman boxes. Does Sears carry that paint or is it a Rustoleum color? Nice collection of C-clamps too for a hobbyist.
It's Rustoleum Regal Red professional enamel and Rustoleum semi-gloss black. Looks good at arm's length, and hasn't scratched off. I lightly scuffed it and wiped it down with acetone before priming with self-etching primer and painting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman163 View Post
How in the WORLD did you get the cabinets in under those tight clearances and not crack any tile?
I moved very slowly, with a lot of levers and some furniture dollies. Normally, these are moved with a fork lift, but I cut all the legs off. I positioned them, and then built the cabinets around them.

They are never moving again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
Where do you store your woodworking materials, and excess materials?
I store some steel in the space behind the Harbor Freight tool box, under the bench along the back wall. I also have room for long stock above the garage door.

I also made some little roofing pieces along one side of the house where I store 4x8 sheets and 8'-20' lengths of steel. I also have some bins under the kitchen-island-style-bench with small scraps of wood and steel. I also keep some steel scrap in the shed where I keep the welder and Oxy-Acetylene rig.

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 02-02-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #23
Dan in Pasadena

Jack,
Wonderful recap. I like the two colors instead of three. It's a bit cleaner.

I hereby predict your next project is likely to be the sink area! First you're gonna want to make an overhead cabinet for those exposed Porsche manuals - sliding doors? light can over the sink? Then, you'll undoubtedly decide to enclose below the sink (somehow incorporating a Craftsman red/black combo?) and finally, you'll want the counter top to be a similar dark brown as the other work surfaces, but since you'll want it waterproof I'm guessing you'll comes up with either a dark brown wood appearing laminate OR tile. (Have I called it, or have I call it?) If you end up with one of those 500 lb. steel cabinets below that sink....well, I wouldn't be surprised! Best, Dan
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:29 AM   #24
ovilla

Jack, great write up and revamp! I always liked your shop before and am amazed at what you did to it (like it even more now too). Just amazing how much more open space you gained during this remodel.

Anyway, what's the purpose of the table that's suspended from the ceiling by cables and how stable is it at working height? Looks cool as heck but just wondering what you actually intend to use it for.
ovilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #25
Nuts

I like the fact that this shop was built with sweat equity, rather than big bucks, very nice.

Nuts
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #26
Brian R

Jack,
You've done more with $2,500 than anyone else has done with $25,000. Awesome garage and when I finish mine you will see the details I lifted...
Awesome!
Brian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #27
wfopete

Good stuff but I would hate to retrive those big pipe wrenches on a regular basis. I like you try to keep my stuff out of sight when not in use but I try to make the heavy stuff EZ to access.
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #28
jktruck150

Jack, Great place! All you need now is a silver bucket with ice and BEvERages on that table next to the garage door! Looks great. I like how you restored all the cabinents. I think it was worth the time and effort. keep it up!
jktruck150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #29
thdewey

Jack

You inspired me to make the most of my garage. I'm too am cheap but want to make my garage as nice as possible.

I can't wait to start to weld. I'd love a shop table/desk like that.

Simply AWESOME!
Old 02-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #30
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I hereby predict your next project is likely to be the sink area!
You might be right. But I'm resisting. I've got a thing I want to make for the kid next, and I pretty much spent all my January free time out in the garage -- working on the garage. Even to me, that seems a little bit crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovilla View Post
What's the purpose of the table that's suspended from the ceiling by cables and how stable is it at working height? Looks cool as heck but just wondering what you actually intend to use it for.
The legs are sitting on top of it. It bolts together with two bolts, and then I can set it up wherever I want. I used it (and another just like it) when I was building my fence. It's a good sturdy base, although why I'm going to need a ninth work surface in that garage is a very valid question. I think the answer is that I'm too cheap to throw it out.

This is the only picture I've got handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
Good stuff but I would hate to retrive those big pipe wrenches on a regular basis. I like you try to keep my stuff out of sight when not in use but I try to make the heavy stuff EZ to access.
I agree. This setup is pretty custom to me, and I've only used those wrenches a couple of times. If I used them more often, they'd get different placement.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #31
Tman

Nice fab table.

www.compulsionrodandcustom.com
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #32
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Here's another picture of the place. This one shows the color a little more accurately -- there's less of an incandescent yellow hue to it.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #33
Deschodt

Trying to figure out which is the best inspiration... your work on the garage, or your work on the black beauty... I'm going with the car, but it was a close thing ;-)
Deschodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #34
jwhcars

I enjoyed reading this thread as much as the first thread you posted. Jack you did a fantastic job with lots of good ideas on laying out your shop. Enjoy the fruits of you labor.
jwhcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #35
ratz

I like the idea of the removable grinder ( wire wheel) it looks like you have hitch reciever tube for other removable tools... like what else?

I am entertaining the idea of combining a few of your items.

A couple angle iron pieces about 3 inches apart, maybe 2ft long, hanging down from the wall with a 6" grinder mounted to the end, with a brace. Kind of like your tables/anvil.

You seem to be a pretty good engineer, so let us know when its done, and we can copy it!
ratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #36
jeffhay

My only problem with this is that I'm primarily a woodworker and now you're making me want to weld.
Very nice garage, though. Great job. I'll echo the sentiments of a few others and say that I appreciate the way you've salvaged, adapted or created things to fit your needs.
jeffhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #37
Cebby

Send a message via AIM to Cebby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
In the latest update of the garage, I got rid of the yellow paint on this wall. Iíve decided the only two colors on the wall will be the tan and the green.

Hereís the old yellow:

You should get a royalty...

http://www.vansantent.com/Bench_Solution.htm

I thought of your solution when I saw this.
Cebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #38
Dan in Pasadena

I like the way Jack's up swing table covers his wall of clamps and tools better than this pro system.

Now if there were a way for the support mechanisms to be hidden like on the down swing one, you'd really have something. It could be done, but the supports would come from the wall down to the top of the table surface and would be in the way.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:07 AM   #39
SSCustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby View Post
You should get a royalty...

http://www.vansantent.com/Bench_Solution.htm

I thought of your solution when I saw this.
The guy that owns Bench Solution is married to my ex-girlfriend. It's a good thing she's gorgeous, or their kids wouldn't stand a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vetEgHa7Nso
SSCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #40
51rider

Jack,
Saw this cabinet & my first thought was 'this would go great in Jack's garage'

I think it was at this point that I finally realised that I'm a garge addict!

Gedore are a German company manufacture quality cabinets & also some tools.

Postage would be a downer...
51rider is offline   Reply With Quote