Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #1001
empeg9000

Default Re: The 12-Gauge Garage

Hey Jack how do you paint your cabinets? Are you spray painting them or just using a brush and roller?

I like the picture of your boy. That's a riot. I remember the first time I helped my father change the engine on his old Ford pickup. I was probably only 10.
empeg9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:43 AM   #1002
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Thanks guys. (And thanks for the compliment, Milt and Dan.) I took everything in to the machine shop today. Now I've got to clean things back up and wait a while.

empeg9000, I rattle-canned the red toolboxes, but everything else is quick and dirty -- brushes and rollers and latex house paint. It gives the cabinets a surface texture you can see in this big picture of the phone. If I were a perfectionist, I'd approach it differently. But the nice thing about doing it this way is that if you hit it with a piece of steel or something, you can just grab a disposable brush and touch up the mark.

Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #1003
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

And here's something kind of strange that relates to the car. A skateboard company in San Francisco did a limited run of skateboards with a graphic of my old 911 on it. I haven't seen one in person yet, but they sent a picture of the first one.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #1004
914forme

Jack, I use an easy car lift on my 914, and have found hockey pucks work great for other cars. My Jetta IVs would backup on the lift, creep backwards if you will. The Pucks solved that problem, while not as cheap as wood, they also don't split, like wood does.

BTW, love the boards, you need to add one to the garage.
914forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #1005
clutch93

Did you say your Brother came down to help with the engine? Man you guys look similar for just being friends. Anyway, glad to hear there's not a ton of damage in the engine. it's such a crazy design seeing all the individual cylinder heads, it's like a motorcycle!

Also i'm digging your new tools, i was just thinking how i'd like to move UP to some more craftsman screw drivers from my odd ball assortment. I guess not quite the same caliber as what you upgraded to, but when i use one as a pry bar and snap the tip off, it's only a quick drive to sears to get me a new one!

Anyway, I just realized this is my first post on your thread, I've read through the entire thing before and I always check the updates, but for some reason never commented. Must have been too awestruck. So, I guess i'll finally compliment you on all of your ingenuity and hard work. You're garage is crazy awesome and truly deserves all of the praise it's received from the guys and gals on the GJ and the coverage it's gotten in multiple magazines. Great job man!

BTW, i know you said your a writer, what exactly do you write? TV Shows? Movies? Documentaries? Just curious, if you can't divulge because of contracts or whatever I understand.
clutch93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #1006
Squankum

Jack, when my eyes first caught those skateboard decks, I thought they might be door sill plates! That would be a neat California kustom thing for a CA 911, perhaps? Maybe without a pic of the 911 on it. OTOH, it wouldn't be the "harsh and austere" we old timey German car coots usually revel in. (Well, maybe a dark mahogany...)

Knipex... I had the bug put in my ear years ago by a friend, but it didn't sink in. This board got me rolling on a Knipex fetish now. Ohhh, German metallurgy... German production facility... they haven't even set up shop in Eastern Europe, let alone Asia!

Hmmm.... a sassy robot hit man? Maybe something like C3P0, but slightly less gay, but still very polite and well-heeled, and then, when you least exepct it, he's bludgeoning people with a crowbar.

Or,

No Country for Old Robots.
Squankum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #1007
787B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914forme View Post
The Pucks solved that problem, while not as cheap as wood, they also don't split, like wood does.
I'm not sure pucks aren't cheaper. Bought eight NHL-regulation pucks from Hockey Giant for my mid-rise lift at $0.89 each. Way better than wood.

http://www.hockeygiant.com/regicehocpuc2.html
787B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #1008
Barkingmadspeedshop

Nicely put together.
Barkingmadspeedshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #1009
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Thanks, guys. Tyson and I could be brothers, pretty much -- even if you don't count appearances. We're very similar -- except that I'd have to say that he's more generous with his time. But then, there's not much I can do to help him. Nobody needs help with writing stories. When it comes to the important stuff, he knows a lot more than me.

And Clutch93, I write for movies. Mostly rewriting other peoples' work. It's not as glamorous as some writing gigs, but it pays the bills.

I'm not sure where the skateboard will go. But it kind of feels like the car deserves to have it up somewhere. We'll have to see.

The surprising thing about this picture (which was taken about 15 minutes ago) isn't that the place is a little messy. It's that every piece of the engine, intake, exhaust and all the related pieces are now out of the garage. The case, crank, pistons and cylinders are at the machine shop. But I found a place for everything else, somehow. I needed to, since I wanted to do some grinding and cutting without having to worry about metal dust getting to the insides of my engine parts. The aluminum piece I cut and ground down to shape is on the island bench in the picture. It used to hold the AC compressor in place, but since I don't run air conditioning any longer I took this opportunity to cut away some dead weight.

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 06-09-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #1010
LLWillysfan

This might be my favorite photo yet of the 12 gauge garage. Very cool.
LLWillysfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #1011
Stuart in MN

This brings up the question: did you notice any difference in how the car balances on the lift with the engine out?
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #1012
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

It doesn't seem any different at all. I tried moving it on the lift surface, now that it's only about 1900 pounds -- no luck. I might dig up a strong piece of steel and check the new balancing point to see if it matches with the math I'd done previously.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #1013
Stuart in MN

That's good to hear, I remember the question came up in the discussion while you were installing it.
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #1014
1Garageman

Ok, here is probably a dumb question, but I have no knowledge of lifts, except they go up, LOL :-). How long is it safe to leave you car up there on the lift? I mean will the lift ever give a little and slowly start to come down or anything? Does it have safety devices on it to keep it from doing that? Probably stupid question, I was just wondering.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:09 AM   #1015
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Many (but not all) have stops that hold the platform in place and allow you to relieve the hydraulic pressure and have the lift rest on solid steel. With good hydraulics, you shouldn't see any slow loss of pressure. But a physical stop protects you from sudden hydraulic failure, which could mean the crash coming down on someone underneath it.

Mine is designed to hold a load with just hydraulics for long stretches of time. Still, I have a physical stop as well -- it prevents lowering once the lift is raised even if there are mutlple failures in the hydraulic system. My table is also designed for 30 minutes of non-stop lifting and lowering -- which you wouldn't typically see in automotive service use.

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 06-11-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #1016
1Garageman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
Many (but not all) have stops that hold the platform in place and allow you to relieve the hydraulic pressure and have the lift rest on solid steel. With good hydraulics, you shouldn't see any slow loss of pressure. But a physical stop protects you from sudden hydraulic failure, which could mean the crash coming down on someone underneath it.

Mine is designed to hold a load with just hydraulics for long stretches of time. Still, I have a physical stop as well -- it prevents lowering once the lift is raised even if there are mutlple failures in the hydraulic system. My table is also designed for 30 minutes of non-stop lifting and lowering -- which you wouldn't typically see in automotive service use.
OK, thanks for explaining that. I just have NO expericence with them and I am very curious. Sounds like yours is very well designed then and safe!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #1017
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

I believe mine is safe -- but I'm taking a bigger chance than most by re-purposing a tool originally designed for another type of work.

(And truth be told, EVERYONE thinks their lift is safe... right up until the moment it fails.)
Old 06-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #1018
Boost Creep

i bet that engine would be fun in a dune buggy
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #1019
nmk_61802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
Here's a thing with me. As soon as I discovered this board, I liked it. But the one place I was a little iffy on, right from the beginning, was the tool section. It seemed that some of the guys in there were a little bit precious about their tools -- almost like exotic brands and tool truck products were a kind of fetish.

But with a lot of things, the reason it bugged me is probably because there's a little of it in me, too. Even though I have a lot of Harbor Freight in my garage, I definitely can not cast any first stones. And it got worse today, after the mail man delivered the last of a recent ebay buying streak on my part. Here's an illustration.

This is my pegboard over my main bench. I keep the tools there that I tend to grab frequently. Early on, there were some Sears screwdrivers and Harbor Freight wrenches. Nothing fancy by any stretch.

Then I went and spent a little time on the tool area side of things. That led to some new screwdrivers (they were on sale!), and then some fancy-pants German wrenches (they're really cool!). I'm now thinking I don't even need adjustable wrenches up there because of these adjustable Knipex things.

So here's the same pegboard today:

And here's the brands called out. I'm proud to say my no-class-at-all metric/SAE dogbone wrench is still up there. But the rest of the board has gotten a much more European flavor, now.

I got most of the stuff pretty cheap, but that's still expensive by Harbor Freight standards. And the Mac wrenches are actually made in China, I'm pretty sure. But they definitely have a lot better fit and finish than the HF ones did.

I guess you could call it 'tool attitude creep' the way the tools up there have slowly been displaced with better ones.

But do all your tools have to be the fancy kind? (Or in my case, apparently, the fancy kind with red handles.) I've got to stop reading the threads over in the tool section that talk about the 'best' of any tool category. It gets expensive.
Aren't those stubbies actually Wiha?
nmk_61802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #1020
ZTFab

Looking good Jack.

I have convinced myself that a scissor lift is more ideal for my size shop vs my current Twin post Weaver lift. I will be selling it to install a scissor lift (a larger one than yours since I work on my truck) in the same manner as you did.

...and congrats on the other new addition.

My Fab Shop
ZTFab is offline   Reply With Quote