Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
rdougan

Default Townhouse garage in The Netherlands

Hey folks.

I've been lurking at all fantastic garages here over the past few months. It's a great source of inspiration for our project.

I'm from Northern Ireland but currently live in Haarlem, Netherlands. Our house has 3 floors: ground floor with garage and large space at the rear, 2nd floor with living/kitchen, toilet and garden. And 3rd floor with bedrooms and a bathroom.

Here is a few pictures from when we my wife and I bought the house last November:

Front of the house:

Garage and large room at the rear:

Living area, kitchen:

Garden:

And the floor plans:

The ground floor has always been some kind of business/garage, so it has always been cold and completely separate.

Our plans are to properly insulate the garage and add three rooms: a toilet, a workshop and utility room. Then at the back have a large living area and kitchen. There will be another staircase installed at the back of the house as well. And then some roof lights above the kitchen (going into the garden). The spaces will be divided by a large glass wall with a glass door.

We both love cars and motorcycles, and I really love the idea of making the garage part of the living space. So the garage and kitchen/living area will be styled similar and have the same flooring.

I started the work just after Christmas, and have progressed nicely. I'm a software architect, but like to think I'm decent at a few manual trades (maybe form growing up on a farm) - so I'm doing the majority of the work myself.

I'll start off with the plans and 3D drawing of what we envision:

We originally were talking to an Architect, but we ended up creating all the plans ourselves.

More coming soon..

Last edited by rdougan; 03-25-2014 at 12:47 PM.
rdougan is offline   Reply With Quote