Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #5021
bczygan

Default Re: The 12-Gauge Garage

Jack,

What bender is that, that you used for the bench?

Bill
Old 03-20-2017, 12:30 PM   #5022
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Harbor Freight Roll Bender with a Harbor Freight pipe threader turning it.

I bought extra dies for it from Swag Offroad.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #5023
dgithens1

Watched your video this weekend, what a great place to work in, amazingly well thought out!
dgithens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #5024
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Thanks!

For more-recent thread visitors, here's a link for this new page.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #5025
Fatandre

Great vid Jack.
How heavy btw is your 911?
Fatandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #5026
hobie1dog

I must have missed a reply to my question. What stereo and speakers do you use?

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe- nowhere else could things be this screwed up.

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
hobie1dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #5027
dchance

Loved the playhouse and the bench. I think your daughter has you wrapped around her thumb, which is a good thing.

Have enjoyed the thread.

Dwight
dchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:15 AM   #5028
balthor

Awesome work!
balthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:30 AM   #5029
ajohno

Fantastic garage and video Jack. I also like having everything in its place.
ajohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #5030
bagged89s10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
Thanks!

For more-recent thread visitors, here's a link for this new page.

Great video! Your garage has been the inspiration to mine but I'm nowhere near as organized as yours yet. Hopefully one day.
bagged89s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:56 PM   #5031
G20-Budo

Jack,

I enjoyed the video, and how you told the story of building the garage and it's functions.. Good stuff! As I've looked at your garage over the years, I really do the see the utility in it.
G20-Budo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #5032
drivesitfar

Jack: i can't believe i haven't made one post on your thread. i owe you a lot of WELL DONES over the years and your recent video is just another one.

1) stronghold cabinets and cutting them up and re designing them for your use.
2) general garage layout
3) deck
4) playhouse (over the top cool)
5) new video

just to name a few that i can remember. i guess if you had more vintage tools i'd probably have more to say, but at times you do leave me SPEACHLESS which as you can see by how many posts i have isn't easy.

keep up the great work and again WELL DONE SIR!!
drivesitfar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:05 PM   #5033
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Thanks guys -- and especially drivesitfar.

On the other side, #3 contains a piece that I haven't done well. Or maybe it falls into the 'fool me once, shame on you, fool me every April in the same way, shame on me' category.

I built a deck for our place four years ago. I splurged for Brazilian hardwood for it, and in almost every way, I've been very happy with that decision. I've never even had to sand the stuff, and the kids can run around on it barefoot all day and never get a sliver.

But the Penofin (rosewood oil) I stained it with has the annoying problem of going to a flat, dark color after maybe six months of exposure to the rain and sun. I oiled the wood in 2013, and then have repeated that every April since then. It's not a huge amount of work -- I just move the furniture off, mop it with an oxalic acid wash, and re-apply a coat of the Penofin stuff. This is what it looked like when I finished it.

Eventually, it got a little darker, which I was fine with.

But here's a snapshot of every April's ugliness and subsequent 'refresh.'

But after year four, I've decided it's time to try something other than Penofin. So today I tested a new stain made by TWP on an old cut-off. Here it is sitting on the currently-grayed deck, which suffered even more this year (I think) because of our record rains.

My question: does anyone out there have experience with TWP's stains? I don't figure things can get any worse than with the Penofin. And I understand that outdoor wood will need a freshening up once a year -- but I'd like it to look good for a longer piece of that year if it's at all do-able.

Advice?
Old 03-30-2017, 07:24 PM   #5034
rlitman

First off, Jack, as usual, your spaces look magazine cover / HGTV (strike that, too good for HGTV) ready. I remember wowing over the that original picture of when you applied the Penofin.

I would suspect that the graying is from two factors.
1) Pigment bleaching from UV. The red dyes will weaken over time, and you lose color saturation. You could consider applying a UV blocking treatment to your canopy.
2) Mildew. That's the black stuff you're bleaching. Mildew does not degrade the wood, but it feeds on many oil based stains. It's a surface condition, and you can reduce it by adding mildewcide to your stain. Something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/M-1-1-5-o...1-5B/202967359

But before doing that, I'd give the 800 number on the back of the can a call. They might have some useful advice. Especially because, when it comes to coatings you need to be careful about compatibility issues before you mix something in.

As for bleach, I would suggest you try Oxiclean before going to oxalic acid. It's a little less harsh (less damaging to the wood), and should accomplish everything you need.

For my own outdoor wood projects, I've had good luck with Cetol. I stained my kids' playground once, in 2011, and it still hasn't gotten that gray, though it is in pretty bad need of a re-stain since last year. Can't say I have any experience with TWP products. Sorry.

Last edited by rlitman; 03-30-2017 at 07:31 PM.
rlitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:44 PM   #5035
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Thanks for that. I just looked it up, and the Penofin I've used for the past four years boasts 99% UV protection (via 'trans-oxide pigments') and a 'high-grade mildewcide' for mold/mildew protection. Of course, they wouldn't be the first manufacturer to promise something they weren't actually delivering.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:15 PM   #5036
rlitman

Well, for UV protection, you can get SPF 8 sunblock, or you can get 85.
And a little mildewcide prevents mildew from consuming the oils in the stain, but if enough mildewcide is used that it leaches out on the surface and kills mildew growing there, remember that it is also getting on your feet.

It's all a little give and take too, because UV also kills mildew. So blocking more UV may protect the red dye, but speed up the blackening. The north facing side of my solid PVC fence grows more mildew than any other side. Though the parts of that fence nearest my rose bushes stay sparklingly white because of the fungicides I spray on the roses.

There is also the question of what the mildew is growing on. Even if the oil stain itself is mildew resistant, dust and dirt carried down by wind and rain can deposit enough to allow mildew to get a foothold.

My gut tells me that if you can deal with the UV fading, the mildew issue can be dealt with by just cleaning, rather than a cleaning followed by re-staining.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:42 PM   #5037
Ipassgas

Jack, forgive me if this is off putting, but I just got a lift that'll need paint.

Somewhere, once upon a time, you showed a blue that complimented J.O.G (Tarragon).
I can't find that post. I'd like to paint the lift that blue, for two reasons.

1. Because I liked it.
2. As an homage to the 12 gauge garage, doing more than people expect is possible.

Last edited by Ipassgas; 04-01-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Ipassgas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:39 AM   #5038
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

rlitman, it's odd, the whole deck is covered with shade fabric, so there's reduced UV to begin with. The blackening definitely seems related to the rain. But maybe that's what's feeding the mildew/mold and whatever poison is in the Penofin is just not the right one for the stuff I've got growing -- although I've read about other Penofin users experiencing the same blackening. Some of them attribute it to tannins in the wood. But I simply don't know.

I'm doing some tests with a couple of different stains now, and I'll run some long-term tests in parallel with whatever I end up putting on the deck itself.

Ipassgas, it's not off-putting at all. I'm flattered. But I don't remember a blue I matched to the Tarragon. Can you give me some more context? It might trigger my old brain to recall it. My Vestil lift was originally blue, but I took care of that.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:11 AM   #5039
Outlawmws

Jack, I think you are on to something with it being mold related rather than sun damage. Generally the sun bleaches wood. I don't see it darkening it. The fabric could be contributing two ways: Shade and higher humidity...

My long fence, while only cedar, is bleached near white on one side, and is black with mold on the shade side as an example.

Outlaw's Camp Gear Thread
Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale
- For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)
Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback
"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:21 AM   #5040
rlitman

Ok, here's a question. If you scrub the deck down with Oxiclean or TSP, does the blackening come off, or do you really need to bleach it?

Tannins in some woods can react with iron to leave a black stain that is fairly permanent, but can be bleached with oxalic acid. However, that's something I've only seen take streaky patterns where water runs off of steel onto wood. I've not heard of this causing an overall dark cast on wood.

I think you'd have more luck with a percarbonate cleaner, as that does a better job at actually killing mildew.