Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #21
bdamico

Default Re: Blue Saber Cabinet Install / Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdd1 View Post

Just a quick FYI, the New Age cabinets are welded. IIRC, only the RTA series is not (probably obviously).
that was actually the point i was trying to convey, so i edited
bdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #22
cdd1

bostonbmw, here are some shots I got tonight.

cdd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #23
c7fx

Those look really good also
c7fx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #24
DEEDDUDE

Thanks for the pics guys. Now Iím trying to figure out which brand to go with. I started a thread a while back asking about the New Age cabinets and got very little response. Both sets look great. Bdamico, Iíll be looking forward to your review. Thanks again to you and cdd1 for the pictures.
DEEDDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #25
sscustom

looks awsome!
sscustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #26
Bostonbmw

thanks for the photos they look great.
Bostonbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #27
bdamico

It's been a while since I was able to make progress. But I finally got back to the garage this weekend. I finished installing the cabinet frames and doors. Still have to level all the doors and add some handles, etc. but almost there.

Someone has asked me how I got the legs lower on the base drawer cabinets. The camar legs come in three pieces: the part that mounts to the cabinet; the leg; and the cap to the leg. All I did was remove the leg part and it worked out to be a good height for me.

A major thing that has held me up is the electric work. I've only got two outlets in my garage so I had lots of fishing to do to put a outlet strip in. I ended up getting the four-foot hardwire outlet strip from x1up.com. I considered tripp lite but didn't want to deal with the almond color.

The other thing I did was to install lights over the work bench. Saber has done a good job leaving about a 1.5 inch tray to recess lights. I decided to get led lights from superbrightleds.com. I got three of their high power rigid light strips

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...-fixtures/622/

These are only $24 a pop and the power supply was only another $20.

I hotglued them to the bottom of the cabinet and drilled some holes in the cabinets to link the lights. I hardwired the power supply (yes I need to go back and clean this up) and put in an insteon switch to control them (which ties in to my automation system for my entire house).

They throw off something like 350 lumens each, which is quite sufficient, and the light matches my fluorescent tubes nicely. (BTW) the light bands reflecting off the stainless work top are only seen on camera for some reason. The lights are quite even with a good spread.

It's really amazing how thin these fixtures are. They'll be great if they hold up.
That's all for now. I have alligator board to go in next, some remaining pieces for the cabinets, and then I'll be done with this phase of the garage makeover. Once again, I really can't say enough how good these cabinets are.

Last edited by bdamico; 11-07-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #28
c7fx

I like the light will need to check them out
c7fx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #29
DEEDDUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdamico View Post
Someone has asked me how I got the legs lower on the base drawer cabinets. The camar legs come in three pieces: the part that mounts to the cabinet; the leg; and the cap to the leg. All I did was remove the leg part and it worked out to be a good height for me.

bdamico, Thanks for the pictures and answering the question about the feet. The cabinets look great.
DEEDDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #30
akdiesel

Those look really good. Nice build.
akdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #31
bdamico

Save for some small details (like aligning all the upper cabinet doors, I just remembered, and the footboard), I finally finished.

I hardwired power into one of the drawers.

I then installed stainless steel pegboard from alligator board. Stuff is ultra shiny and nice. The first set arrived damaged from shipping I guess. I sent them an email and they shipped out a new set no questions asked. Good quality stuff.

I had forgot to mention the worktop in the past. It's a solid piece of wood (I think 1.25" thick) wrapped all around in stainless. Very strong. Very nicely put together. It is a bit wider than the cabinets so it sticks out a bit. I like that.

In any event, here it is all done. Turned out better than I would have imagined.

I don't think I showed an interior on the cabinets before. Lots of storage.

Overall, I don't think you're going to find a better deal for the money. These are really high quality units that look sharp and were designed well. In addition, the owner of Saber has been really good to deal with. That's all for now--soffit cabinets and sink next...

Last edited by bdamico; 11-12-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #32
Geek

Question about the Saber cabinets - looking at their website the handles are all different on your cabinets than the ones they show.

I need locking cabinets - does every cabinet have a lock including the tall ones?

The newage cabinets I was considering only have a locking tool drawer; nothing else locks.

tia,
Ed
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #33
TRWTOW

thinkin new age or saber also thanks for the pics guys
TRWTOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #34
Dorsey

bd - Great info. Long time lurker getting ready to do some upgrades to a four car detached garage. I am going to go with two, 30 inch, 7 foot tall cabinets with 2 one drawer, 2 door base units and a knee space on one side of them and 2 six drawer base cabinets on the other side. Five wall cabinets - the whole thing is 17.5 feet long. Blue like yours with the SS countertops. I talked to the owner of Saber (great guy) and he says they are shifting production from China to Mexico and won't have the 6 drawer units until March. Fine with me as I have to build a stud wall to hang them from and hide some wiring. Will take pictures.
Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #35
bdamico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorsey View Post
bd - Great info. Long time lurker getting ready to do some upgrades to a four car detached garage. I am going to go with two, 30 inch, 7 foot tall cabinets with 2 one drawer, 2 door base units and a knee space on one side of them and 2 six drawer base cabinets on the other side. Five wall cabinets - the whole thing is 17.5 feet long. Blue like yours with the SS countertops. I talked to the owner of Saber (great guy) and he says they are shifting production from China to Mexico and won't have the 6 drawer units until March. Fine with me as I have to build a stud wall to hang them from and hide some wiring. Will take pictures.
Yeah. I had to wait quite a long time but well worth it once I got them.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #36
bdamico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Question about the Saber cabinets - looking at their website the handles are all different on your cabinets than the ones they show.

I need locking cabinets - does every cabinet have a lock including the tall ones?

The newage cabinets I was considering only have a locking tool drawer; nothing else locks.

tia,
Ed
1. The magnum line of red and blue cabinets have these handles unlike in the pictures on the website. Saber has good customer service but should take some time to update its pictures, which would likely help them sell their product in any event.

2. The tall storage cabinets and base cabinets lock-at least the drawer base cabinets lock The upper cabinets do not.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #37
KPSquared

I just found Titan Cabinets. . . seem to be exactly the same as Sabre but with the proper Canadian price point. . .blah.

http://www.titanstorage.ca/a_Cabinets.html

carbon copy of the sabre site. . . http://www.sabercabinets.com/a_Cabinets.html

Wonder what the deal there is? Made in China, sold to whatever bidder?
Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #38
fog32

Very nice job on the cabinets (and the rest of the garage from your other posts). I'm looking to do a very similar setup and was wondering if you could give the clear inside depth of the large cabinets? The website says the cabinets are 23.62" which I assume to be outside depth, but not inside. My wife and I already have tons of storage totes and hope they will fit the depth. Also, how do you like the tool drawers after they are weighted and worked in a little? You rated them a "7", which seems decent, but does the added weight of tools help the roll better?
Thanks!
fog32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #39
bdamico

Quote:
Originally Posted by fog32 View Post
Very nice job on the cabinets (and the rest of the garage from your other posts). I'm looking to do a very similar setup and was wondering if you could give the clear inside depth of the large cabinets? The website says the cabinets are 23.62" which I assume to be outside depth, but not inside. My wife and I already have tons of storage totes and hope they will fit the depth. Also, how do you like the tool drawers after they are weighted and worked in a little? You rated them a "7", which seems decent, but does the added weight of tools help the roll better?
Thanks!
I can take an inside measurement later. Everything rolls great. 7 is a good rating. It is impossible to give anything a 10 at this price point. Vault or Baldhead or something like that better be a 10--but this is way cheaper. I still say this is the best value out there. And I talked to Dean recently--he's coming out with these in black as well soon.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #40
68rustang

Where is the depth info listed on the website? I must have missed it and just emailed them asking about the Saber Magnum cabinets.

Any idea if the red finish matches the old Harbor Freight pinkish reddish toolbox wrinkle paint?
68rustang is offline   Reply With Quote