Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2014, 01:23 AM   #41
rixtrix1

Default Re: Townhouse garage in The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Backyard Builder View Post
Cool build thread, it is so interesting to see how things are done in other countries. You are making great progress, keep up the good work.
Ditto! Thanks for sharing your project.

Small, Messy Carport to Garage
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...carport+garage
My fab table thread: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...=1#post6191211

1966 Chevelle Malibu drag car. Rebuilding for track/street
1989 Chevy 3/4T Suburban 454; tows anything ,eats gas
1995 GMC G2500 conversion van, to haul our wheelchair boys
2000 Chevy S10 ext. cab, DD
rixtrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:55 AM   #42
Hostyle

Nice project(s) in a lovely city! And close to CPZ

I'm not surprised that nothing is straight or level. Having done some work in my grandma's house form around the 1900's (in Weesp) I know what you're going through, LOL.
Hostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #43
andyaus

Great work, I love making old new again
Old 05-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #44
Arps

Cool build! I cant wait to see it progress.
Arps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #45
Dirk Thelen

This brings back a lot of memories, itches, aches and pains..
A couple of years ago I restored a similar townhouse for a friend of mine. Those houses are anything but plumb and straight but than again they are over 100 years old.

Good luck with the rest of the work

PS. be sure to keep an eye out for lead piping in the house. This was common for a long time in The Netherlands.
Dirk Thelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:45 AM   #46
Nordic

you need a plasterboard prop!

I did my own boarding in my 1902 house with one, much easier.

and great work, love a house with character
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #47
rdougan

OK, so I'm back.

I've had a lot of real work the past few months which meant the house work got put on the back burner. I was also getting a bit burnt out if I'm honest. I was working on the house for up to 8 hours a day, and then had to do real work as well. I work for a US company, from home, so it means I normally work in the evenings. After 6 months of this, I was burnt out.

But I'm fresh again now and getting back into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Thelen View Post
PS. be sure to keep an eye out for lead piping in the house. This was common for a long time in The Netherlands.
Thanks, I have been. Already replaced one. Super heavy stuff. Got quite a chuck of cash for it..

First challenge was to finish the main hallway. Both my wife and I were getting a bit sick of it, as the stairs have been in a half finished state for about 4 months. I don't have a picture of how it was, but you can see part of it here:

There was carpet before, and then paint under neath that. It was a horrible job removing the glue/varnish paint. It literally took days. And getting into all the corners was a nightmare. We eventually got it done though, and gave it a few coats of white paint.

Then was time for the hallway floor. The previous owners must of had cats as the corners were pretty nasty. The smell was terrible when we lifted the old plastic floor tiles. I ended up ripping out some of the plaster around the floor and redoing it. I also put primer down on the floor to try and stop the smell. It seems to have worked.

First row of tiles:

And the finished job:

I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out. This is only my 2nd attempt at tiling, and it was a lot easier than before. I think it was because the floor was already perfectly flat. Or maybe small tiles.

Yesterday I started working on the garage wall again. It is a lot of work to strip the plaster, but I think it'll be worth it. A few bricks actually completed came out, so I will have to replace them. I'm unsure whether or not I will re-point the wall. I kind of like it how it is. But maybe I should anyway.

This is a picture of about 1/3 of the wall. As you can see I've got the bulk of the plaster off. Once the entire wall is cleared of plaster, I will have to go over it again and clean it up. Perhaps with a wire brush. I will have to experiment.

I've also struggled to find a suitable sealer here in Netherlands. Everywhere I look there is solutions in the UK and US, but nothing I can find here. Dutch people appear to just leave it as it is, which is a huge nono for me as it is super dusty. People are recommending PVA, but even that is a challenge to find here (especially with limited Dutch skills ) - perhaps someone on here would be kind enough to help.
rdougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #48
melle

I would hose the brickwork down, scrub it (with hydrochloric acid solution if needed) and thoroughly rinse again. I wouldn't seal it, but I'm Dutch. Not sure about pointing, if it looks good I would leave it as it is as I can't think of any technical arguments for doing it.

Nice project by the way.
melle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:12 AM   #49
0150carmac

great project you have there cant wait to see it all finished are you going to install a 2 post ramp in there to work on your car looks like you have a good space for it

My Single Garage Build In Scotland

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=248484
0150carmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:42 AM   #50
rdougan

Quote:
Originally Posted by melle View Post
I would hose the brickwork down, scrub it (with hydrochloric acid solution if needed) and thoroughly rinse again. I wouldn't seal it, but I'm Dutch. Not sure about pointing, if it looks good I would leave it as it is as I can't think of any technical arguments for doing it.
Thanks! I'll see how I feel once the entire thing is done and cleaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0150carmac View Post
great project you have there cant wait to see it all finished are you going to install a 2 post ramp in there to work on your car looks like you have a good space for it
I'd love to at some point, but I wouldn't want to ruin the floor. I'll see when the time comes. Until then, the car doesn't get much love, other than a monthly track day. Then back to the garage..

Old 10-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #51
Ajustable

Very cool reno, great to see builds on GJ from other countries, like they say, I love what you are doing to the place. Have Fun.

Chris
Ajustable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #52
Ajustable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdougan View Post

This is a picture of about 1/3 of the wall. As you can see I've got the bulk of the plaster off. Once the entire wall is cleared of plaster, I will have to go over it again and clean it up. Perhaps with a wire brush. I will have to experiment.

I've also struggled to find a suitable sealer here in Netherlands. Everywhere I look there is solutions in the UK and US, but nothing I can find here. Dutch people appear to just leave it as it is, which is a huge nono for me as it is super dusty. People are recommending PVA, but even that is a challenge to find here (especially with limited Dutch skills ) - perhaps someone on here would be kind enough to help.
I was going to suggest sand blasting the bricks after you have finished clearing the plaster. re pointing would be a good idea as well. Then maybe a concrete sealer to reduce the dust. sure adds character to the room.
Ajustable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #53
4AudiQ

You are doing an immense amount of work.
I will be following you.

PNW
"Emmanuel"
Roger
http://4audiq.webs.com/
[url]https://vimeo.com/user8029457/videos/[url]
4AudiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #54
BJ42LX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4AudiQ View Post
You are doing an immense amount of work.
True that!

I've been laying hardwood floors in my foyer and kitchen. I'm doing it in stages and it's taken me almost three months!
Old 10-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #55
Madhatter10-6

What a project!
Madhatter10-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #56
95riosnake

I love the character this garage/house has, such a cool space. I'll be eagerly watching for updates!

Vintage stuff and money pit mustangs.
95riosnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:41 AM   #57
tacostand

Thanks for a great thread on such a fantastic home and garage. I love your project and congratulations on making great progress.
I would avoid a wire brush if possible. A strong plastic bristled brush (perhaps with a bucket of water) will help to remove plaster dust residue and perhaps some of the thinner areas of plaster left on the brick face.
With respect to one of the comments, I have to say under no circumstances should you sand blast.
For anyone else reading this, bricks are analogous to clay cakes baked in an oven. The sand media will aggressively degrade the outer hard shell of the baked clay and then expose its porous inner core to future moisture, humidity, etc. ultimately destroying the brick.
In cases (this looks like one) where you can drain your work, you may be surprised at how well pressure washing with water will clean up the wall. Using the minimal pressure necessary and/or spraying at an oblique angle will help insure you don't do more harm than good. If you go that route, be sure to allow the wall ample drying time (in days) before sealing any part of it.
Another alternative would be blasting, but using a softer media. Depending upon availability, things like crushed walnut shells (bagged and sold for media blasting) can provide a terrific result.
In terms of sealing, many of the jobs I worked on in the past had people using polyurethane cut (diluted) by water. Doing a test on a less visible section of the wall will allow you to determine if you like the sheen/gloss/whatever finish it dries to- or if you need to adjust. For application purposes, the easiest thing I've seen is a hand held pump sprayer (typically used for gardening) filled with the poly/water mix.
Good luck and keep the pics coming. Love it!

Dave
tacostand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:44 AM   #58
rdougan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacostand View Post
Thanks for a great thread on such a fantastic home and garage. I love your project and congratulations on making great progress.
I would avoid a wire brush if possible. A strong plastic bristled brush (perhaps with a bucket of water) will help to remove plaster dust residue and perhaps some of the thinner areas of plaster left on the brick face.
With respect to one of the comments, I have to say under no circumstances should you sand blast.
For anyone else reading this, bricks are analogous to clay cakes baked in an oven. The sand media will aggressively degrade the outer hard shell of the baked clay and then expose its porous inner core to future moisture, humidity, etc. ultimately destroying the brick.
In cases (this looks like one) where you can drain your work, you may be surprised at how well pressure washing with water will clean up the wall. Using the minimal pressure necessary and/or spraying at an oblique angle will help insure you don't do more harm than good. If you go that route, be sure to allow the wall ample drying time (in days) before sealing any part of it.
Another alternative would be blasting, but using a softer media. Depending upon availability, things like crushed walnut shells (bagged and sold for media blasting) can provide a terrific result.
In terms of sealing, many of the jobs I worked on in the past had people using polyurethane cut (diluted) by water. Doing a test on a less visible section of the wall will allow you to determine if you like the sheen/gloss/whatever finish it dries to- or if you need to adjust. For application purposes, the easiest thing I've seen is a hand held pump sprayer (typically used for gardening) filled with the poly/water mix.
Good luck and keep the pics coming. Love it!

Dave
Thanks for the advice!

But unfortunately a little too late. I started using a wire brush on an angle grinder and it appears to work well. Removes any of the plaster I missed with the SDS drill. And it doesn't appear to be damaging the brick. I'm being very gentle though.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:29 AM   #59
tacostand

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdougan View Post
Thanks for the advice!

But unfortunately a little too late. I started using a wire brush on an angle grinder and it appears to work well. Removes any of the plaster I missed with the SDS drill. And it doesn't appear to be damaging the brick. I'm being very gentle though.
Gentle is the key. You don't want to scratch/scarify the surface of the brick. What about a brass wheel (brass wires) or something softer than steel wire?
Best Regards,
Dave
tacostand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:26 AM   #60
rdougan

Here are a few snaps of the bricks. Not all of them have been cleaned yet. I will have to repoint at least some of them as a) bricks have fallen out or b) the bricks are just about to fall out.