Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #41
PassnThru

Default Re: The 12-Gauge Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51rider View Post
Jack,
Saw this cabinet & my first thought was 'this would go great in Jack's garage'

I think it was at this point that I finally realised that I'm a garge addict!

Gedore are a German company manufacture quality cabinets & also some tools.

Postage would be a downer...
Yes - when you start shopping for other people's garages you probably have a problem.
There are, of course, worse problems to have
PassnThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #42
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

It looks like Gedore makes some nice stuff. CNC cut metal pegboard is a nice touch. I like the drawers, too.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #43
02hawk

I love the garage you crafted....writers are very organized....just a note on safety...I would never keep an LP tank in doors or in a cabinet...They do leak. Get it out side. If it is empty still keep it out side
02hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #44
BetterDays

Jack,

Perhaps I missed it elsewhere, but is there a fail safe in place to prevent the bench from crashing down while working on it?
BetterDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #45
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02hawk View Post
...never keep an LP tank in doors or in a cabinet...They do leak. Get it out side. If it is empty still keep it out side
Agreed. I was waiting for someone to notice that. In cleaning up, I put it on that shelf, but I've already moved the tank outside. I might run a longer line in from outside for future use, so the tank can always be in a place where a leak would be less likely to knock down my garage walls. I'll always turn the gas off at the tank, not (only) at the heater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterDays View Post
Perhaps I missed it elsewhere, but is there a fail safe in place to prevent the bench from crashing down while working on it?
Which one? Both benches are pretty secure, in my opinion. With the wood one, the legs fit in between those blocks which are secured to the wall. You couldn't kick them out, and my car can pull in and out without touching them -- I'd have to hit the table top first, and then hit the legs.

On the steel table, the work surface would hang a little lower if the legs came out, but it would have to tear out all five sets of wood screws to go too far past its normal working position. And again, with the weight of the table and the legs (and the 200# magnets that help them snap into position), you wouldn't be able to kick or push the legs out of position very easily. A car driving under the table would do it, but at that point I've got some big problems no matter what happens with the bench top.

I've thought about using a winch to raise and lower the table, since it's pretty heavy. But I haven't done it yet. Gravity (and the magnets) mean the legs swing and lock into position as the table lowers. I think if you saw it in person, you wouldn't think an additional cable or brace is necessary.

But then, anything can be made safer. I'll think about it.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #46
BetterDays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
Which one? Both benches are pretty secure, in my opinion. With the wood one, the legs fit in between those blocks which are secured to the wall. You couldn't kick them out, and my car can pull in and out without touching them -- I'd have to hit the table top first, and then hit the legs.

On the steel table, the work surface would hang a little lower if the legs came out, but it would have to tear out all five sets of wood screws to go too far past its normal working position. And again, with the weight of the table and the legs (and the 200# magnets that help them snap into position), you wouldn't be able to kick or push the legs out of position very easily. A car driving under the table would do it, but at that point I've got some big problems no matter what happens with the bench top.
Just trying to fail safe the table from going past 90 (level work surface), especially while working on it. That is one advantage of the flip up is that the hinge should only open so far (by design) and then complete failure may take over.

I am thinking maybe something on the ground to put the legs into or at least secure to the floor.

Of course, a car hitting them will cause failure. I am just thinking about stops to prevent the top from going past the designed 90
BetterDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #47
E.rodz

vey nice way to take advantage of the space that you have.a mans garage will never be done just keep evolving.keep up the great work.
http://www.ErodzCustoms.com
Follow the Belair Build!!
http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...ner&highlight=
E.rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #48
stewart

Jack

You're definitely OCD, buts that's not always bad. How do you work on that anvil, it looks like it slides out from the wall? But is it rigid?
stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #49
ddrewyor

Jack,
awesome layout and use of space. The car is ok too

Dave
________
SUZUKI SATRIA

Last edited by ddrewyor; 03-05-2011 at 04:51 AM.
ddrewyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #50
Vernmotor

Jack I just love what you have done with the place !
Old 02-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #51
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Thanks, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart View Post
How do you work on that anvil, it looks like it slides out from the wall? But is it rigid?
I took the plywood off and put in a steel base that mounts to two of the wall studs. It's pretty rigid, but I wouldn't do crazy pounding on it. I keep a vise in that receiver more often than the small anvil. It comes in handy with the fold-down welding table.

I've got a bigger anvil that I'm hoping to clean up and put on a regular-height base. I'm not going to do any work on hot metal, but I'd like something to bend or flatten a piece on now and then. Currently, the larger anvil is sitting on a small furniture dolly. You can see it in the lower part of this picture.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #52
rustbucket49

Out of curiosity, I took a peek at e-Bay for Strong Hold cabinets. All I got was a bunch of hair spray.....
Old 02-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #53
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

There's a place out here in California that buys up inventory from machine shops and re-sells it on ebay. They sold dozens of them this past year. But you can go long stretches without any showing up at all.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #54
Dan in Pasadena

Out of curiosity Jack, where are you getting your misc metals from? Like the 1" square tubing for that welding bench, sheet metal, etc? I'm looking for a cheap (preferably close to free!) source for 16 or 18 guage sheet metal to make some patches on the firewall and floor of my old truck, and of course I'm thinking about making a welding bench too.

Hey, your OCD is slipping - you haven't painted the legs of the table in the photo above! Take care, Dan
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #55
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

That's true -- those legs would look nice in green, wouldn't they?

The photo above shows the table from toddler's-eye-view, and was possibly going to lead to some stitches one day. So I took 10 minutes and rounded the corners on it this weekend.

It's safer now. Looks better, too.

I've found the best prices on steel at Bobco, which is on Alameda just east of downtown. I've only bought full pieces from them, but they do have remnants and stuff. You might be able to find better prices at a junk yard or recycler, but Bobco was by far the cheapest source when I was looking for materials for my fence.

Their web site is pretty terrible to navigate, but you can call them directly. I've always dealt with a guy named Phil, there.

http://www.bobcometal.com/
(877) 952-6226
2000 S. Alameda St.
Los Angeles, CA 90058

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 02-08-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #56
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Jack.

Green? I thought you'd probably paint them the same dark machine gray as the table saw stand. Besides, that will be availabe in a rattle can.

P.S. Smart move on the table corners. This sounds stupid unless you've been the parent of a little one: Spend some time on your knees crawling around and you'll see all sorts of hazards you'd never see otherwise.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #57
mustangmccance

I like the way you have maximized the space you have. I have moved three times since I got out of school and got a real job. the first garage I built was 24 x 32 for one car and a work shop. every time I move I decide my shop wasn't big enough. the second house I owned I built a 42 x 40. this time I built a 40 x 60 and every time it just fills up. I never found this site until just recently and now my shop is starting to get organized. I am building cabinets and work benches and storage. I am trying to learn from guys like you how to make better use of my space because I have to park 5 vehicles in this building. plus have space to do some work. anyway I love what you have done with your garage.

"if it's not broke I haven't fixed it yet"

Welcome to the Doghouse!: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=44061
mustangmccance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #58
jarel

Great garage...loving the color on those cabinets!.
jarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #59
6 Grrrs

Nice garage. Also Nice Porsche.

1990 Chevrolet 454SS - Accel DFI/T56 6 speed
1966 Pontiac GTO - Tripower/4spd
2002 Honda VTX1800C
6 Grrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:07 AM   #60
Kent Skinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
I've found the best prices on steel at Bobco, which is on Alameda just east of downtown. I've only bought full pieces from them, but they do have remnants and stuff. You might be able to find better prices at a junk yard or recycler, but Bobco was by far the cheapest source when I was looking for materials for my fence.

Their web site is pretty terrible to navigate, but you can call them directly. I've always dealt with a guy named Phil, there.
I'd almost forgotten about BOBCO. We always called "BOBCO 3rd World Metals". This is the place where guys would drive through the parking lot with a forklift - loaded, with the mast at full height, bouncing over the train tracks, with materials over customers and cars. I would never let my guard down while shopping there. I'm amazed I never saw a horrible accident.

Great prices though. I wish there was something similar in the bay area.

As of two or three years ago they had a big remnant bin, and scales inside.

They had the best prices on common stuff (1" 16G square tubing, 1x1x1/8 angle, etc) but it was always a bit rusty.

Kent
Kent Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote