Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2017, 01:27 AM   #5041
rlitman

Default Re: The 12-Gauge Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawmws View Post
Jack, I think you are on to something with it being mold related rather than sun damage...
I'm sure that's 90% of it. The question is, how does it look after being cleaned, but before more stain is applied. That will show how much sun damage it has.

My thinking is, if the sun damage can be reduced, the annual task could just be the cleaning, and the stain could be touched up perhaps only every 5 years or more. And while cleaning is not a fun job (since you've got to put on gloves and move all the furniture around), it is still better than re-staining, which requires dry time and unfriendly odors, plus all of the above work to boot.

edit: Here's an idea:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Spray-For...1G-J/202088618

Last edited by rlitman; 04-01-2017 at 01:30 AM.
rlitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #5042
Ipassgas

Found it. Post 2289. Carson Blue compliments "In the meadow" (which isn't quite tarragon).

It wasn't your post, but I still like the color for my new to me Rotary.
Ipassgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #5043
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

That is a good blue. You could definitely consider it 12-Gauge-Garage approved.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:38 PM   #5044

Going back a few posts... I used twp 1500 on our cedar deck when I redid it in 2015 after some thorough reading. I wanted to the 100 series but due to the environmental regulations of massachusetts, I wasn't able to get it shipped to me. The 1500 is semitransparent, I wish it was a little more transparent, but you can still see grain through it.

Two years later, the front porch which is covered looks good. Color retention is excellent and I'll only need to touch up the edge of the steps from wear and exposure. The back deck, north east exposure, not covered, does grow some mildew and has held up ok. The portion that gets hit by the sprinklers definitely needs a recoat this summer. The more protected portions still look good.

FWIW, I sort of expect to treat a wood deck annually and am pretty happy how things are going so far.

What happens Down the Hatch
250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:59 PM   #5045
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Thanks. I ordered the TWP 100 series before I learned it couldn't be shipped to California. But my vendor had already sent it by then, so that's what I'm using. (So much for the enforcement of our state's regulations.)

Here's a summary of what I did and what I learned.

I started out with the graying/blackening as bad as it's ever been. I suppose that's because we had such a wet winter here. But whether it's mold/mildew/fungus or tannins drawn out by the water, it was pretty ugly. On the table, you'll see the piece of wood I stained as a sample -- it will appear in a lot of these pictures.

Here it is with the furniture removed. That circular pattern where my rug was is directly below one of the ceiling fans. I guess it's dust that has come down from the fan.

It should be noted that the wood itself is as smooth as the day I put it in. It will probably last forever and wouldn't require any real maintenance if the cosmetic issues didn't bug me.

But they do.

I tried scrubbing the heck out of it with the Oxy-type cleaner that they sell for this, and -- even with my power washer for the assist -- the results were pretty terrible. I think the hardness of this Brazilian wood means that this kind of cleaning is a waste of time.

Next up, the big guns came out. This is halfway through an application of Lye (or caustic -- it's the opposite of an acid). I used 6 oz of pure Sodium Hydroxide per gallon and wore a lot of protection. I used my dimestore pressure washer to take off the gooey layer of Lye and black stuff.

Next up, I used my old stand-by, Oxalic acid. Also applied with a Hudson-type sprayer and then worked in with a brush. Like the Lye, the acid dissolves the black stuff pretty well. And it also neutralizes the Lye and 'brightens' the wood.

But as nice as it looked wet, it dried out to a much flatter color. The important thing with this super-hard and dense wood is that you can throw chemicals at it and not have it eat into the soft part of the wood. This regimen would be terrible (I'm pretty sure) for traditional woods, or pressure treated soft woods, or even something like Oak or Mahogany.

I let it dry for 48 hours and applied the stain: TWP 116, which is their 'rustic oak' color. I bought a few samples from them, and this was the shade I liked the most with my Cumaru hardwood.

And here's a reminder of how far from that it had gone. That's the same sample piece as you see in the other pictures.

Here it is with the furniture back in place. Next time, I might have to actually get out a sander. We'll see. I'll be interested in seeing how the midewcydes (and other cydes) in the TWP stain will keep this look going over the next 12 months.

The whole thing took a few days, but wasn't super time-intensive. Applying the stain took 90 minutes, for example. The Lye and acid treatments took less than that. The scrubbing with Oxy cleaner took longer, but I won't be doing that again. The most time-intensive part of the process was letting the wood dry between treatments.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:42 PM   #5046
Craptain

So far so good! The decking looks great after treatment.

WWW.TheCaptainCanDoIt.com
Craptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:11 PM   #5047
rharman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptain View Post
So far so good! The decking looks great after treatment.
Agreed. Hope it stays that way for a good long time.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:58 AM   #5048
Boosted1
Alliance Member

Deck looks good.
Boosted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #5049
Colin Len

Sure hoping I don't run into this same problem with the Penofin I used on my redwood planter boxes. They're only about 6 months old so I suppose only time will tell.

Deck looks great again - hopefully you won't have to put so much hard work into it next year.
1992 Acura Integra GS-R - Track Day Car
Colin Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:56 AM   #5050
1Garageman

That stain looks really good!
Nice job!
Old 04-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #5051
erniebahr

It always amazes me how that deck comes back to life.
erniebahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #5052
-Brent-

Jack, great write-up on bringing the deck back. This is what lots of folks don't see with these immaculate spaces. A lot of times folks look at something they have where the niceness has been worn and think, "how come mine can't look like that?" What they don't see is the time and annual upkeep. So, thank you for always showing us the honest side of your projects. I do appreciate that.
My shop remodel where I clean up my act and attempt to create a functional space out of a 70+ year-old, 2-bay concrete block garage with a mix of reclaimed/repurposed items as well a bunch of other budget-busting materials and features.
-Brent- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #5053
Jsf721

Jack,

Excellent job as usual. If my wife were on GJ, I would have a honeydew lsit that included this procedure! My back deck cleans up really nicely with Bleach 10:1 and a scrub brush and a pressure washer. Its the spindles that drive me nuts. My deck was there when I purchased the house 24 years ago and I used to do the deck every other year. I have skipped the last few years actually 4 to be exact mainly because I was catching up on other projects thanks to Hurricane Sandy Damage.

This will be the year, I get the deck done. Thanks for the motivation.
Jsf721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #5054
Conor

Hey Jack,

where did you get that patio furniture? wife is looking for something similar for ours!
the ones with the reddish/orangish seat covers that is

Last edited by Conor; 04-11-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #5055
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Thanks, guys. We'll see how this new stain holds up.

Conor, the furniture started off as very inexpensive off-the-shelf Lowe's stuff, but then I modified it quite a bit. I'm not sure that that's the best way to go, for anyone. But it's typical of me. It's aluminum furniture and the first thing I discovered I didn't like was the cushion set that came with it. So I had new cushions made, which cost about 3X what the furniture sold for. The aluminum pieces also had a flat 'bench' type surface underneath the cushions, which I cut out and replaced with cable and upholstery springs. I also changed the angle of the sofas by shortening their legs and changing their relative length,and recline angle, and I made the sitting/cushion area deeper by about five inches by bolting in extension pieces between the main bench and the back sections.

I will say that they're VERY comfortable now. And our cat clearly agrees. But it was a fair amount of work. It's possible that if I had just sprung for a little better quality up front, it would have gone quicker and cost me the same or even less. But I'm stubborn that way.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #5056
rlitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post

It's possible that if I had just sprung for a little better quality up front, it would have gone quicker and cost me the same or even less. But I'm stubborn that way.

Well, you do have to consider the value of enjoying something of your own design and making.
rlitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:24 PM   #5057
Conor

thanks Jack! Lol at modding the furniture, sounds about right for you
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #5058
Ipassgas

I would have been disappointed if he hadn't!
Ipassgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #5059
mnwebb

Jack,

Inspiring and beautifully planned, an inspiration for certain!

About the Vestil lift...I understand that you found it for a great price but do you have any fears that the brand isn't highly regarded? I, also, have an air-cooled car and have been looking into flush mount lifts but I fear getting one that may not hold up over time.
Thanks! - Wilson
mnwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #5060
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

mnwebb, I haven't heard of issues with Vestil products -- have you? They're an old, family-owned company from Indiana. Mine has performed without a glitch.